The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Parent wanting to Know what Leeds Uni is like

Hi

My daughter has been offered a place at Leeds Uni. to study Medicine starting in September 2016. I am so proud! She has worked so hard, just like all the others!

I wasn't clever enough to go to Uni.

Like any other parent, I just want to know what it is like, she is looking at the different types of accommodation that are available. Can any one give me some pointers?

Thanks
Hey, first of all congratulations to your daughter! I can still barely add up and when my flatmate talks to me about 'genetics' I wonder how I even got here!

It's a Russell Group university, ranked highly in the UK and internationally. It's a 'campus' university, although it is unusual in the fact that it is right next to the town centre. Campus universities mean all the buildings are together, so there is no travelling across the city to get to lectures!

As a medical student she will probably spend most of her time in the buildings near to the hospital, and as such the university suggests that most students like 'The Tannery residences' and 'Sentinel Towers'. Although the accommodation choice will depend on what she is looking for really.

I live in Sentinel Towers and there are plenty of medics, biomedical science and nursing students here, as it's only a 15 minute to the teaching building. It's one of the cheapest en-suites that Leeds offers. I pay £120 a week. It's self catered and I share a kitchen with 4 other girls. I have no problem with this accommodation at all! For some it's a little 'too quiet' but it's very close to the city centre so if she wants to go out partying, she's not far from the party! - Please note the pictures they've got of the bedrooms online do this place no justice. The furniture has recently been replaced, and the hideous curtains have gone!

That being said if she is a big 'partier' most people like Central village. This is a bit pricier, and it is oversubscribed every year, so there is no guarantee she'd be placed there.

There are several on campus accommodations, most of which are catered, again this does add to the cost, but it's all personal preference really :smile:

Leeds as a place is fine, obviously like all cities there is crime, but as long as you are aware of your surroundings, and are sensible, you'll never get into any bother! There are several music venues, and lots of places to go shopping. The buses are quite good, and relatively cheap. There is a coach station and a train station, and a bus to Leeds/bradford airport so it's well connected as well.

If there are any more questions feel free to ask me :smile: (I'm a first year student studying business :tongue: )
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Hey, first of all congratulations to your daughter! I can still barely add up and when my flatmate talks to me about 'genetics' I wonder how I even got here!

It's a Russell Group university, ranked highly in the UK and internationally. It's a 'campus' university, although it is unusual in the fact that it is right next to the town centre. Campus universities mean all the buildings are together, so there is no travelling across the city to get to lectures!

As a medical student she will probably spend most of her time in the buildings near to the hospital, and as such the university suggests that most students like 'The Tannery residences' and 'Sentinel Towers'. Although the accommodation choice will depend on what she is looking for really.

I live in Sentinel Towers and there are plenty of medics, biomedical science and nursing students here, as it's only a 15 minute to the teaching building. It's one of the cheapest en-suites that Leeds offers. I pay £120 a week. It's self catered and I share a kitchen with 4 other girls. I have no problem with this accommodation at all! For some it's a little 'too quiet' but it's very close to the city centre so if she wants to go out partying, she's not far from the party! - Please note the pictures they've got of the bedrooms online do this place no justice. The furniture has recently been replaced, and the hideous curtains have gone!

That being said if she is a big 'partier' most people like Central village. This is a bit pricier, and it is oversubscribed every year, so there is no guarantee she'd be placed there.

There are several on campus accommodations, most of which are catered, again this does add to the cost, but it's all personal preference really :smile:

Leeds as a place is fine, obviously like all cities there is crime, but as long as you are aware of your surroundings, and are sensible, you'll never get into any bother! There are several music venues, and lots of places to go shopping. The buses are quite good, and relatively cheap. There is a coach station and a train station, and a bus to Leeds/bradford airport so it's well connected as well.

If there are any more questions feel free to ask me :smile: (I'm a first year student studying business :tongue: )

Hi

Thank you for the information, it's great to hear it's a good friendly place.

Good luck with your course

Again thank you

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest