The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5240
Original post by Mackay
It'll be interesting to see the line-up tomorrow, given Thursday's importance. I personally wouldn't change the back five. I'd have Flanagan on the right, and Clyne on the opposite flank.

I don't think we'll rotate too much. It's possible we'll see Skrtel come in for Toure, Allen and Ibe could get starts and Sturridge might return, but nothing more than that. We do have a week off between the two legs so nothing too drastic is needed and the league is still something we need to be concentrating on, we can still salvage something from this season.
I'd play our best team too. We need some momentum with winning.

Man Utd will play a strong side against West Ham in the FA cup since they could use some silverware whereas our players will get a full week rest in between.
Reply 5242
Only just realised today that Tottenham have (finally) started work on their new stadium. It's interesting that they went down the route of a completely new build compared to us who chose to expand. Ultimately I think we made the right choice. Expanding is cheaper and also means we aren't prevented from expanding further in the future, whereas with modern bowl stadiums it is pretty much impossible to expand. For us, we obviously have the Anfield Road Stand being done next if we are still filling the stadium for every match after the current expansion. Further down the road, I expect the other two stands will eventually be expanded in a similar style as well once transport links have been improved so one day we can dream of a 70k stadium that is pretty unique in being modern but not a bowl. That's probably where our limit lies.
Original post by cBay
Only just realised today that Tottenham have (finally) started work on their new stadium. It's interesting that they went down the route of a completely new build compared to us who chose to expand. Ultimately I think we made the right choice. Expanding is cheaper and also means we aren't prevented from expanding further in the future, whereas with modern bowl stadiums it is pretty much impossible to expand. For us, we obviously have the Anfield Road Stand being done next if we are still filling the stadium for every match after the current expansion. Further down the road, I expect the other two stands will eventually be expanded in a similar style as well once transport links have been improved so one day we can dream of a 70k stadium that is pretty unique in being modern but not a bowl. That's probably where our limit lies.

I don't know the full details but I presume they're unable to expand WHL? Chelsea will effectively rebuild on SB land won't they?

Our trouble in the past was that we weren't able to expand but since a lot of houses have been bought up, it should be easier in the future too? Hoping the council will eventually step in and help with the transport link restriction/cost..
Reply 5244
Original post by Zerforax
I don't know the full details but I presume they're unable to expand WHL? Chelsea will effectively rebuild on SB land won't they?

Our trouble in the past was that we weren't able to expand but since a lot of houses have been bought up, it should be easier in the future too? Hoping the council will eventually step in and help with the transport link restriction/cost..

They're rebuilding WHL on the same piece of land. Going from just the picture below, I would presume they could expand two sides of the stadium (I believe they've done the same thing of buying up all the houses around and bulldozing them), but they would have to be massive in comparison to the other stands to get up to the 60k they're aiming for, a bit like St James' Park.

It's been positioned so that technically when it's half built, they can demolish the existing end stand, lay the pitch and start playing there whilst construction continues, but they're trying to find a temporary location to play at so they can speed up construction.

With respect to further Anfield expansion, just taking a look at google street view, it appears the houses behind the Kop are all boarded up so that could be expanded fairly easily, although it would require rerouteing the main road which is a bit troublesome. The houses behind the Centenary Stand are all occupied though so I can't see that happening for a long while yet. The design of the roof supports means the corners can't be filled in any more than they already are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Gonna miss the game today but this is big.
Palace are in awful form and we've been looking good lately. I know they're our bogey team but we can't afford to mess up here.

Winning our games in hand leap frogs a few teams and puts us within touching distance of United. With West Ham doing so well, we can't afford to drop back if we want Europe next season.
Reply 5246
Never thought I'd say this, but I want to see Allen starting today. Went through some nice form recently but now has been back on the bench. Think his tidiness in possession will keep things ticking over nicely. 4-2-3-1 please Klopp. Origi up top.
Jeez Mignolet is 28 today. Not old for a GK but too old to improve dramatically into a decent GK?

CP in terrible form lately. You know that means they will finally turn the corner against us today :mad:
Mignolet, Flanagan, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Origi.

Subs: Ward, Toure, Clyne, Allen, Coutinho, Sturridge, Benteke.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Mignolet, Flanagan, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Origi.

Subs: Ward, Toure, Clyne, Allen, Coutinho, Sturridge, Benteke.

Did not expect Clyne to be rested with Moreno still in the XI. Wonder if Sturridge is still feeling leggy or just rewarding Origi after his last game?

Bench looks ridiculously strong even if the first XI isn't as much. An eye on Thursday perhaps?
Reply 5250
Original post by Zerforax
Did not expect Clyne to be rested with Moreno still in the XI. Wonder if Sturridge is still feeling leggy or just rewarding Origi after his last game?

Bench looks ridiculously strong even if the first XI isn't as much. An eye on Thursday perhaps?

Sakho returning and Moreno coming in the only changes... Clyne has played more games than any other player so he's just needs a rest really. I imagine we're just being cautious with Sturridge and Coutinho on their roads back from injury.
1-0 Ledley

From what I hear, we've been absolutely dreadful.
We just can't beat this team...

If we don't get European football, I don't think anybody can complain. The inconsistency is ridiculous.
1-1 Firmino.

Only relying on BBC Sport reports but sounds like the keeper basically passed to Firmino for a tap in.
Completely undeserved from what I hear but being down to 10 men, a point would be a good result now.
penalty come on !!!!
Bentke to tkae scores!!!!
Soft penalty but I'm not complaining.

Why do we find it so hard to get a result against Palace?
Henderson poor today. No creativity at all going forwards, scared of playing even simple passes into feet around the edge of the area.

Benteke looked good. Made runs in behind, controlled the ball well. Still a problem with his finishing, a confident striker is scoring one of his two chances.

****ing ecstatic btw
Thought it was a penalty personally. Delaney's knee clips Benteke's ankle. Not a lot of contact, but enough to make him go down.
Was never a penalty, minimal contact if it is the case.

Not really happy of what Klopp has shown so far. Diving to win a penalty to win v Palace. Think Klopp's overrated. Will be sacked within 2-3 years after he gets found out.
Isambard?

Latest