The Student Room Group

AH Applied Maths (Mechanics) - No physics?

I'm wondering how you would go about doing AH mechanics having not taken higher physics (bad decision, I know).
I've talked about it with the department and they've basically told me that I can't take applied maths without physics because they only teach it as a 'supplementary' subject in that it's only given two or three periods a week and consolidates on knowledge from the physics course.
I'd really like to be able to teach myself some of the course, even just the basics, before next year so I can go into school after summer and show them that I am capable.
This year I crashed French and took it out of the timetable so I have a slight idea of how it works- although I think learning a language is much easier than teaching yourself maths due to the endless intuitive websites and applications for language learning.

Does anybody know of any good resources or have any advice on self-teaching (science subjects)? Looking over the course notes doesn't seem to helping right now.
Has anybody taken AH Applied Maths? What did you think?

Thanks, hope you can help
Reply 1
Adv higher Mechanics employs both adv maths and adv physics. So if you are looking at learning the Higher Physics course I would recommend buying the bright red study book for it and then do past papers. Everything in the bright red book you must understand and learn. Hope this helps, anything else and just quote me

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A_Taylor

Does anybody know of any good resources or have any advice on self-teaching (science subjects)? Looking over the course notes doesn't seem to helping right now.
Has anybody taken AH Applied Maths? What did you think?

Thanks, hope you can help

Hey there!

So, I took AH Mechanics when I was in 6th year. It does involve a lot of maths and does rely on some physics knowledge, but from experience, the physics knowledge wasn't essential but helped greatly. Effectively, AH Mechanics is the cross over between AH Maths and AH Physics (at least in part of AH Physics), so taking the other two classes makes it much simpler. I took all three of those classes and Mechanics ended up being my most difficult class.

As JP said, the Bright Red books are great and helped me a lot in all of my classes - I would definitely recommend them.

I do have a question though: What are you looking to do after school? Mechanics screams going into an Engineering degree, or a related field, which means Physics is either required or at least highly desirable.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 3
Thanks, I'll definitely look into it. I'm using bright red for English this year and it's great.
Reply 4
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hey there!

So, I took AH Mechanics when I was in 6th year. It does involve a lot of maths and does rely on some physics knowledge, but from experience, the physics knowledge wasn't essential but helped greatly. Effectively, AH Mechanics is the cross over between AH Maths and AH Physics (at least in part of AH Physics), so taking the other two classes makes it much simpler. I took all three of those classes and Mechanics ended up being my most difficult class.

As JP said, the Bright Red books are great and helped me a lot in all of my classes - I would definitely recommend them.

I do have a question though: What are you looking to do after school? Mechanics screams going into an Engineering degree, or a related field, which means Physics is either required or at least highly desirable.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Thanks! I'm thinking about doing maths actually. I know applied maths isn't essential for a mathematics degree but I'm thinking of studying in England and I heard it helps a lot for STEP papers (also to show your interest). I honestly regret dropping physics in four year- I could've just taken AH physics next year instead.
I'm just concerned because next year I'm taking Maths, French and Spanish and I feel universities will think I'm applying for the wrong course.
loads of people take the mechanics modules at my sixth form without AL physics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending