The Student Room Group

Is it time all illegal drugs are legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bad Faith
If they were legalised then a regulatory authority specifically for drugs like cannabis, MDMA and etc.
And they should be taxed just like alcohol and tobaccos are taxed.

But who will have oversight? The government?
Original post by jamesthehustler
look at the chemical in manifactured drugs
arsenic
petrol
are just a couple of thing but organically grown stuff has no chemicals so therefore has a safer effect in the long term scheme of things

Wut? Really?
You do know that almost everything you can see and touch is a "chemical"?
There are plenty of naturally occurring chemicals that are dangerous/lethal, and so as I previously said, drugs should be assessed on a case by case basis and have nothing to do with whether or not they are "naturally occurring"...
People who take drugs need to remember that when they get ill or sick or whatever, the government has to clean up. By clean up, I mean free up space in hospitals just so you can get these drugs out of your system. It costs them money which could be spent elsewhere on patients (an an example) who are actually in danger of dying and/or have life-threatening injuries. So no, illegal drugs should not be legalised under any circumstances. I think the government have kept them illegal for various reasons.
Reply 83
Original post by Aceadria
But who will have oversight? The government?

Now that I think about it, the government might not be the best. Maybe some sort of independent organisation made up of scientists, economists, doctor, etc. people that are actually useful rather than some politicians.
It's frustrating to see that most of the people who say no base their opinion on ignorant assumptions without even bothering to spend a bit of time researching the almost flawless idea of legalising drugs. :doh:

Without going into too much detail look at these points, and bare in mind that this is also taking into account that most people that want to, and do, take drugs already have the ease of access to do so (trust me, I should know 😉):

"The government will have to clean up after people taking drugs blah blah"

Do you know how much money is spent on the war on drugs? Plus think about the money that selling these drugs will make. This money can easily be better spent on hospitals or other clinics to help people with whatever drug related problem if they need it. Ironically, most drug-related incidents happen because people are taking drugs that are advertised as X but turn out to be Y. Legalisation would directly combat this problem. It's a common presumption that the amount of drug taking will suddenly rise tenfold with legality, I assure you this will not happen lol. The number of people going to hospital for drugs-related cases will pretty much stay the same, if not simply decrease. As I stated before, if people want drugs they can get them now anyway.

"People will go to work tripping balls on LSD, Coke etc."

And I presume just because alcohol is legal every alcohol user goes to work drunk? It's very unlikely isn't it. And hey, if they do go to work high on whatever and get caught, then they can be dealt with like they would if they were drunk or high on prescription drugs... no biggy.

"It makes it easier to get blah blah"

I can assure you drugs are easier to get, in purer form, than ever before with the invention of the dark web marketplaces (and this is assuming one does not already have a trustworthy dealer down the road). If people want to get drugs, they can pretty much get whatever they want hassle free. What legalising drugs would do is make sure drug-takers are not getting punished/criminal records for something that puts nothing but themselves at harm, and cut out all of the nastiness that the current drug trade brings - exploitation of children and families, gang-related deaths and violence, cutting drugs with other substances etc.

Also look at what is happening to the tobacco industry. Tobacco packets are covered in warnings, there are slidey doors in shops covering them up, there are countless resources to help people quit, and smoking is banned from loads of public places. The result? The number of smokers has decreased because of these regulations, because it's less easy to smoke and to be tolerated publicly by the rest of society. BUT, if you still choose to smoke, sure go ahead... it's still readily available to buy. The same type of system can be put in place for drug x, y and z. It will be as easy as it's ever been.

________

Drugs are here to stay whether you like them or not. We can't even keep them out of our prison system. Prohibition doesn't work - open your eyes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bad Faith
Now that I think about it, the government might not be the best. Maybe some sort of independent organisation made up of scientists, economists, doctor, etc. people that are actually useful rather than some politicians.

I could see this working but executive powers might be an issue. They would need to have enough oversight to be able to overrule the government should it come to that.
Original post by jamesthehustler
my personal opinion is to legalise natural drugs so most opiates, weed, cocaine

That is horrific logic. Just absolutely terrible. And when does a drug become unnatural? How much processing? LSD is derived from ergot fungus. But then things like shrooms can be consumed without any processing if necessary. Most shrooms are consumed dried but they can be eaten wet, you just need to eat a higher weight due to the water content.
Original post by SubZero~
People who take drugs need to remember that when they get ill or sick or whatever, the government has to clean up. By clean up, I mean free up space in hospitals just so you can get these drugs out of your system. It costs them money which could be spent elsewhere on patients (an an example) who are actually in danger of dying and/or have life-threatening injuries. So no, illegal drugs should not be legalised under any circumstances. I think the government have kept them illegal for various reasons.

The taxes from tobacco sales are apparently enough to cover the cost of smoking to the NHS (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Surely drug legalisation and taxation has similar potential? People already use illegal drugs and end up needing the NHS - if they were legal there is opportunity to cover at least some of the cost through taxation.

Besides, the exact health impacts of some drugs are debatable, and some of them may be as harmful or even less harmful than things like tobacco and alcohol.
Reply 88
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Actually, I think reducing human trafficking is a good reason to legalise some drugs, though not exactly for the reasons you've mentioned. Many illegal drugs have slave labour in their supply chains, and they get away with it because the entire supply chain is hidden away from the eyes of the law. If more drugs were legalised, it could plausibly become easier to apply laws about working conditions and salaries to people in those supply chains who are currently being exploited.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought about that! Good way of putting it.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
The taxes from tobacco sales are apparently enough to cover the cost of smoking to the NHS (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Surely drug legalisation and taxation has similar potential? People already use illegal drugs and end up needing the NHS - if they were legal there is opportunity to cover at least some of the cost through taxation.

Besides, the exact health impacts of some drugs are debatable, and some of them may be as harmful or even less harmful than things like tobacco and alcohol.

Pretty sure taxpayers don't want to be paying for those who are on illegal drugs!
Pretty sure taxpayers don't want to be paying for those who are on illegal drugs!

Your brain is really absent of any logic, huh? If they were legal they wouldn't be illegal, would they?

The government hasn't kept them illegal for any legitimate reason, no. They ignore science, that's for sure.
Original post by alexs2602
Your brain is really absent of any logic, huh? If they were legal they wouldn't be illegal, would they?

The government hasn't kept them illegal for any legitimate reason, no. They ignore science, that's for sure.

I think the only one here who is really absent of logic is you, buddy. 'They ignore science, that's for sure.' Lol, okay.
I think the only one here who is really absent of logic is you, buddy. 'They ignore science, that's for sure.' Lol, okay.

Strong argument there, bro. Well done, you got me(!) How about when David Nutt said MDMA was safer than horseriding so they fired him? How about the growing body of research that says weed, shrooms, LSD, MDMA, ketamine are relatively safe and have therapeutic uses? That some of the safest drugs out there are class A. Much safer than alcohol and tobacco, that's for sure. It's all about politics, scaring them dumb voters like you so they can have tough on drug stances and get your juicy votes.
Original post by alexs2602
Strong argument there, bro. Well done, you got me(!) How about when David Nutt said MDMA was safer than horseriding so they fired him? How about the growing body of research that says weed, shrooms, LSD, MDMA, ketamine are relatively safe and have therapeutic uses? That some of the safest drugs out there are class A. Much safer than alcohol and tobacco, that's for sure. It's all about politics, scaring them dumb voters like you so they can have tough on drug stances and get your juicy votes.

You're the judgemental type, I can tell that much. :h: Please do share your sources. And no, I do not regard you as a singular, reliable source in attempt to sway my opinion.

I don't mean taxes generally, I mean taxes on the actual drugs if they were to be legalised.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
I don't mean taxes generally, I mean taxes on the actual drugs if they were to be legalised.

Understood.

Pretty sure 99.9% of people who take illegal drugs are themselves taxpayers.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Pretty sure 99.9% of people who take illegal drugs are themselves taxpayers.

I'm referring to those who do not take illegal drugs and are taxpayers.
I'm referring to those who do not take illegal drugs and are taxpayers.

Yeah well, I don't want to have to pay for alcohol related illnesses or those brought about by overeating, but that's just how the taxation system works.
As has already been stated, if the drugs were legal there would be more than enough surplus tax money to pay for the medical care required. You honestly have no argument here.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Yeah well, I don't want to have to pay for alcohol related illnesses or those brought about by overeating, but that's just how the taxation system works.
As has already been stated, if the drugs were legal there would be more than enough surplus tax money to pay for the medical care required. You honestly have no argument here.

The drugs also need to be cheaper than a dealer can sell them for too otherwise there is no point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending