The Student Room Group

i feel like im going to fail chemistry AS please help

Hello guys i am currently studying chemistry AS i have completed the whole syllabus in school and i do not know what to do now and how to set out revision for chemistry so that in the easter holidays i am doing regular past papers. Can someone please tell me how i can go over the whole thing again and be ready to do past papers by easter holidays and how much i should be revising on a daily basis for example can i do 3 modules worth of work again in the space of 3 weeks till easter so that i am perfect on the topics and can someone tell me the best way to revise.
Thank you so much if you bother to reply
Original post by help1208
Hello guys i am currently studying chemistry AS i have completed the whole syllabus in school and i do not know what to do now and how to set out revision for chemistry so that in the easter holidays i am doing regular past papers. Can someone please tell me how i can go over the whole thing again and be ready to do past papers by easter holidays and how much i should be revising on a daily basis for example can i do 3 modules worth of work again in the space of 3 weeks till easter so that i am perfect on the topics and can someone tell me the best way to revise.
Thank you so much if you bother to reply

I would suggest printing out the specs and use it as a checklist to keep track of everything. There's some maths formulas, general formulas and etc.cthat isn't going to come up on the formula sheet and some phrases that, apparently, always gets marks so I would suggest copying those down and make flashcards. Have you annotated your periodic table yet? Cause that's a pretty good way to see all the trends in the periodic table.

What exam board are you in?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞
Reply 2
im on ocr mate and how many hours a day would you recommend and do i have enough time to write out flash cards
Original post by Firenze26
I would suggest printing out the specs and use it as a checklist to keep track of everything. There's some maths formulas, general formulas and etc.cthat isn't going to come up on the formula sheet and some phrases that, apparently, always gets marks so I would suggest copying those down and make flashcards. Have you annotated your periodic table yet? Cause that's a pretty good way to see all the trends in the periodic table.

What exam board are you in?

P.S.

im on ocr mate and how many hours a day would you recommend and do i have enough time to write out flash cards

Really, I'm taking OCR as well, are you doing A or B?

I would say at least an 1hr30 a day during the weekdays and 2hr30 during the weekends, I don't think an hour a day would suffice unless you're like really good at revising and focusing cause it takes some people 30 mins to concentrate on the work.

Don't make the flashcards in one sitting, just find blank cards, put it beside you and write on it when you encounter a formula. If you do it like that, you will have enough time. I would also suggest a glossary because there are some words that are interchangeable or very specific that they give you marks for.

P.S.

Reply 4
Really, I'm taking OCR as well, are you doing A or B?

I would say at least an 1hr30 a day during the weekdays and 2hr30 during the weekends, I don't think an hour a day would suffice unless you're like really good at revising and focusing cause it takes some people 30 mins to concentrate on the work.

Don't make the flashcards in one sitting, just find blank cards, put it beside you and write on it when you encounter a formula. If you do it like that, you will have enough time. I would also suggest a glossary because there are some words that are interchangeable or very specific that they give you marks for.

P.S.

im ocr A and 1 hour and 30 mins of going over topics and answering questions? or making flash cards, keeping in mind i have maths and business studies to revise aswell how would i set it out daily
im ocr A and 1 hour and 30 mins of going over topics and answering questions? or making flash cards, keeping in mind i have maths and business studies to revise aswell how would i set it out daily

Yup, 50 mins revising and 40 mins answering questions. Making flash cards is part of revising that topic, as you read through your notes, write down the formulas or key words on a flash card as you go.

The thing is, sometimes, you don't have to revise every subject every day. Allocate days for them so mondays for chem and maths. Tuesdays is chem and business. Wednesdays is for maths and business or something like that. On a day, after school's over, people have, on average, around 5 hours free (3.30pm-9pm). If you take away clubs, social, dinner, you can have roughly 3 hours free. This doesn't even include the morning (cause some people do that) or free periods but let's just say you allocate that to do your homework. Overall, you can revise at least two subjects in a weekday and extend that during the holidays and weekends to 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening or more.

Put, maybe, a bit less time on subjects you're good at but still revise a lot for it so instead of having a 50:50 proportion do something like 40:60 or something along those lines.

How much time can you realistically put aside for revision?

P.S.

Reply 6
oh my gosh thank you very much i think ill follow your tips pal sorry im not used to getting help and your seriously helping. I get home around 5 so ill prob start revising around 5;30 for 2 hours a 30 mins per day and 2 subjects per day the 50 mins revising and 40 mins question idea is very smart btw any more tips?

Yup, 50 mins revising and 40 mins answering questions. Making flash cards is part of revising that topic, as you read through your notes, write down the formulas or key words on a flash card as you go.

The thing is, sometimes, you don't have to revise every subject every day. Allocate days for them so mondays for chem and maths. Tuesdays is chem and business. Wednesdays is for maths and business or something like that. On a day, after school's over, people have, on average, around 5 hours free (3.30pm-9pm). If you take away clubs, social, dinner, you can have roughly 3 hours free. This doesn't even include the morning (cause some people do that) or free periods but let's just say you allocate that to do your homework. Overall, you can revise at least two subjects in a weekday and extend that during the holidays and weekends to 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening or more.

Put, maybe, a bit less time on subjects you're good at but still revise a lot for it so instead of having a 50:50 proportion do something like 40:60 or something along those lines.

How much time can you realistically put aside for revision?

P.S.

oh my gosh thank you very much i think ill follow your tips pal sorry im not used to getting help and your seriously helping. I get home around 5 so ill prob start revising around 5;30 for 2 hours a 30 mins per day and 2 subjects per day the 50 mins revising and 40 mins question idea is very smart btw any more tips?

You're welcome, I really hope it helps.

I've heard that study groups work for some people cause it helps you understand some topic in a more in-depth way. During your free periods or something, maybe revise with some other people and ask for help to understand ideas or help by explaining ideas to them. Either way, you're knowledge is consolidated or examined which helps you find out what topics or part of a topic you're weak in cause you might be good at writing formulas in general but you might be bad at writing ionic formulas.

I'd advice you to keep the sample paper 1 and 2 for the new spec. until you've learned everything cause it's a linear paper not a modular and you only have one paper so you need to make it count. If you need any help about specific topics, just post it here, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Good luck :smile:

P.S.

Reply 8
You're welcome, I really hope it helps.
I've heard that study groups work for some people cause it helps you understand some topic in a more in-depth way. During your free periods or something, maybe revise with some other people and ask for help to understand ideas or help by explaining ideas to them. Either way, you're knowledge is consolidated or examined which helps you find out what topics or part of a topic you're weak in cause you might be good at writing formulas in general but you might be bad at writing ionic formulas.

I'd advice you to keep the sample paper 1 and 2 for the new spec. until you've learned everything cause it's a linear paper not a modular and you only have one paper so you need to make it count. If you need any help about specific topics, just post it here, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Good luck :smile:

P.S.

yeah i was planning on doing the sample papers after im 100 percent with the content and yeah ill try out the tips you told me also good luck with exams

Quick Reply

Latest