The Student Room Group

Risk of getting expelled for insulting remarks on social media?

Help! I've just gotten a notice from my university because I've posted something indecent on my social media account. They say that insulting religion is against university policy. I've deleted my social media account and it has disappeared from google search, but who knows that somebody out there has a screenshot of my comment.

Meanwhile, I'm currently on my 3rd yr of a PG course, and actually I've for long considering dropping from the last year, as I currently have other commitments to do and writing thesis seem too much a burden for me. Let's say that I eventually got expelled, can I still have the PGDip title with me? Second, will it be better for me to simply withdraw from the course myself, or wait it for them to do it for me? Third, what if I simply make up excuse like somebody else may be hacking my account?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

What did you post? From a uni computer or your own? Uni wifi? What does the notice actually say?
Unfortunately there can be consequences for posting stupid **** online. Someone will have complained about it, so it was obviously pretty bad and I can't be overly sympathetic.

I would have thought that you would get the PGdip title, but might depend on your unis expulsion policy. How bad was the comment, I don't imagine they'd kick you out for a minor slip up.
Actions have consequences. Hateful comments about religion or race or sexual orientation is and should never be acceptable
Deleting it wont do you any good as they have obviously seen it hence the notice.
What does the notice say? They intend to take the matter further?
You wiill need to look at uni policies and procedures, which are individual to the institution.

I would contact your student rep. It must have been pretty bad if you call it indecent and the uni have taken notice. Its also made you identifiable, which is pretty poor. Comments which promote racial and religious hatred deserve to eb dealt with appropriately.
If you make things up i,e lie, then thats a different ball game. What evidence would you probide to show you were hacked?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I made a comment about the recent killing of a 4 year old girl by an uzbek housemaid in moscow. I said why she's taking refuge by declaring to be mentally unfit and made some derogatory remark about her religion (because she said that she was told so by allah).

The notice said that they will contact me within few weeks to undertake the preliminary investigation. There isnt any mention in the univ policy regarding withholding the title or such, and the possibility ranges from fine, suspension, to expulsion.
Original post by Medistud2016
I made a comment about the recent killing of a 4 year old girl by an uzbek housemaid in moscow. I said why she's taking refuge by declaring to be mentally unfit and made some derogatory remark about her religion (because she said that she was told so by allah).

The notice said that they will contact me within few weeks to undertake the preliminary investigation. There isnt any mention in the univ policy regarding withholding the title or such, and the possibility ranges from fine, suspension, to expulsion.

Was oy on a uni computer, uni account? How come they were able to identify you?

Its only an investigation, but we dont know how derogatory what you said was. If it was pretty nasty, then they wont tolerate it.

I imagine its within their discretion about whether they wnat to withhold the qualification from you. If you are expelled before you complete, then i cnat see how they can award you anything? Contact the postgraduate rep.
universities are policing what people post on social media? wow we are really turning into a nanny state.
Original post by queen-bee
Actions have consequences. Hateful comments about religion or race or sexual orientation is and should never be acceptable

Race and sexual orientation shouldn't be, but insulting a religion is no different than insulting a political ideology or a lifestyle choice. Religion is an abstract concept and criticism and mockery should not only be allowed, but welcomed.

@OP, Just apologise and you might get off without a warning. Don't think they'll expel you for one ill-thought out message. You might not think it's fair, and you might well argue that uni is a place for open dialogue and not sheltered protection of sensibilities, but there's no use fighting the system. In future I'd keep your personal ideas off social media. Anything and everything is liable to offend someone.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Was oy on a uni computer, uni account? How come they were able to identify you?

Its only an investigation, but we dont know how derogatory what you said was. If it was pretty nasty, then they wont tolerate it.

I imagine its within their discretion about whether they wnat to withhold the qualification from you. If you are expelled before you complete, then i cnat see how they can award you anything? Contact the postgraduate rep.

No, its on my notebook. However, i put my university name on my social media profile information.
In the course description, its written that any student completing the course with 120 point can gain PGDip. And if 180 then MSc. Ive got already 120 ects, so if I leave the course on my own, i'll get a PGDip.
Reply 10
Hopefully you do get kicked out for being a complete and utter moron.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queen-bee

Religion is just an idea. It can be criticized like any other. Saying ''Christianity is dogmatic'' is not hateful and it should NOT have consequences; it is not very different to saying ''Fascism is dogmatic'' - there's a difference between saying ''Christianity is evil'' and ''Christians are evil''.

Get real.
Go and see your student rep. You might just get a warning. Is this the only controversial stuff you have posted on your social media account or will an investigation reveal further stuff? Seems a bit over the top to leave before an investigation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by theperformer
Religion is just an idea. It can be criticized like any other. Saying ''Christianity is dogmatic'' is not hateful and it should NOT have consequences; it is not very different to saying ''Fascism is dogmatic'' - there's a difference between saying ''Christianity is evil'' and ''Christians are evil''.

Get real.

A) he clearly didn't just say that to be up for disciplinary action, must've been a lot worse than that.
B) what's wrong with just saying "I don't believe in Christianity, I believe that Christianity is backwards", rather than "Christianity is backwards"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tengentoppa
Race and sexual orientation shouldn't be, but insulting a religion is no different than insulting a political ideology or a lifestyle choice. Religion is an abstract concept and criticism and mockery should not only be allowed, but welcomed.

Original post by theperformer

Get real.

Religious fundies and the professional offendees will never see it this way
Seems like you guys cna ive the OP some good advice about how to fight the claims against him. Be interesting to see what the OP really said.
Original post by Bodeans
A) he clearly didn't just say that to be up for disciplinary action, must've been a lot worse than that.
B) what's wrong with just saying "I don't believe in Christianity, I believe that Christianity is backwards", rather than "Christianity is backwards"

Posted from TSR Mobile

If someone says "Christianity is backwards", that's obviously their opinion on it, I don't think saying "I believe" makes much/any difference.
Reply 17
Apologise and state that you felt so passionately about the horror of the case that you got carried away in posting about it. You recognise your wrong doing, you didn't mean half of what you wrote as it was in anger, and it won't happen again.

If you get away with a strong warning, remember what you are there to do, get your head down and study hard you div!

It is pointless to reach the third year and then jump ship - unless you are leaving for a lucrative employment opportunity. Count this as a lesson learnt for future employment too. Welcome to adulthood.
Help! I've just gotten a notice from my university because I've posted something indecent on my social media account. They say that insulting religion is against university policy. I've deleted my social media account and it has disappeared from google search, but who knows that somebody out there has a screenshot of my comment.

Meanwhile, I'm currently on my 3rd yr of a PG course, and actually I've for long considering dropping from the last year, as I currently have other commitments to do and writing thesis seem too much a burden for me. Let's say that I eventually got expelled, can I still have the PGDip title with me? Second, will it be better for me to simply withdraw from the course myself, or wait it for them to do it for me? Third, what if I simply make up excuse like somebody else may be hacking my account?

Thanks!

Ive heard of someone who said something about black people and got expelled. You've messed up

This is happening too frequently so it has to be clamped upon. Last week there has been discussions to make it a criminal offence (jail) for insults/abuse/threats online.

The world has changed so the law needs updating, so many cretins have trolled and made lives of people a misery to the extent they've committed suicide. Online bullying etc will not be TOLERATED OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest