The Student Room Group

Am I wrong in feeling a little sorry for Adam Johnson?

Scroll to see replies

Why it wrong to have consensual sex with 15 year old?

He was chaeting on his partner though and I cant stand cheats so **** him. No sympathy.
I feel sorry for the fact he is looking at a 5-10 year sentence when teaching assistants can be found guilty of sleeping with a student and they get a 2 year suspended sentence.
He does deserved to be punished though
Ehh, I see where your'e coming from, but at the end of the day she is underage. Not only that, he knew her age and carried on grooming her despite the fact that she was 15 and he was in a committed relationship with his pregnant wife. She should have stopped the whole thing immedietly but he was her idol and used his fame for his advantage. So no, I can't say I feel much sympathy for him.
Original post by xylas
So you think the law should be changed to be more similar to how it was nearly a century ago?

I don't know what the law was a century ago so I can't comment on that. But yes, I don't think cheating in a marital (or equivalent) relationship should ever have been made legal.

Also you don't know him and he isn't a free man. He is on the sex offender's register for life and can never play football again.

I know he's not a free man, is on the sex offender's register for life and can't play football again. I'm saying that's a good thing, and I don't feel sorry for him. Although most people who cheat don't get these sorts of punishments, that is what such people deserve. So it's good that at least in this case, he got it.
Original post by tazarooni89
Of course in my view, he'd ideally be getting punished for his infidelity (along with everyone else who is unfaithful) rather than because of the girl's age.

Do you think people who cheat deserve to be killed?
Original post by joecphillips
I feel sorry for the fact he is looking at a 5-10 year sentence when teaching assistants can be found guilty of sleeping with a student and they get a 2 year suspended sentence.
He does deserved to be punished though

The 5-10 thing is more than likely not even true considering what they give full on rapists,you know how soft british courts are
The sad part about all this is that the most traumatic thing for the girl won't be the contact she had with Adam Johnson but the trial and media attention surrounding it.

I don't feel sorry for Adam, he knew he was breaking the law and this is one law that you should go out of your way to not break regardless of your opinion on whether it's a good law. The way I see it, the worst thing he did was cheat on his pregnant girlfriend, but lucky for him that is completely legal. I do however have concerns for his safety should he do time in prison.
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Agreed on the point that she might've known what was happening (although grooming is essentially manipulated, and I had no idea I was being manipulated until after the fact so it's possible she might not've), but whether she knew or not is irrelevant. He's the adult, he's the one sleeping with an underage girl, he's the one who had the more power/influence in that situation. So the self-righteousness, as you put it, is totally deserved imo. Whether she was aware or not is irrelevant on the charge of sexual activity with a child; her knowing does not diminish his responsibility.

Completely missed the point of my post and sort of proved it correct at the same time, so cheers.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I mean, if she was less than one year older this wouldn't even be a legal issue?
The difference between when the incident happened, and a few months down the line draws the difference between a child too young for sex, and a woman, who to have sex with would be completely legal?

I know there needs to be a legal definition, a line to draw. But it just makes me feel uncomfortable somehow.

Yes. He's a 28year-old multi-millionaire with a luxurious lifestyle who can pretty much have anyone he likes, yet he chooses to groom a fifteen year old who he met over the internet, who he knew was underage.

It's one thing if it's a one night stand with a girl who you met in a club and later find out is 15, but it's another to meet and pursue sexual activity with a girl who you know is underage.
Original post by ivybridge
I agree with @Ladymusiclover but just to add also:

Adam Johnson is 28 years of age and he was soliciting sexual activity from someone who was 15. Even if she was 16, would you honestly still not find that odd? She hasn't even finished growing and developing, mentally or physically.

Why on God's earth was he remotely interested in some young girl when as a footballer, people would be flocking to him and he had a girlfriend who had just given birth to his daughter? Because she was impressionable and he could exploit her easily and he did.

I think she herself as a young adult must take some responsibility as she was consenting and provocative but he should have known better. Much better.

So, no, I wouldn't feel sorry for him at all and I don't know why you do.

I agree. It's one thing if it's a 17 year old and 15 year old, but he was a 28 year old man.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Presumption of guilt is not how we operate a legal system nestled within a modern Democracy amigo. 'Innocent until proven guilty'

Sexual activity with a minor, is the charge to which I was referring

'innocent until proven guilty' is a wonderful romantic way of viewing our justice system. But to anyone who's worked in it, it simply is not the case. Quite often even judges go in with a mentality of 'probably guilty' until proven innocent.

I know we often nostalgically and proudly talk of our justice system, but like every other the reality does not match the theory.
Original post by Bornblue
I agree. It's one thing if it's a 17 year old and 15 year old, but he was a 28 year old man.

Yeah. A 17 year old and 15 year old is a bit weird but understandable. If the guy was 18 and girl was 16 nobody would bat an eyelid so it's a bit unfair in that situation to put a guy in jail but Adam Johnson is nearly double her age.

It's also funny that Adam Johnson having sex with a 16 year old would not get him jail time but a 18 year old with a 15 year old could possibly land a person in jail time? I think it's clear which one is more messed up in a social level.

Like this would have all been avoided if he waited until she was 16 ffs. Not to defend the actions but he's just stupid as hell.
Original post by jam277
Yeah. A 17 year old and 15 year old is a bit weird but understandable. If the guy was 18 and girl was 16 nobody would bat an eyelid so it's a bit unfair in that situation to put a guy in jail but Adam Johnson is nearly double her age.

It's also funny that Adam Johnson having sex with a 16 year old would not get him jail time but a 18 year old with a 15 year old could possibly land a person in jail time? I think it's clear which one is more messed up in a social level.

Like this would have all been avoided if he waited until she was 16 ffs. Not to defend the actions but he's just stupid as hell.

Quite often, if it is between a 16 year old and a 15 year old and the sex was consensual, especially if they were in a relationship - the CPS will most likely choose not to prosecute because it wouldn't be in the public interest to do so even though it would be technically statutory rape.

The law in that respect allows a bit of leeway and common sense to creep in.

However it's a whole different situation with a 28 year old and a 15 year old. He was a multi-millionaire living a life most could only ever dream of. He could have almost any woman he wants and he chooses to pursue a 15 year old in the knowledge that she was underage.
Quite often, if it is between a 16 year old and a 15 year old and the sex was consensual, especially if they were in a relationship - the CPS will most likely choose not to prosecute because it wouldn't be in the public interest to do so even though it would be technically statutory rape.

The law in that respect allows a bit of leeway and common sense to creep in.

However it's a whole different situation with a 28 year old and a 15 year old. He was a multi-millionaire living a life most could only ever dream of. He could have almost any woman he wants and he chooses to pursue a 15 year old in the knowledge that she was underage.

Sex between a fifteen year old and 16 year old cannot be consensual, the fifteen year old lacks the capacity to consent.

In response to the OP I have absolutely no sympathy for him, he actively pursued a girl he knew to be 15. I'd feel sorry for him if it'd been like the original story I heard where he'd supposedly met her in a nightclub and had no idea she was underage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Sex between a fifteen year old and 16 year old cannot be consensual, the fifteen year old lacks the capacity to consent.

In response to the OP I have absolutely no sympathy for him, he actively pursued a girl he knew to be 15. I'd feel sorry for him if it'd been like the original story I heard where he'd supposedly met her in a nightclub and had no idea she was underage

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you can, not legally but it doesn't mean it wasn't actually consensual. Use a bit of common sense. If two people freely agree to have sex, that sex is consensual in the ordinary sense of the word, it may not be legally but in reality it is. 'consent' is not merely a legal term. It has a non legal definition, as does rape.

So it backs my point. If a 16 and 15 year old have voluntary, agreed sex then the cps in all likelihood would not prosecute as it would not be in the public interest to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Age of consent is 14 in Germany and Italy, 18 in Turkey, France goes middle way 15. For the record I just researched this, I didn't find myself in Germany one day questioning if the girl I wanted to bang was legal or not.
Yes you can, not legally but it doesn't mean it wasn't actually consensual. Use a bit of common sense. If two people freely agree to have sex, that sex is consensual in the ordinary sense of the word, it may not be legally but in reality it is. 'consent' is not merely a legal term. It has a non legal definition, as does rape.

So it backs my point. If a 16 and 15 year old have voluntary, agreed sex then the cps in all likelihood would not prosecute as it would not be in the public interest to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not disputing that they rarely prosecute under those circumstances, merely pointing out consent isn't possible.

Well someone who has a gun to their head is consenting by the dictionary definition, when you're talking about the law dictionary definitions are irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
No sympathy from me whatsoever.

Yes the girl was loving it. Yes the girl got what she wanted. Yes the girl probably looks and acts every bit of the woman

However..

She was 15 and AJ knew she was 15. Its as simple as that

If she had lied to him or mislead him... I would have much sympathy. She didnt
Original post by Underscore__
I'm not disputing that they rarely prosecute under those circumstances, merely pointing out consent isn't possible.

Well someone who has a gun to their head is consenting by the dictionary definition, when you're talking about the law dictionary definitions are irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Consent is not just a legal term. It means two people voluntarily agreeing to do something. Yes the legal definition may be slightly different but that doesn't mean they can't consent in reality.

Forget the legal term and give the term it's ordinary definition.
Consent is not just a legal term. It means two people voluntarily agreeing to do something. Yes the legal definition may be slightly different but that doesn't mean they can't consent in reality.

Forget the legal term and give the term it's ordinary definition.

The actual definition of consent is: 'permission for something to happen or agreement to do something' so by this definition someone who is coerced is consenting; that's the problem with attempting to apply a dictionary definition to a word with legal ramifications

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending