The Student Room Group

Difficulty of Edexcel IGSCE Higher?

How difficult do you guys think the 2016 Edexcel Mathematics Higher will be? Harder or easier? What about the content, will there be more than the past papers? Leave your thoguhts down below.
Original post by AliNaqvi:D
How difficult do you guys think the 2016 Edexcel Mathematics Higher will be? Harder or easier? What about the content, will there be more than the past papers? Leave your thoguhts down below.

Last years was apparently quite difficult so we can only hope that this year's is easier.
We did the January 2016 paper for our mock and there were some things that only the people doing additional maths got right - I guess it depends on the year. The content will be of a similar level to the past papers I guess.
Just keep in mind it doesn't matter how hard or how difficult the paper is. 2013 was an unbelievably difficult year as a C was 20% compared to the usual 34-36%. The grades will shift all the time so not much to worry about!
Reply 3
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Last years was apparently quite difficult so we can only hope that this year's is easier.
We did the January 2016 paper for our mock and there were some things that only the people doing additional maths got right - I guess it depends on the year. The content will be of a similar level to the past papers I guess.

Was there anything out of the ordinary? Anything that usually isn't in the past papers? I'm sure that the January 2016 paper will (at least slightly) resemble the May/June 2016 paper content wise, and difficulty wise. Thanks, :biggrin:
Original post by AliNaqvi5
Was there anything out of the ordinary? Anything that usually isn't in the past papers? I'm sure that the January 2016 paper will (at least slightly) resemble the May/June 2016 paper content wise, and difficulty wise. Thanks, :biggrin:

There was a question where you needed to find to values of sin^-1(6/7) (something like that) - and if you hadn't done additional maths it was literally just trial and error (or lucky guessing)
There was something else but I've completely forgotten - I'm getting the papers back this week (hopefully) so I'll see.

Not relevant at all but the first paper was quite hard/required thought and the second was very straightforward (relatively)

There was a slightly strange function question and apart from that I don't really remember much
-They should all resemble each other - just some of the maths/methods aren't the same
Reply 5
There was a question where you needed to find to values of sin^-1(6/7) (something like that) - and if you hadn't done additional maths it was literally just trial and error (or lucky guessing)
There was something else but I've completely forgotten - I'm getting the papers back this week (hopefully) so I'll see.

Not relevant at all but the first paper was quite hard/required thought and the second was very straightforward (relatively)

There was a slightly strange function question and apart from that I don't really remember much
-They should all resemble each other - just some of the maths/methods aren't the same

Was that test calculator or non calculator (and was it 3H or 4H?) ? What grades were you getting in the past papers? What grade do you expect?Thanks again :smile:
Was that test calculator or non calculator (and was it 3H or 4H?) ? What grades were you getting in the past papers? What grade do you expect?Thanks again :smile:

We did 3H and 4HR (I think). Both calculator papers - I thought all the edexcel IGCSE papers are calculators....
The most recent past paper I did I got 93/100 (so an A*) but that was flukey - I usually get high-As to mid-A*S.
I'm hoping for an A*. If I don't get an A* I'll be quite disappointed. I expect at least a high A though.
Reply 7
We did 3H and 4HR (I think). Both calculator papers - I thought all the edexcel IGCSE papers are calculators....
The most recent past paper I did I got 93/100 (so an A*) but that was flukey - I usually get high-As to mid-A*S.
I'm hoping for an A*. If I don't get an A* I'll be quite disappointed. I expect at least a high A though.

Right now I'm getting around ≈70-75% in all the past papers I did, an A starts usually at ≈60% so I'm happy both ways A or A* (I'm not going to school, i study on my own)
Let's just hope the Edexcel Gods are with us this year round.
Right now I'm getting around ≈70-75% in all the past papers I did, an A starts usually at ≈60% so I'm happy both ways A or A* (I'm not going to school, i study on my own)
Let's just hope the Edexcel Gods are with us this year round.

I really hope so.
If I get a B for the final thing I will literally cry and definitely retake - I need at least an A for 3 of my A levels and I need a high A or A* for the fourth,
What's the A* percentage?
Reply 9
I really hope so.
If I get a B for the final thing I will literally cry and definitely retake - I need at least an A for 3 of my A levels and I need a high A or A* for the fourth,
What's the A* percentage?

A* usually starts at 75% an A is usually 60%. Here's the 2014 grade boundaries.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/International-GCSE/1406_International_GCSE_Grade_Boundaries.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiMk6PE-KzLAhVL5xoKHcNyArUQFggbMAE&usg=AFQjCNHC5KQiov__SjygEPcjGSsToqPX-A&sig2=WPeuhMcT0fMCjT7XZN_gkg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending