The Student Room Group

White privilege?

Okay so does it exist in the U.K. Because I'm a firm believer it doesn't and I've never met someone who believes it does and yet all these American videos are getting so angry about it. Also, racism in general seems to be a much bigger problem in America but does anyone wonder if this is caused by the ethnic minorities segregating themselves. After watching videos posted by very well known channels on YouTube I realised that ethnic minorities are seriously racist towards white people online (and yet expect no sort of racism in return)and looking at the comments that's completely okay. Plus they create this us vs them mentality? Is anyone else seeing this. Please have a look at some of these, I'm curious in opinions because I feel like I'm the only person who is seeing this?!
(And for the record yes I'm a white girl, born and raised in the uk)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jambojim97
Stfu and check your privilege you white, cisgendered, heterosexual scumbag.

This is a troll right? :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
This is a troll right? :':wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

IS THAT A REFERENCE TO MY WEIGHT?!! Stop oppressing my body positivity!
It definately does exist in the UK considering that UK is a majoirty white country but it might place less emphasis on major cities such as London because the ethic minorities take the majoirty if that makes sense. It is even a bigger problem in America whereby people are being shot because of being black so I can definately see the anger that these so called youtubers are talking about. White priviledge/supremecy does exist.

Do you remeber dylan cooper? A white man that shot a group of innocent black people and then when he got called in by the police they gave him a bullet proof vest top and bought him some food. - White supremecy at it's finest ey?
If it was a black man that commited a massacre they would be shot immediately or the least would be them getting dragged into prison and would not be labelled as being "mentally ill"

And thas just one of the very few examples of white supremecy.
Original post by loveleest
It definately does exist in the UK considering that UK is a majoirty white country but it might place less emphasis on major cities such as London because the ethic minorities take the majoirty if that makes sense. It is even a bigger problem in America whereby people are being shot because of being black so I can definately see the anger that these so called youtubers are talking about. White priviledge/supremecy does exist.

Do you remeber dylan cooper? A white man that shot a group of innocent black people and then when he got called in by the police they gave him a bullet proof vest top and bought him some food. - White supremecy at it's finest ey?
If it was a black man that commited a massacre they would be shot immediately or the least would be them getting dragged into prison and would not be labelled as being "mentally ill"

And thas just one of the very few examples of white supremecy.

Just because there are more white people doesn't mean they have privilege?! If a black and white person go up for a job the one that performs better in the interview and has more qualifications gets the job, it is nothing to do with ethnicity. Or pay scales are decided on ethnicity etc. Currently more of my coloured friends are getting the better uni places (by a fair margin as well)- this doesn't mean black privilege exists. I can't find any solid evidence of it existing in the uk? Can you give me some facts and sources?

Could you point me to a source for the Dylan cooper case because no I don't remember it and can't find anything online supporting what you've said so can you point me in the right direction?
Also if your account of the case is true the white person would be shot as well (as a last resort), the same way this Dylan guy probably was. Police here aren't as trigger happy as America as they get legally charged for doing their job and doing what they believe to be right (which should include shooting dangerous people even though this usually leads to a conviction)

Posted from TSR Mobile
White privilege definitely exists in the US - a white American is generally treated as a "person", while an "ethnic" is subject to the stereotypes associated with their race. It is almost like a caste system; a poor white person is still white, and therefore has the potential to be the next Bill Gates/Bill Clinton/Taylor Swift. Everyone else will only ever achieve their ethnically-assigned status.

Whatever white privilege exists in Britain is usually related to the fact that Britain is a majority white British nation, with the natives being white British. However, your destiny/personality is not determined by your "racial type", so I would say, the white privilege in Britain is less beneficial for the British whites, while for American whites, being white is like winning the "genetic lottery".
This has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLoel5EKT34

What a di*ck.
Original post by JamesN88
This has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLoel5EKT34

What a di*ck.

Sort of unrelated but OMG it's funny I can't even :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because there are more white people doesn't mean they have privilege?! If a black and white person go up for a job the one that performs better in the interview and has more qualifications gets the job.... Currently more of my coloured friends are getting the better uni places (by a fair margin as well)

This is a good point, and I feel this pretty much never happens in the U.S.
- Schools/neighborhoods are segregated by race and income
- Richer schools, better teachers, better curriculum (the education system is not standardized)
- For historic reasons, whites are richer, therefore better educated, and have better teachers
- Ultimately, the whites are often the "better" candidate. Unfortunately they were given a completely different education, and this is where we get back to white privilege
- Asian immigrants (and other H1-B immigrants), notably, are the only minorities not to be dragged down by the segregated education system.
There will always be a bias towards the majority group in any western country.

With a 89%(?) white population, we will always have a majority of white leaders, politicians, police, business leaders, etc.

Unfortunately, as much as we are now educated enough to know better, there is still a very tribal in-group focused part to our minds that causes people band together with those they associate with. For some this is people their own age, their family, friends, people who have the same hobbies, same political party etc. The 'us/them' Idea is difficult to remove.

Normally all we can do is shift the equation. Instead of back/white, we end with liberal/conservative, racist/not-racist, oppressed/privileged, etc. etc. People can define their groups in any way they wish, and most people strive to not have their race as any part of their 'group', but we all end up putting ourselves into tribes.

As a result, I don't honestly believe that the Uk will ever not have a slight bias towards its majority population.

Now for america:

Spoiler

Just because there are more white people doesn't mean they have privilege?! If a black and white person go up for a job the one that performs better in the interview and has more qualifications gets the job, it is nothing to do with ethnicity. Or pay scales are decided on ethnicity etc. Currently more of my coloured friends are getting the better uni places (by a fair margin as well)- this doesn't mean black privilege exists. I can't find any solid evidence of it existing in the uk? Can you give me some facts and sources?

Could you point me to a source for the Dylan cooper case because no I don't remember it and can't find anything online supporting what you've said so can you point me in the right direction?
Also if your account of the case is true the white person would be shot as well (as a last resort), the same way this Dylan guy probably was. Police here aren't as trigger happy as America as they get legally charged for doing their job and doing what they believe to be right (which should include shooting dangerous people even though this usually leads to a conviction)

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2513893/Florida-girl-threatened-expulsion-afro-hair.htmlhttp://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/07/bme-women-runnymede-trust-jobs_n_2256589.htmlI know as a white person, you might deny that white privilege does not exist, but trust me it does. Women of colour still suffer from discrimination whether it's their skin tone or hair texture. The fact that you can walk into an interview and not have to worry if the interviewer is not judging you on your hair texture or skin tone is privilege itself and it should not be that way.Your black/Asians/Mixed friends are getting into uni because they got the grades- that is IT. It has nothing to do with their skin tone but because they try harder- You don't need two heads to work this out.The fact that you don't know anything about the Dylan Roof sorry I made a surname error) case shows that you are ignorant and oblivious to your surroundings because It was on the news and social media everywhere for weeks and weeks and itself proves that white privilege does exist.
http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/church-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof-smiles-video/
Somewhere here says that he was wearing a bullet proof vest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3135477/Cops-treated-Dylann-Roof-free-Burger-King-meal-Charleston-church-shooter-complained-feeling-hungry-reveals-police-chief.html

They even bought him burger king! How generous are these police officers!
Reply 11
How funny to have just come across this after spending the evening talking with my American housemate about differing class/race issues in the states vs here!:smile:

I think the thing to remember is that alot of the racism towards white people is an angry way of hitting back for the way society has treated minorities for centuries, for example, black people using the term '*****' as endearment yet disapproving of white people using it, is because when white people first used it, it was an offensive term, they have claimed that insult and turned it into a term they can use between them, thus removing the power it once held.
As a British teenager, it's SO important to remember America's racial issues are a million miles away from Britain's, where it is in fact classism that causes the divide in society. Race is a huge problem over there, and so it's understandable that American videos will seem hyperbolic to use as we are viewing them out of context.
White privellege is, therefor, a very real concept over there, and whilst it does somewhat exist in Britain, it is not as apparent. Whilst it no longer encompasses the ability to gain a job or more money on the grounds that you are white, it means that your race will never be caled into consideration, nor will it ever strike you as a factor of your identity. It is completely natural for the minority to be identified by their differenciating factor, it is society that chooses to view this as maintaining negative stereotypes.
Like I say, it's just important to remember the context, and speaking from someone who held your viewpoint a few years ago (before learning more about American culture etc), it is hard to imagine the extent America is dealing with racial issues.
I advise you read up a little bit of the most recent cases, or even some classic lit like 'To Kill a Mockingbird', only if you're seriously interested though:P
My first thought is always, 'hey, if we enslaved, colonised and mistreated hundreds of generations of people PURELY based on the colour of their skin, maybe it's understandable why there is still anger'
Original post by countingdown
This is a good point, and I feel this pretty much never happens in the U.S.
- Schools/neighborhoods are segregated by race and income
- Richer schools, better teachers, better curriculum (the education system is not standardized)
- For historic reasons, whites are richer, therefore better educated, and have better teachers
- Ultimately, the whites are often the "better" candidate. Unfortunately they were given a completely different education, and this is where we get back to white privilege
- Asian immigrants (and other H1-B immigrants), notably, are the only minorities not to be dragged down by the segregated education system.

What you listed is exactly what most people think of when talking about racial inequality in the U.S. I think its because, throughout American history, minorities were always purposefully disadvantaged by the white majority that wanted to maintain the status quo after slavery was abolished. The crop-lien system and the so-called "separate but equal" segregation laws were examples of this system that kept minorities poor and uneducated.
As I've lived in the U.S for quite a bit of my life, I don't know much about racism in the UK, but white privilege as a product of American history certainly exists.
LOL AT PEOPLE WHO SAY WHITE PRIVILEGE DOESNT EXIST

Original post by Death Grips
LOL AT PEOPLE WHO SAY WHITE PRIVILEGE DOESNT EXIST

Do you have any evidence to suggest it does?
Trigger warning: have a look at the people who use the term 'white privilege' and you can see for yourself where it stems from (e.g. Gender Studies students).
get tyrone to check privilege. he is professional privilege checker. has Bsc in Gender Studies and Phd in Tumblrism
[video="youtube;miO8DPjSf78"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miO8DPjSf78[/video]
Far too many micro aggressions here. I'm going to my safe space to pet a Labrador.
Original post by Aceadria
Far too many micro aggressions here. I'm going to my safe space to pet a Labrador.

im srry m8. i should have put a trigger warning on my post. ill call the safe space ambulance dw
Original post by countingdown
White privilege definitely exists in the US - a white American is generally treated as a "person", while an "ethnic" is subject to the stereotypes associated with their race. It is almost like a caste system; a poor white person is still white, and therefore has the potential to be the next Bill Gates/Bill Clinton/Taylor Swift. Everyone else will only ever achieve their ethnically-assigned status.

Whatever white privilege exists in Britain is usually related to the fact that Britain is a majority white British nation, with the natives being white British. However, your destiny/personality is not determined by your "racial type", so I would say, the white privilege in Britain is less beneficial for the British whites, while for American whites, being white is like winning the "genetic lottery".

i bet you do gender studies. lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending