The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

LMAO No one here will make front office. Best chance is probably Director of Branch Project Managing.
Original post by DinduMuffin
LMAO No one here will make front office. Best chance is probably Director of Branch Project Managing.

Never ceases to amaze me how people hear of the money and suddenly decide they want to work in investment banking, without any knowledge of the industry or roles. Best of luck with that, most of your competition have been preparing to apply for these roles for 12-24 months, longer in some cases.
Original post by Fickschlitten
You speak sense.

OP, what is your definition of 'massive amounts of money'.

Couple of mm? Possible
Bns? - No.

I agree it's not possible to become a billionaire.

However, it is worth pointing out the CEOs of Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan are both now billionaires. It would be almost impossible to repeat what they have done though.
Personally I would be happy on the salary of analyst 1
no you wouldn't haha, mcdonalds wage on an hourly basis
Original post by gr8wizard10
no you wouldn't haha, mcdonalds wage on an hourly basis

Dat £3.00 odd maccies wage doe :drool:
we get mercedes e-classees / s-classes to drive us home tho :biggrin:
we get mercedes e-classees / s-classes to drive us home tho :biggrin:

Have you done IB work before? Like a spring week or an internship placement during the summer?

You're so fancy :wink:
ya, a few of both
Reply 49
Original post by Kiltennel
Never ceases to amaze me how people hear of the money and suddenly decide they want to work in investment banking, without any knowledge of the industry or roles. Best of luck with that, most of your competition have been preparing to apply for these roles for 12-24 months, longer in some cases.

IB is **** and gay. Low employment security, high competition, so dispensable, with the besr case scenario low millions. An uneducated car parts stripper can probably make low millions over time with less hassle. A legion of Wall street fantasists who will slave away making CEOs rich while they pound hookers and play golf.

quite a few people on here have internships and grad offers

Okay.
Original post by Prajna
IB is **** and gay. Low employment security, high competition, so dispensable, with the besr case scenario low millions. An uneducated car parts stripper can probably make low millions over time with less hassle. A legion of Wall street fantasists who will slave away making CEOs rich while they pound hookers and play golf.

salt levels are high
salt levels are high

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funny how everyone always forgets about the higher tax bracket.
Original post by King Scorchy
Are there opportunities to make huge amounts of wealth in investment banking?

Would you be able to make massive money by learning how the big banks invest and applying it to your own capital?

And how would this happen?

Why is it important?

Also, yes, front running is a great idea.

Harsh.
Original post by leavingthecity
Why is it important?

Also, yes, front running is a great idea.

Why is it not important? Most people go into banking for the money, and to a lesser extent, the opportunities.
Original post by Trapz99
Why is it not important? Most people go into banking for the money, and to a lesser extent, the opportunities.

People don't go into IB to make MASSIVE money unless they are really clueless.

It's smarter and more common to actually go into it for the opportunities. As in the exit opportunities. If you are lucky you could post IB be making massive money somewhere.

Personally, I don't have the urge to make loads of money anymore.
quite a few people on here have internships and grad offers

Guys this guy is an IB or he's going to become one :smile: so yes its possible for people on TSR to become one!
Good luck the gr8wizard XD I hope you all the success and good luck with the stressful environment (im sure you'll cope haha!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending