The Student Room Group

Imperial maths or Warwick Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CharlieGEM
Don't know about that: my PhD supervisor recently won a Fields Medal. How many Canbridge academics got one in the last ten years?

To be honest socially I would find little to recommend one over the other except Warwick probably has a greater share of down to earth students. As for the relative proportion of tossers: I wasn't counting.

Any chance of an insight as to what Maths is like at Warwick?
Original post by DinduMuffin
Around the same level of difficulty as MAT, but less restrictive.

I give up. Go back to your A-level exams.
Reply 42
Original post by Inert1a
Any chance of an insight into what maths at warwick is like?

Lots of assignments; to do excellently you have to devote a fair bit of time, to do well, at least in first year, you can get away with leaving things late. Majority of lecturers are good and fairly engaging, a couple are...definitely not. The treatment of analysis in term 1 is very useful and helpful; there is lots of support in the form of classes and supervisions and tutorials. There is a nice degree of choice which I believe increases to a great extent the further along the course you are, so that 4th years are basically just choosing everything. First year exams seem rather forgiving so far as marks go (average was 67 on the couple we did in January); they were quite challenging to sit though so I assume marks were scaled.
In most core maths modules -and some outside maths are structured similarly-you do weekly or fortnightly assignments which tend to total 15% of the module, or 10% in some cases. These are quite useful for helping you to learn the material, forcing you to go over things. They are pretty much always split into A questions, easy warm-up questions, B questions, moderate questions intended for marking, and C questions, extension questions which nobody except the geniuses and the devotees tend to do, except perhaps if they need extra revision material for exams..
Supervisor, generally a fourth year of PHD student, marks these questions for core maths modules. In my case the supervisor is very helpful and gives good feedback. You have small "tutorial groups" of five or so; you share a personal tutor, some academic, and a supervisor.
Don't know about that: my PhD supervisor recently won a Fields Medal. How many Cambridge academics got one in the last ten years?

To be honest socially I would find little to recommend one over the other except Warwick probably has a greater share of down to earth students. As for the relative proportion of tossers: I wasn't counting.

Fair enough. Cambridge's atmosphere is more conducive to Maths-binging though.
Original post by Inert1a
A debate of old, which one is better need some opinions.

Dont listen to @TeeEm slagging off Warwick.

He's just butthurt because his crush picked a Warwick grad over him :lol:

I went to Warwick myself, and both are very good unis and very good at maths. But I would pick Imperial in this case because it has the better overall uni rep.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just out of interest (and maybe out of interest for others too) does Imperial let you choose between MAT and STEP? so if you dont do MAT in November they could still give you an offer with STEP conditions, right?
Reply 46
Original post by Death Grips
Dont listen to @TeeEm slagging off Warwick.

He's just butthurt because his crush picked a Warwick grad over him :lol:

I went to Warwick myself, and both are very good unis and very good at maths. But I would pick Imperial in this case because it has the better overall uni rep.

You are entitled to your opinion.
Original post by TeeEm
You are entitled to your opinion.

I love that you mentioned the thing about your crush btw.

You almost make it sound like if she had known your maths skills were superior to the Warwick guy's then she would have gone out with you instead :lol:
Reply 48
Original post by DylanJ42
Just out of interest (and maybe out of interest for others too) does Imperial let you choose between MAT and STEP? so if you dont do MAT in November they could still give you an offer with STEP conditions, right?

idk except that there are people (well, might just be 1) on the Imperial Offers thread with strong MAT scores who didn't get asked for a STEP offer. So on that basis I think the answer may be yes....
Original post by Death Grips

You almost make it sound like if she had known your maths skills were superior to the Warwick guy's then she would have gone out with you instead :lol:

Duh! How else would you choose?
Original post by Inert1a
Any chance of an insight as to what Maths is like at Warwick?

I quite enjoyed it. Lots of different courses, and you can do 50% more than the standard load if you like. There is a pure stream and an applied stream (and you can almost do both). I think Warwick has a few standout superstars in the newer areas of pure and applied maths that are better than even the faculty that Cambridge has to offer even if the overall quality of the Cambridge faculty is higher.

In the last two years you get a lot of freedom to choose courses and can even do PhD level courses if you want. Do be slightly careful, the average mark in quite a few courses is artificially set to be a 2.2 so there is competitive marking hence you can make your degree super hard if you want.

Employment wise, it has been a bit of a disaster. I graduated as the top student a decade ago with an above perfect GPA using the average the maths department uses, and it took 9 months to get a second rate IB job in 2011. A second rate engineering job followed. I'm not even in a graduate level job now. Maybe things would have worked out slightly differently if I had taken different job offers, who knows.
Original post by jneill
idk except that there are people (well, might just be 1) on the Imperial Offers thread with strong MAT scores who didn't get asked for a STEP offer. So on that basis I think the answer may be yes....

oh so most people who do MAT for Imperial get asked for STEP too? jesus that's harsher than oxfords requirements

i thought it was one or the other (mat or step) but people are asked for both, wow
Reply 52
Original post by DylanJ42
oh so most people who do MAT for Imperial get asked for STEP too? jesus that's harsher than oxfords requirements

i thought it was one or the other (mat or step) but people are asked for both, wow

I've just checked ICL's site:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/mathematics-department/mathematics/
"In addition, candidates who have a borderline mark in their MAT paper may be considered for a STEP offer if they have indicated that they are taking STEP II or III on their UCAS form."

So doing MAT *and* STEP is probably uncommon...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
Most people here know 2 thing about me

Cambridge/Oxford/Imperial/UCL (The rest are not even there as far as I am concerned)

I would not go to Warwick even if you paid me the £9000 fees per annum

End of transmission.

In what universe does UCL belong to the COWI group? There's being biased and then there's flat out lies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
In what universe does UCL belong to the COWI group? There's being biased and then there's flat out lies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao a Data Science undergrad trying to knock down UCL Maths bitch please.
Reply 55
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the Universe of Experience ... Something that you are lacking.
All the best.
Fair enough. Cambridge's atmosphere is more conducive to Maths-binging though.

Maybe. I preferred the moors of Devon for maths binging to either.
I quite enjoyed it. Lots of different courses, and you can do 50% more than the standard load if you like.

This isn't true anymore. You can still learn as much as you want but can only register for 125% of standard.
lmao a Data Science undergrad trying to knock down UCL Maths bitch please.

LOOOOOOL! Tbf, I just wanted to join in on the dick measuring contest..
Original post by jneill
I've just checked ICL's site:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/mathematics-department/mathematics/
"In addition, candidates who have a borderline mark in their MAT paper may be considered for a STEP offer if they have indicated that they are taking STEP II or III on their UCAS form."

So doing MAT *and* STEP is probably uncommon...

that's not so bad then, Imperial and Oxford seem to have identical requirements also, I didn't realise Imperial had requirements that high but there you go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending