The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Thanks (that's why you didn't get a reply to your PM, sorry! Wasn't in the mood. I'll reply to it at some point.) - you're awesome. :hugs:

Please don't be sorry :smile: I totally understand! Hang in there buddy :yep:
Reply 521
Original post by Zacken
Not quite, got some really bad news concerning family and things just haven't been going good today. Oh well. :smile:

I hope everything will be okay soon, please don't let it get you down. We're always here if you do need to talk about it. :hugs:
Reply 522
The good news is that I've gained some confidence in Physics Units 4 and 5 over the weekend. I should do a few past papers to see where my knowledge is right about now. However, the bad news is that Chem 5 is still at a disastrous state - I tried a past paper and have observed severe lack of understanding in certain topics, so once again, it's back to basics. Mocks starting from the week following this, so I have to be in tip-top shape with everything. I haven't even started revising the FPs yet...
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I haven't even started revising the FPs yet...

I'm starting to forget how to do FP3 and S3 things already... darn.
The good news is that I've gained some confidence in Physics Units 4 and 5 over the weekend. I should do a few past papers to see where my knowledge is right about now. However, the bad news is that Chem 5 is still at a disastrous state - I tried a past paper and have observed severe lack of understanding in certain topics, so once again, it's back to basics. Mocks starting from the week following this, so I have to be in tip-top shape with everything. I haven't even started revising the FPs yet...

Original post by Zacken

When you have an FP3 mock in a week and you haven't revised at all

Reply 525
Original post by Zacken

Original post by Student403
When you have an FP3 mock in a week and you haven't revised at all

Whoever said that you should be practising FP3 consistently throughout the year was right. My Chem 5 and FP3 mocks are on the same day next week, ****. It's a'right boys, there's a good 3 months till the real thing, right? ...right?

You guys are so lucky you haven't done/don't need Chemistry for your offer - I don't think I'll ever need organic chem past A-level. My teacher said it'll take me 15 days to get to A* level. :rofl:

I'm gonna try some physics tomorrow morning :shot:
Whoever said that you should be practising FP3 consistently throughout the year was right. My Chem 5 and FP3 mocks are on the same day next week, ****. It's a'right boys, there's a good 3 months till the real thing, right? ...right?

You guys are so lucky you haven't done/don't need Chemistry for your offer - I don't think I'll ever need organic chem past A-level. My teacher said it'll take me 15 days to get to A* level. :rofl:

I'm gonna try some physics tomorrow morning :shot:

Yeah I hope so :frown: And ahhh that's unlucky. We believe in you though :ahee:
3rd March, 2016 - IAL Results Day!!! :redface:
As a few of you know, I've done my AS-level in Further Mathematics this January since [for reasons unknown to me back then] I didn't do it with my other ASes. I decided to sit F1, M2 and S1 so that I wasn't bombarded with exams in June 2016. My target was to achieve as high as possible on F1 and M2 so that I had a strong base to work with for my A2s.

My first exam was F1. I was getting consistent 74-75s in my mocks, but this exam was absolutely dreadful. To start off with, I was very unconfident about one of my "show thats" and then followed two nasty coordinate geometry questions which I absolutely ****ed up. To top it off, I wasn't very confident about my proof by induction either. I was sure I needed to retake in June, I was so upset. What was I getting, 58 tops? Boundaries made me even more unconfident seeing as they weren't any lower than before.

S1 was a nice exam - I didn't really do much for it either, just 2 recent IAL papers the night before the exam. I messed up one 2 marker in the exam for sure, though. Boundaries looked nice once they came out, not that I minded high ones in S1 since it'd go to my Maths anyway.

M2 ended off the session nicely; I definitely felt like I had an A* unless the boundaries were 70+ since I knew I was getting 69-72 raw. It felt like a synoptic paper seeing as many M1 topics came up, such as pulleys and impulse with collisions. Unfortunately, I didn't reach the correct answers for one 4 marker and one 2 marker, but I hoped to be awarded some method marks for it.

So, how did I end up doing, you ask? :ahee:

ZOMG RESULTS:

Overall, I'm satisfied - this means that I need 89 and 90 in my next best A2 FM modules and roughly an average 76 marks in the other 4 modules to get an A.

Definitely need to pull my **** together for this June!

Gratz!!!
Reply 528
Yeah I hope so :frown: And ahhh that's unlucky. We believe in you though :ahee:

The positive part is that I got 84/90 in Unit 4 after my teacher rechecked it again. Do you think I should be trying to go for the A* in Chemistry or utilise my time with the other 3? I mean, I only need 210 for an A and module 5 is killing me xD Maybe I'll try to get it perfect over the next 15 days like my teacher told me to.

Original post by Imperion
Gratz!!!

Thank you!!!
The positive part is that I got 84/90 in Unit 4 after my teacher rechecked it again. Do you think I should be trying to go for the A* in Chemistry or utilise my time with the other 3? I mean, I only need 210 for an A and module 5 is killing me xD Maybe I'll try to get it perfect over the next 15 days like my teacher told me to.

Thank you!!!

What's your offer again? Terrific job on Unit 4
Reply 530
What's your offer again? Terrific job on Unit 4

This is it:

This offer of admission remains valid provided you write the examinations for which you have registered and are expected to maintain your current level of academic achievement.

So basically, get 4 As or above, I think.
This is it:

So basically, get 4 As or above, I think.

Oh okay. Then I'd put equal attention on all that need work. I think you're good in maths and physics. Just put some added effort in to FM/Chem
Reply 532
Oh okay. Then I'd put equal attention on all that need work. I think you're good in maths and physics. Just put some added effort in to FM/Chem

Just what I was thinking. I'll stick to a rigid plan, but I'm catching myself procrastinating more often than not :angry: Thanks man! What are your mocks on, the whole syllabus or just a few chapters? Just for FM or for everything else as well?
Just what I was thinking. I'll stick to a rigid plan, but I'm catching myself procrastinating more often than not :angry: Thanks man! What are your mocks on, the whole syllabus or just a few chapters? Just for FM or for everything else as well?

Sounds great :yep:

Mocks:
-M2/S2 joint
-D1
-C4
-FP2/FP3 joint (aka satan's paper)
-Physics Unit 6
-German
Reply 534
Sounds great :yep:

Mocks:
-M2/S2 joint
-D1
-C4
-FP2/FP3 joint (aka satan's paper)
-Physics Unit 6
-German

It's like C34 on meth... Oh god. Haven't you done D1 already at AS?! SM2 also sounds like a pain :tongue:

Looks like we'll be suffering mocks together, old pal :colonhash:
It's like C34 on meth... Oh god. Haven't you done D1 already at AS?! SM2 also sounds like a pain :tongue:

Looks like we'll be suffering mocks together, old pal :colonhash:

More like on steroids which have been on steroids :cry: Nah we do it at A2 for some reason.

SM2 will be alright I think. M2 I find really easy and S2 is quite intuitive unlike it's stupid younger brother.

Indeed - and we shall emerge stronger :fight:
Reply 536
More like on steroids which have been on steroids :cry: Nah we do it at A2 for some reason.

SM2 will be alright I think. M2 I find really easy and S2 is quite intuitive unlike it's stupid younger brother.

Indeed - and we shall emerge stronger :fight:

Ah, so C3 instead of D1, that's kinda weird seeing as you can't get an FM grade. Disgusting 1. :ahee:

You must find M2 easy after doing everything past that. :laugh: S2 is really nice, but I can't be mean to S1 after it's been so kind to me. :tongue: Hopefully S2 is the same, although I've been inconsistent in my mocks. GBs look killer for the UK A-level, but IAL had it's first 70 raw mark boundary which Zacken suffered this Jan - scares me for the FP3-S2 lockdown in June.

Huzzah, old pal! :biggrin:
Yeah lol

So we ended up at the end of Y12 with an AS in Pure maths and an AS in FM

I definitely do - M3 helps a lot and I feel like I'm a lot more prepared than my classmates. And yeah true - you wrecked it! FP3-S2 is going to be a nightmare :afraid:
This needs updating. :talkhand:
Yes!! Awfully quiet couple of days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending