The Student Room Group

I don't actually know what it is that I need to learn for this exam

Confusing syllabus, contradicting teachers and general disillusionment with Edexcel.

We don't get any useful handouts with the information on that we actually need to learn like in History.

The textbook is out of date. We can't use any of the examples as they aren't 'current' enough. What are we supposed to do especially when this is regarded as a soft subject?

How does one structure a 25 mark question?
Where do I get current examples from?
Model answers?
None of my teachers actually know what's going on because they've never taught this AS before and our whole class is going to get Ds, Es and Us
Reply 1
Original post by AstarAstarA
Confusing syllabus, contradicting teachers and general disillusionment with Edexcel.

We don't get any useful handouts with the information on that we actually need to learn like in History.

The textbook is out of date. We can't use any of the examples as they aren't 'current' enough. What are we supposed to do especially when this is regarded as a soft subject?

Model answers?
None of my teachers actually know what's going on because they've never taught this AS before and our whole class is going to get Ds, Es and Us

Do you have a 25 mark question? I can help
Reply 2
Original post by AstarAstarA

Model answers?

I'm not sure if this is the same as this is for CCEA,not Edexcel but we have 24 markers for one unit and 26 markers for the other unit. We structure them both in the same way. You are usually given a statement and are asked to discuss the validity of it or say to what extent is this true, in reference to the Commons etc. So you have to argue for the statement and against the statement as it is a 24/25/26 marker and these questions must be balanced. You can choose whether you want to write out all of your arguments agreeing with the statement first or if you want to structure it like positive point, negative point, positive point etc. It's easier to do the first way, however the latter is better overall, because if you are in an exam and you don't get it finished, you have already evaluated your answer consistently throughout. Introductions and conclusions are helpful but I don't think they're essential.

If your teacher isn't helpful, its really up to you to get contemporary examples yourself. This can be difficult if your teacher isn't willing to help you but just keep up to date with the news and you can sometimes find obvious examples, for example, if you are arguing that the Commons can hold the government to account, find an example where the government was defeated on legislation.
Reply 3
Current examples is easy, just a quick google or watch the news.

Would recommend getting these revision guides
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Government-Politics-Student-Guide/dp/1444148125
(There's more for the other units too I think)

Or the new Fourth Edition textbook if you really want to get a new one!

You can find model answers on the Edexcel website and even in some of the mark schemes!
Original post by aamirac

You can find model answers on the Edexcel website and even in some of the mark schemes!

I repped you. Good post. Have you done AS govt and politics with Edexcel or sitting for it in June? what other subjects and which exam boards are you with?
Reply 5
Original post by Audrey18
I repped you. Good post. Have you done AS govt and politics with Edexcel or sitting for it in June? what other subjects and which exam boards are you with?

Aww thank you! :hugs:
I'm going to sit the exam in June!
(Check my About Me page for that! :yy:)
Original post by aamirac

I do not recommend this textbook as it is out-dated. Essentials of UK Politics is ideal IMO - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-UK-Politics-Andrew-Heywood/dp/113753074X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457291018&sr=1-1&keywords=essentials+of+uk+politics. It is updated yearly, so it has a lot of information from the 2015 General Election, the reforms introduced by the coalition etc.

If you do get this book, keep in mind that for EdExcel you don't have to do the last chapter.
Original post by aamirac
Aww thank you! :hugs:
I'm going to sit the exam in June!
(Check my About Me page for that! :yy:)

Have you studied/revised for Unit 2? These are some sample questions. Would you like to try answering them?

Unit 2.1 : The UK Constitution
In the absence of a written Constitution, what mechanisms are in place to limit government's ever increasing powers?

Unit 2.2 : Parliament
Parliament can pass any law it wants no matter how ridiculous it is. To what extent is this true?

Unit 2.3 : The Prime Minister and Cabinet
Cabinet meetings are secret. Discuss.

Unit 2.4 : The judiciary and civil liberties
Do judges make law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending