The Student Room Group

To anyone taking A level P.E...

Im taking A level P.E next year with English Lit and Biology. What's it like? What's the difference from GCSE? Is there a harder practical side to it?
Reply 1
Hey, i'm studying A-Level PE (AQA), Biology&Psychology. There is a lot more theory, only practical is for your chosen sports. The theory is a lot more in depth, however, by you choosing Biology(for the biology side) and English (for the history side etc) you shouldn't find this a struggle.For practical in AS you are recorded doing your sport and do other various coursework alongside it and get marked, but in A2 you have to be playing competitively on an outside team. If you want to know any more feel free to ask, but this is purely based on my experience with AQA,i advise you ask the college you're looking into about the course and what specification they use for more detail:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by allyb_
Hey, i'm studying A-Level PE (AQA), Biology&Psychology. There is a lot more theory, only practical is for your chosen sports. The theory is a lot more in depth, however, by you choosing Biology(for the biology side) and English (for the history side etc) you shouldn't find this a struggle.For practical in AS you are recorded doing your sport and do other various coursework alongside it and get marked, but in A2 you have to be playing competitively on an outside team. If you want to know any more feel free to ask, but this is purely based on my experience with AQA,i advise you ask the college you're looking into about the course and what specification they use for more detail:smile:

Thankyou, helped a lot. What are you planning on doing at uni?
Reply 3
Hey, I didn't take PE at GCSE however I am doing it currently at AS level (AQA). Physiology was pretty good, I enjoyed learning about the muscles, bones, cardiac and respiratory systems. Unfortunately after that unit finished the subject has become a slog. Psychology contains little of interest (it may if you take Psychology A level idk), a lot of the time I'm wondering why I am learning things and their relevance in PE, but that may be because I am more interested in the movement of sports. To me the psychology part is a waste of time and I don't really remember any of it whatsoever. I have just started social cultural section and once again the future is looking bleak for PE, a lot of this section appears to be common sense and dull.
I enjoy my other subjects (Physics, biology) yet PE I cannot summon the motivation to continue or revise for. Also the exams (may just be AQA) are sometimes excessively harsh in the markschemes and many times I have fallen down for things I thought were correct answers in class. The AQA grade boundaries are also particularly brutal with a few marks separating top grades and lower ones. I believe this was an attempt to beef up the subject and make it more academic and harder to pass though.
In summary:

Phsyiology-Good
Social Cultural and Psychology-Terrible, ruin the subject

My advice is to view the specification for your potential exam board to see if the subject is for you. There will be very little practical at AS level.

Good luck XD

Regards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Froofpin
Hey, I didn't take PE at GCSE however I am doing it currently at AS level (AQA). Physiology was pretty good, I enjoyed learning about the muscles, bones, cardiac and respiratory systems. Unfortunately after that unit finished the subject has become a slog. Psychology contains little of interest (it may if you take Psychology A level idk), a lot of the time I'm wondering why I am learning things and their relevance in PE, but that may be because I am more interested in the movement of sports. To me the psychology part is a waste of time and I don't really remember any of it whatsoever. I have just started social cultural section and once again the future is looking bleak for PE, a lot of this section appears to be common sense and dull.
I enjoy my other subjects (Physics, biology) yet PE I cannot summon the motivation to continue or revise for. Also the exams (may just be AQA) are sometimes excessively harsh in the markschemes and many times I have fallen down for things I thought were correct answers in class. The AQA grade boundaries are also particularly brutal with a few marks separating top grades and lower ones. I believe this was an attempt to beef up the subject and make it more academic and harder to pass though.
In summary:

Phsyiology-Good
Social Cultural and Psychology-Terrible, ruin the subject

My advice is to view the specification for your potential exam board to see if the subject is for you. There will be very little practical at AS level.

Good luck XD

Regards.

Thanks for the reply, at GCSE I enjoy the theory element of it, but i am quite apprehensive over whether i should take it or not, as I don't think physiology/sport is the path i want to go in.
Original post by jayg123
Im taking A level P.E next year with English Lit and Biology. What's it like? What's the difference from GCSE? Is there a harder practical side to it?

No it is not hard. Our school had given us a "taster" of what it is like and in all honesty its nothing more than running and jumping as well a touch of biology into it for the "theory".

It's not difficult so go for it if you enjoy it! Since you're doing Biology it would link in :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jayg123
Thankyou, helped a lot. What are you planning on doing at uni?

Something along the lines of physiotherapy, sports rehab, or maybe sport psychology etc.

Quick Reply

Latest