The Student Room Group

Independent A-Levels

I'm currently in year 12 and I'm studying 2 A-Levels which are Media Studies and Business Studies. I'm very likely to pick up another subject at the start of year 13. I'll be looking to complete the subject in one year (both AS and A2). I've been thinking about taking up an independent A-Level but I'm not sure about a few things. Firstly, where do I apply for this independent A-Level and will it cost me, if so how much? In addition to this, are independent A-Levels actually worth it? Thanks.
You can either student an A level completely independently, studying at home with no help; or you can study with a distance learning provider like the National Extension College. The latter will cost a lot more and probably isn't worth it. You need to ask your school if you can do your exam with them; the exam fee is about £50-£100. Independent A levels are no different to the A levels you do in school, so if you need 3 A levels then yes it is worth it.
Original post by ozi
I'm currently in year 12 and I'm studying 2 A-Levels which are Media Studies and Business Studies. I'm very likely to pick up another subject at the start of year 13. I'll be looking to complete the subject in one year (both AS and A2). I've been thinking about taking up an independent A-Level but I'm not sure about a few things. Firstly, where do I apply for this independent A-Level and will it cost me, if so how much? In addition to this, are independent A-Levels actually worth it? Thanks.

The cheapest way to do it is to ask your school or find a local school that accepts independent students & buy books online and revise at home. The exam fee will cost you 25-40. Make sure you only look for schools, because colleges and centres are expensive for no reason
Original post by cherryred90s
The exam fee will cost you 25-40.

For AS and A2? It will cost more than that. £50-£100 is more realistic.
Original post by Snufkin
For AS and A2? It will cost more than that. £50-£100 is more realistic.

An entire A level will cost around £50-60
Original post by cherryred90s
An entire A level will cost around £50-60

I paid more than that.
Original post by Snufkin
I paid more than that.

I didn't.
Original post by ozi

Hi, as Snufkin has said you have two options - study on your own or use a more structured form of study with ourselves. You can find details of what we offer on our website www.nec.ac.uk. If you do choose to study on your own you need to check the subject doesn't have coursework as this can be very difficult to get authenticated if your not studying with a school or college.

James
Original post by Snufkin
You can either student an A level completely independently, studying at home with no help; or you can study with a distance learning provider like the National Extension College. The latter will cost a lot more and probably isn't worth it. You need to ask your school if you can do your exam with them; the exam fee is about £50-£100. Independent A levels are no different to the A levels you do in school, so if you need 3 A levels then yes it is worth it.

What are the requirements for studying A levels independently? For example could I simply text my head of sixth form & say hey I’ll pay to independently be entered for so & so A levels. Will they just be like yeah or are there requirements?
Original post by Anonymous2341
What are the requirements for studying A levels independently? For example could I simply text my head of sixth form & say hey I’ll pay to independently be entered for so & so A levels. Will they just be like yeah or are there requirements?

As long as you pay for it, there are no requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest