The Student Room Group

A-level history

Can anyone give me some advice on A-level history? As I'm taking it at GCSE, I got an A* in the coursework, I get A's in the mocks and I can also retain the necessary information quite well. I'm just not entirely sure as to how hard it will be and whether or not an A at GCSE would necessarily equate to an A at A-level.
Any help would be appreciated
I had an A* in GCSE History. A at AS and currently in A2, with a prediction of A (had an A in the mock exam).

It is a step up from GCSE, for definite. Though I'm doing WJEC which I've not found many others doing, plus you will be doing the new spec which I have heard is harder as there is more content to cover in the time than when I did it.

Typically it seems you go to A Level and teachers tell you that some of the techniques you learnt at GCSE are wrong to do at A Level. I found this difficult mostly for writing the essay questions, because the layout was different than what I'd done well with at GCSE, in fact my A level teacher told me that at GCSE history they "ruin you". In regards to the coursework it is also harder but I've not found it that bad, and not much different to my GCSE coursework, there's just more to getting the marks and more time that needs to be spent on it.
Reply 2
Do you know what exam board you do?

I do history A Level (year 12), and if you're on the same board as us (AQA I think), it is a MASSIVE step up

For GCSE, if you did OCR or similar, the biggest question was about 9 marks or so at the end of the paper. Lots of little questions. Analysing a cartoon, etc etc.

For A Level, there's two questions per paper 25 marks each. A source analysis question (two written sources are given, and the question is something like "using your knowledge of the time period and the sources, which is more useful to a historian studying the US's involvement in Asia from 1949-1960) and then a choice of two questions that will be something like "to what extent did Henry VII achieve his objectives from 1485-1509"
The MASSIVE step up here, really is the essay writing skills. At GCSE, imo, you can learn a simple structure and with good contextual knowledge get full marks. However at A Level there is SO MUCH emphasis placed on analytical skills which really are difficult to get to grips with. But don't let this put you off it is still interesting and with essay practice you will get there in the end

However, an A at GCSE will not necessarily equate to an A at A-Level. It could, definitely, but don't just assume because you did it at GCSE you're sorted for A Level; as long as you do all the work, read around the subject etc etc, there is no reason you can't do just as well. (But don't let your GCSE grades make you complacent!)

Any questions just ask :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Daito
Can anyone give me some advice on A-level history? As I'm taking it at GCSE, I got an A* in the coursework, I get A's in the mocks and I can also retain the necessary information quite well. I'm just not entirely sure as to how hard it will be and whether or not an A at GCSE would necessarily equate to an A at A-level.
Any help would be appreciated

As others have said, it's a big step from GCSE to A Level, but I've personally found that's because the analysis is more demanding than GCSE and those GCSE skills are practically useless (my teacher said they were useful for the source analysis on our Nazi Germany paper, but that was certainly not true; we analysed the sources totally differently!). I did/am doing AQA, and I got an A last year in AS after an A* on the same exam board for GCSE, and I'm predicted (and got in my mock) an A* at A2 Level. I've found that AS is much harder than A2, but that's unlikely the case with the new A Level.

However - if you like History, you're willing to read around a bit and you're okay with sitting down and just learning bits of it (more Historians than dates, believe it or not) then I'd say it's a very enjoyable and worthwhile A Level. I feel like I've got a lot out of it, and I'll be sad to leave it behind (though not totally - Historical Linguistics ftw) for my degree. I would advocate History any day - but please don't expect to get by on little to no work and don't expect it to naturally flow from an A at GCSE to an A at A Level. After all, in my first essays for AS I was getting Ds, and I came out with 100% in one of the papers. It's about steady perserverance.
Reply 4
Original post by -CarpeDiem-
I had an A* in GCSE History. A at AS and currently in A2, with a prediction of A (had an A in the mock exam).

It is a step up from GCSE, for definite. Though I'm doing WJEC which I've not found many others doing, plus you will be doing the new spec which I have heard is harder as there is more content to cover in the time than when I did it.

Typically it seems you go to A Level and teachers tell you that some of the techniques you learnt at GCSE are wrong to do at A Level. I found this difficult mostly for writing the essay questions, because the layout was different than what I'd done well with at GCSE, in fact my A level teacher told me that at GCSE history they "ruin you". In regards to the coursework it is also harder but I've not found it that bad, and not much different to my GCSE coursework, there's just more to getting the marks and more time that needs to be spent on it.

Oh, ok. I had presumed that the layout would more or less stay the same(Point Evidence Explain etc etc). In what ways would you say that the format of answering questions changes?
Reply 5
Original post by AdamCee
Do you know what exam board you do?

I do history A Level (year 12), and if you're on the same board as us (AQA I think), it is a MASSIVE step up

For GCSE, if you did OCR or similar, the biggest question was about 9 marks or so at the end of the paper. Lots of little questions. Analysing a cartoon, etc etc.

For A Level, there's two questions per paper 25 marks each. A source analysis question (two written sources are given, and the question is something like "using your knowledge of the time period and the sources, which is more useful to a historian studying the US's involvement in Asia from 1949-1960) and then a choice of two questions that will be something like "to what extent did Henry VII achieve his objectives from 1485-1509"
The MASSIVE step up here, really is the essay writing skills. At GCSE, imo, you can learn a simple structure and with good contextual knowledge get full marks. However at A Level there is SO MUCH emphasis placed on analytical skills which really are difficult to get to grips with. But don't let this put you off it is still interesting and with essay practice you will get there in the end

However, an A at GCSE will not necessarily equate to an A at A-Level. It could, definitely, but don't just assume because you did it at GCSE you're sorted for A Level; as long as you do all the work, read around the subject etc etc, there is no reason you can't do just as well. (But don't let your GCSE grades make you complacent!)

Any questions just ask :smile:

Uhhh, I 'believe' that we do edexel but I'm not entirely sure.
What sort if things do they give you in the sources? Is it like GCSE where they'll provide a picture or written text about something significant in that period and ask for how it's useful or is it different?

In your opinion how much extra work should you put in at A-level?

Thanks for your reply btw
Reply 6
Original post by rhensis
As others have said, it's a big step from GCSE to A Level, but I've personally found that's because the analysis is more demanding than GCSE and those GCSE skills are practically useless (my teacher said they were useful for the source analysis on our Nazi Germany paper, but that was certainly not true; we analysed the sources totally differently!). I did/am doing AQA, and I got an A last year in AS after an A* on the same exam board for GCSE, and I'm predicted (and got in my mock) an A* at A2 Level. I've found that AS is much harder than A2, but that's unlikely the case with the new A Level.

However - if you like History, you're willing to read around a bit and you're okay with sitting down and just learning bits of it (more Historians than dates, believe it or not) then I'd say it's a very enjoyable and worthwhile A Level. I feel like I've got a lot out of it, and I'll be sad to leave it behind (though not totally - Historical Linguistics ftw) for my degree. I would advocate History any day - but please don't expect to get by on little to no work and don't expect it to naturally flow from an A at GCSE to an A at A Level. After all, in my first essays for AS I was getting Ds, and I came out with 100% in one of the papers. It's about steady perserverance.

When you say that that's unlikely to be the case with the new A-level, is that because AS will be easier and A2 harder or is it that AS will remain as difficult but they are just going to make A2 harder?
Reply 7
Well everyone is different but I can say how GCSE and AS achievement correlated for me. History was one of my best subjects at GCSE; I think I got 99% UMS in the end. I did AS History and had a bit of a weird experience. 100% in one exam, 70% in another. I think the teaching probably had a lot to do with it, but in general the source analysis stuff is more demanding I think. I would say you need to know more information overall, you need to be able to say more interesting and pertinent things about this information, and you need to be more organised in your writing in general. You also need to delve deeper when it comes to sources, and make more sophisticated points.
Reply 8
Original post by Daito
When you say that that's unlikely to be the case with the new A-level, is that because AS will be easier and A2 harder or is it that AS will remain as difficult but they are just going to make A2 harder?

I said that because I assumed you'd be doing a linear A-Level, meaning you wouldn't have AS exams... It's hard to keep up though, so History might not be changing yet? I'm not sure - if it still has an AS, I suspect it'll be the same as it is now; the reason A2 is easier is because once coursework is done you have only half the amount to learn for exams compared to AS History.
Reply 9
Original post by rhensis
I said that because I assumed you'd be doing a linear A-Level, meaning you wouldn't have AS exams... It's hard to keep up though, so History might not be changing yet? I'm not sure - if it still has an AS, I suspect it'll be the same as it is now; the reason A2 is easier is because once coursework is done you have only half the amount to learn for exams compared to AS History.

Oh, yeah. Sorry- I do remember being told about that, I had just forgotten:colondollar:
In light of that, I feel as though you're probablt right.
Original post by Daito
Uhhh, I 'believe' that we do edexel but I'm not entirely sure.
What sort if things do they give you in the sources? Is it like GCSE where they'll provide a picture or written text about something significant in that period and ask for how it's useful or is it different?

In your opinion how much extra work should you put in at A-level?

Thanks for your reply btw

It's different to GCSE in that it will never be a cartoon, always an extract of text. I'm not sure how much Edexcel will differ from AQA; try Googling for a specimen paper for the new spec that you're doing (since it started this year, there aren't any actual papers so only specimens available) and have a look at that. It really does depend on the question to be honest, I've seen a variety. The main ones I've seen that come to mind are
"Which source do you find more useful... (eg for understanding America's attitude towards the Cuban Missile Crisis, etc)"
"Using the source and your own knowledge, to what extent... (do you agree Henry VII's foreign policies were a disaster)"

But it is a VERY different structure to what you use at GCSE.
If you followed the same as us you did the very structured "this source shows... We know this by... This relates to...". At A Level it's more like (and I am being very, very rough here please don't take it as an essay guide, just an idea) "state a point directly relating to the question, find evidence in the source, talk about the author, time it was written, tone, etc etc, give an opinion as to if you agree with what they have to say, say why actually you might be wrong and others might think differently, say why you're right" x3/4 or so. (Going to say that again please don't use as an essay guide, just to kind of compare the techniques between GCSE and A Level) - it seems daunting, and tbh it is a challenge, but much like anything you learn how to structure it through trial and error

In terms of extra work, it really depends on you as a person. Imho, if you're naturally quite a bright student (and if you're currently at A grade then that's evident), up until roughly this time next year as long as you use your free periods productively and do reading around the subject, you really shouldn't have a problem at all.

Quick Reply

Latest