The Student Room Group

Explain how i and j notation works please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Vikingninja
The hats are for in the direction. Without the hats is for the position as in for a location.

I don't see how this makes sense. The hats are for unit vector. Not for in the direction.
Original post by Zacken
I don't see how this makes sense. The hats are for unit vector. Not for in the direction.

As in the vector in that direction. e.g. 6i^ has a length of 6 in the x direction. As far as I'm aware without the hat is the position of a graph, e.g. 6i on a graph is at 6 on the x direction
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
As in the vector in that direction. e.g. 6i has a length of 6 in the x direction.

Yeah, I know. I was questioning the use of 6i^6\hat{i} v/s 6i6i.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I know. I was questioning the use of 6i^6\hat{i} v/s 6i6i.

Just edited the second part afterwards. With no hat its not a vector but a position. Some questions will give two points with i, j and k and you need to work out the vector between them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
As in the vector in that direction. e.g. 6i^ has a length of 6 in the x direction.
this

and
As far as I'm aware without the hat is the position of a graph, e.g. 6i on a graph is at 6 on the x direction
this

are the exact same things.
Original post by Zacken
this

and this

are the exact same things.

What I mean with the hat is that its a vector/length in that direction, without the hat its a position and does not create a length along that direction. Between two points the vector would have hats as its a length.

With my example of without the hats its at a position of 6 in the x direction and would be 6 from the origin if it were a unit vector.
Reply 26
What I mean with the hat is that its a vector/length in that direction, without the hat its a position and does not create a length along that direction. Between two points the vector would have hats as its a length.

Draw the position vector 6i6i. It's an arrow starting from the origin and extends upwards 6 units.
Original post by Zacken
Draw the position vector 6i6i. It's an arrow starting from the origin and extends upwards 6 units.

Oh right then, I'll need to read up my vectors then.
Original post by Zacken

With standard orientation of the axes it extends right, not upwards.
Reply 29
Original post by morgan8002
With standard orientation of the axes it extends right, not upwards.

:facepalm: I was thinking of complex numbers. :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
:facepalm: I was thinking of complex numbers. :rofl:

Another reason I prefer the hat version.
Reply 31

Good point...

I like hats, but not i,j,k.
It's all about e^1\hat{e}_1, etc.

(I'm currently doing some work on suffix notation and using the numbers rather than x,y,z or i,j,k makes things a lot easier later on down the line :colondollar:)
Original post by rayquaza17
I like hats, but not i,j,k.
It's all about e^1\hat{e}_1, etc.

(I'm currently doing some work on suffix notation and using the numbers rather than x,y,z or i,j,k makes things a lot easier later on down the line :colondollar:)

Had some notes using e^i and a few months later I have no clue what I was on about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Had some notes using e^i and a few months later I have no clue what I was on about

Posted from TSR Mobile

eie^i or eie_i? Two very different things!
eie^i or eie_i? Two very different things!

The latter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36

Orthogonal vectors that form a orthonormal basis. :yep: (from what little I know, somebody jump in and correct me! :tongue: )
Original post by Zacken
Orthogonal vectors that form a orthonormal basis. :yep: (from what little I know, somebody jump in and correct me! :tongue: )

From what I recall they're components? I'll check tomorrow and get back to you but I recall reading about them to show why vector addition works

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
From what I recall they're components? I'll check tomorrow and get back to you but I recall reading about them to show why vector addition works

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah like e_1 is the same as x. It's just a different way of writing it. (No latex as I'm on my phone, sorry)
Yeah like e_1 is the same as x. It's just a different way of writing it. (No latex as I'm on my phone, sorry)

And the I denotes which unit vector it denotes right, so e_3 would be equivalent to k?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest