The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Gonna be honest, everyone in my A-level Maths class has an A* at GCSE so if you only got a B you're gonna have to work like a bastard

Of course that goes without saying, even if I got an A or A* I'd still have to work hard :P
Reply 21
Original post by TeeEm
not a good idea ...

Not going to lie, not exactly the most useful answer, why is it not a good idea :smile:
it really depends, if you did no revision and got a B, you probably have enough aptitude to get a decent grade.
Reply 23
Original post by MrRobot
Not going to lie, not exactly the most useful answer, why is it not a good idea :smile:

because you will struggle as the odds are heavily stacked against you.
Reply 24
Original post by Dapperblook22
It's definately possible to do A Level Maths with a B in GCSE. I was in 2nd set for GCSE Maths, and we were predicted to get at the most an A, however half of the A*s in my school came from 2nd set - myself included (it felt good to match set 1 who were studing Further Maths :u:)

However, I have seen people who got As in Maths GCSE struggle and eventually drop out at A Level. This was mostly due to their work ethic however, in our free lessons they would just not complete set work. If you have a good work ethic and willing to work hard then there is no reason not to take A Level Maths with a B grade at GCSE :smile:.

Nice! My main concern is simply because I didn't do anything for my GCSE and came out with a B it could mean I could've done a lot better but at the same time it does make me question if I can actually do the A level as my teacher didn't bother to even try teach us anything higher than a B grade.

Original post by morgan8002
The requirements to do A-level maths are usually a B at GCSE. The grade at GCSE doesn't really tell you much about ability though because some schools don't teach everything and some schools don't teach anything. You're best off studying some AS content and seeing how you go(either self-study some now or wait until you start school/college).

edit: While you're asking about maths, the same applies to physics in terms of the maths required.

Hmm yeah my school chose not to teach the second set above B grade which was stupid but since I have a few months until September I'm able to make up the difference and see if I can do some AS content! :biggrin:

Original post by Jammysmithy
I'm doing AS Maths and I got a B at GCSE - first few topics are tricky in C1 without the A/A* GCSE stuff but once you learn those then it's fine. I actually was in the same situation as you - set 2 - only expected to achieve a B - wasn't even taught the A/A* stuff. You won't fail but the first like month is quite hard. Good Luck!

Original post by Amzzyy
They did the same thing with Set 2 in my school. I believe you can do Maths because there are some people in my Sixth Form doing Maths who got C's.
:console:

Wow as if your school did the same too! I'd like to think I can do it haha :P
Original post by MrRobot
Title says it all really, but will add some background info!

So I got a B at GCSE in Maths. I was in the second set (next set up being the top), in which the teacher said that because we were the second set we expect everyone to ONLY achieve a B, to which they barely taught us anything harder than B grade. Which personally I thought was ridiculous but at the time I really did't care (definitely don't have that attitude now!)

I've always enjoyed maths and found it quite simple but when it came to sitting exams for GCSE Maths I didn't bother doing anything for it, I didn't do any past papers or practicing, I just went off of memory. I unfortunately had the same attitude towards my other GCSEs too and went off of memory.

Surprisingly I came out with some good GCSEs 10 A*-C, the most important for me being A* in Chemistry, History, A in Physics, Biology, B in Maths, these are the ones I'm considering for A-levels.

FYI - I have had to take 2 years out of education due to ill health and hence why I'm posting this in March and not sometime after results day :bigsmile:

90% of this post was my situation except they only expected us to achieve a C hence why I had to badger to sit the higher paper
Reply 26
Original post by TeeEm
because you will struggle as the odds are heavily stacked against you.

I completely understand that, but I have 4/5 months to make up any gaps I have as I was never given the opportunity to learn the A/A* stuff at GCSE as the teacher chose to not bother teaching it to us and for my poor attitude for not self teaching or revising back then.

I can guarantee I will struggle with certain things not denying that as I wont understand everything 100% straight away but there is nothing hard work and right attitude can solve...well at least that is what I think haha :P

Yeah as you would be able to guess I really regret doing that and not revising and teaching myself the bits I was never taught, maybe I should resit the GCSE maths exam
Original post by MrRobot
I completely understand that, but I have 4/5 months to make up any gaps I have as I was never given the opportunity to learn the A/A* stuff at GCSE as the teacher chose to not bother teaching it to us and for my poor attitude for not self teaching or revising back then.

I can guarantee I will struggle with certain things not denying that as I wont understand everything 100% straight away but there is nothing hard work and right attitude can solve...well at least that is what I think haha :P

Yeah as you would be able to guess I really regret doing that and not revising and teaching myself the bits I was never taught, maybe I should resit the GCSE maths exam

i recommend resitting the GCSE then take the A-Level if you get a high A/A*
Reply 28
Definitely something I am considering to be honest
You have to realise from your colleges prospective you haven't been able to demonstrate your ability in maths at a suitably high level, all of which is compounded by the fact its two years since you've taken GCSE maths. Most places will want an A for maths at AS and in general people who get bellow this tend not to do well and drop the subject after poor AS results. I think the fact that you haven't been taught A* maths is worrying as well because those skills are essential and taken as a given when starting c1/2, your college probably would be more lenient if your poor grade was down to illness or other circumstances rather than just plainly not being taught the subject.

Essentially when your taught AS maths everyone in that class will be of a certain standard and the tutors,as a result of this, won't account for people who are bellow this when teaching. You have to prove your ability rather than your college second guessing your potential, which will be hampered by your limit of mathematical knowledge.

It's still possible to enter as an independent candidate for GCSE maths (If you asked your college they may let you take it there this summer), which would make your college much more confident in allowing you to take maths next and achieving an A* isn't particularly difficult with proper revision.
Original post by waagh
Set 2 only aiming for a B? In my set 2 they tell us that we're pretty much set 1 but we can't have 60 people in a class can we?

typically for A-level you need A in maths but it depends on your college/sixth form. probably have to do an entrance test.

In my class, some of set 1 were getting Cs. Set 1 was like the only class not doing foundation.
Original post by MrRobot
Title says it all really, but will add some background info!

So I got a B at GCSE in Maths. I was in the second set (next set up being the top), in which the teacher said that because we were the second set we expect everyone to ONLY achieve a B, to which they barely taught us anything harder than B grade. Which personally I thought was ridiculous but at the time I really did't care (definitely don't have that attitude now!)

I've always enjoyed maths and found it quite simple but when it came to sitting exams for GCSE Maths I didn't bother doing anything for it, I didn't do any past papers or practicing, I just went off of memory. I unfortunately had the same attitude towards my other GCSEs too and went off of memory.

Surprisingly I came out with some good GCSEs 10 A*-C, the most important for me being A* in Chemistry, History, A in Physics, Biology, B in Maths, these are the ones I'm considering for A-levels.

FYI - I have had to take 2 years out of education due to ill health and hence why I'm posting this in March and not sometime after results day :bigsmile:

you need to start revising for exams, and doing homework when set, instead of at the last minute. Otherwise uni is going to come as a big shock to you, i'm afraid to say!!
Reply 32
Original post by Astrtricks
You have to realise from your colleges prospective you haven't been able to demonstrate your ability in maths at a suitably high level, all of which is compounded by the fact its two years since you've taken GCSE maths. Most places will want an A for maths at AS and in general people who get bellow this tend not to do well and drop the subject after poor AS results. I think the fact that you haven't been taught A* maths is worrying as well because those skills are essential and taken as a given when starting c1/2, your college probably would be more lenient if your poor grade was down to illness or other circumstances rather than just plainly not being taught the subject.

Essentially when your taught AS maths everyone in that class will be of a certain standard and the tutors,as a result of this, won't account for people who are bellow this when teaching. You have to prove your ability rather than your college second guessing your potential, which will be hampered by your limit of mathematical knowledge.

It's still possible to enter as an independent candidate for GCSE maths (If you asked your college they may let you take it there this summer), which would make your college much more confident in allowing you to take maths next and achieving an A* isn't particularly difficult with proper revision.

Yeah, although I may not have been taught certain parts it's also partially my fault too for not trying harder and teaching myself it. I completely understand where any school/college would be coming from when they say they'd be skeptical. But yes I'm definitely considering resitting the Maths GCSE exams to prove I can do it.
Reply 33
Original post by john2054
you need to start revising for exams, and doing homework when set, instead of at the last minute. Otherwise uni is going to come as a big shock to you, i'm afraid to say!!

Sadly I realised this way too late for my GCSEs, as I've had a few health issue's, it's definitely changed me and I need to knuckle down :P
Reply 34
Would like to say thank you to everyone that's posting and sharing their opinions be it good or bad, the more opinions the better :smile:
Original post by MrRobot
Sadly I realised this way too late for my GCSEs, as I've had a few health issue's, it's definitely changed me and I need to knuckle down :P

can you resit them at college?
Reply 36
Original post by john2054
can you resit them at college?

I'm hoping I can, I would be a little confused if I wasn't able to, but if I have the option I would happily do so!
Original post by MrRobot
I'm hoping I can, I would be a little confused if I wasn't able to, but if I have the option I would happily do so!

you need to call up your local college, or at least check their website out, and maybe write them an email, to see what your full options are with regards to resits. Also have you heard of an access qualiifcation? you need cs in english and maths, but if you get the access you can go straight on to a degree at your local uni. that's what i did,
Original post by MrRobot
Yeah, although I may not have been taught certain parts it's also partially my fault too for not trying harder and teaching myself it. I completely understand where any school/college would be coming from when they say they'd be skeptical. But yes I'm definitely considering resitting the Maths GCSE exams to prove I can do it.

I really don't think if your circumstances are as you describe that you can be blamed for underachievement but none the less its a barrier to studying maths at a higher level.
I had a B in maths and although they were reluctant af and I had to really pull my cards out for half an hour to persuade them, they did accept me. Going for an A this year, so it definitely is possible.

Latest