The Student Room Group

Anyone here watch Marvel/DC shows?!

What do you watch?

I haven't really read the comics but I have been watching some series religiously!!
For example, Gotham, Legends of tomorrow, The Flash and Arrow are just a few, also Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D!!

Alot of people I know arn't into Marvel and DC and there's SOO much I want to talk about!!:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CleverSquirrel
What do you watch?

I haven't really read the comics but I have been watching some series religiously!!
For example, Gotham, Legends of tomorrow, The Flash and Arrow are just a few, also Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D!!

Alot of people I know arn't into Marvel and DC and there's SOO much I want to talk about!!:biggrin:

The only ones I've seen that I enjoy are Netflix's series aimed at older audiences- Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Both are excellent, but Daredevil in particular is one of my favourite shows of the last couple of years.

Everything else has either failed to grab my attention or I've outright disliked. I watched the first few episodes of Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Arrow, Gotham, and Legends of Tomorrow before giving up because I didn't find them remotely interesting despite being a big fan of comic book movies in general. I can appreciate that making a TV show on the same level of quality as a blockbuster movie is not feasible, but to me they're just nowhere near the standards set by the best TV shows of recent years, either in the realms of comic books (The Walking Dead being the best example) or TV shows as a whole.

I recently went back and watched the entire first season of Gotham on the basis that season 2 is apparently much better, but it barely held my interest and gave up after a few episodes of season 2. I may go back to the Marvel properties though, if only for the tie-ins to the MCU movies which I enjoy greatly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oooh Daredevils a good show!! Though I've only watched the first season.
Really?! I got crazily addicted to Arrow and Gotham straight away!

How come you didn't find them interesting? I got hooked to them really quickly😂 The walking dead is such a good show too!!!

Which ones did dislike so much?
I understand that Constantine was absolutely **** because of....everything,
Let's face it, they could have done much better!!!

You have to be patient with Gotham, season 1 is slow but still gripping and it's season 2, it took me a few episodes to fully start enjoying it but it is where the fun really starts!!
I don't want to go into too much detail considering the fact I don't know how much you've watched 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
How come you didn't find them interesting? I got hooked to them really quickly😂

Which ones did dislike so much?

They all suffered from the same sort of problems for me- lack of focussed intended audience made them feel like a mess in terms of tone, quality of the acting and writing was generally patchy (Gotham in particular was filled with clichéd goodies and panto villains. Penguin, who was supposedly the best part of that show, ended up being one of the most annoying TV characters I've ever suffered through), the plots were corny and predictable without exception. In short, they all felt like lazy cash cows leeching off the success of their more successful movie counterparts. It took Netflix's vision, commitment to a target audience, and willingness to take risks, to make a worthwhile adaptation in my opinion.

The Walking Dead really is the best example of doing everything right that most superhero shows get wrong- the production value is top notch, and you end up invested in the characters.

You have to be patient with Gotham, season 1 is slow but still gripping and it's season 2, it took me a few episodes to fully start enjoying it but it is where the fun really starts!!

I personally didn't get that, it felt like pulling teeth having to put up with the boring characters like Jim Gordon and the insufferable villains throughout that first season. Even when they managed to come up with a half-decent antagonist in the circus kid/Joker Lite, they killed him off to further the plot of the main villain who is nowhere near as interesting as I think they intended him to be. I forced myself through Season 1 on the promise that the Season 2 was better, but to me everything I gated was still there.

I don't want to go into too much detail considering the fact I don't know how much you've watched

I got to episode 7 of the second season of Gotham before giving up :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes!!! Love Arrow, Flash and Jessica Jones. Flash and Arrow are by far my two favourites though. I am so obsessed heh
I am a huge Marvel and DC fan so it's great to know someone on TSR shares my interests :biggrin: I was actually going to make a post on this earlier but glad I saw this one~

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by --------

Penguin, who was supposedly the best part of that show, ended up being one of the most annoying TV characters I've ever suffered through

okay so i slightly agree with you on this one, he is quite annoying, although there were many times when an episode didn't need Penguin. Or Fish. Or Bruce. Or, in the case of the finale, Selina, so i agree with you there to a certain extent.

The Walking Dead really is the best example of doing everything right that most superhero shows get wrong- the production value is top notch, and you end up invested in the characters.

Totally agree with you here!! how far are you into The Walking Dead? I'm only on season 2:colondollar:

Even when they managed to come up with a half-decent antagonist in the circus kid/Joker Lite, they killed him off to further the plot of the main villain who is nowhere near as interesting as I think they intended him to be.

Yeah a few people said that too, on IMDB for example, i don't quite get it tbh, i found it so interesing and i was hooked! okay they killed off in the plot, but there have been better villans too, like the riddler for example!!

I got to episode 7 of the second season of Gotham before giving up :yep:
Nahhhhh!!! i loved every bit of it!!!!! I guess everyone has thier preferances!! aha
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by frognation22
Yes!!! Love Arrow, Flash and Jessica Jones. Flash and Arrow are by far my two favourites though. I am so obsessed heh
I am a huge Marvel and DC fan so it's great to know someone on TSR shares my interests :biggrin: I was actually going to make a post on this earlier but glad I saw this one~

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay, finally someone to talk to about all this jazz!!! :jumphug:

How far are you in Arrow?! How are you finding it?! I'm only on season 2 episode 4 so no spoilers okay!! haha

Do you watch Legends of tomorrow?:colondollar:

Flash is absolutely amazing!!! I'm up to date with so we can discuss that in depth!! haha, depending on how many you've seen too that is!!
I'm a big fan of DC TV shows! Honestly i've never read the comics, but i love the shows!! I didn't get that hooked to the Marvel shows, for example, no offence but I found Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. quite boring-I'm not sure why, actually I think it's because I started off with DC first,but I can talk about DC for days on end!!!!:biggrin:
okay so i slightly agree with you on this one, he is quite annoying, although there were many times when an episode didn't need Penguin. Or Fish. Or Bruce. Or, in the case of the finale, Selina, so i agree with you there to a certain extent.

Fish was an absolute waste of resources too, I'd love to have seen how much better the show would have been if they didn't have to pay whatever fee she could demand as Will Smith's wife, then put that money into a competent writer!

However without a doubt, the worst character is Penguin's mother, she's probably the single worst character ever created in a TV show of this size. Every time she's on screen I fight the urge to throw my laptop out the window.

Totally agree with you here!! how far are you into The Walking Dead? I'm only on season 2:colondollar:

I'm all caught up :yep: in case you weren't aware, the actor playing Shane is going to be one of the main characters in Daredevil season 2 :teeth:

Yeah a few people said that too, on IMDB for example, i don't quite get it tbh, i found it so interesing and i was hooked! okay they killed off in the plot, but there have been better villans too, like the riddler for example!!

Nigma is one of the few areas where the show has improved. He went from being an annoying git if a character (we get it, you're going to become The Riddler, you don't need to tell a crappy riddle every ****ing time you appear on screen) to an actually quite interesting character with split personality. They should have started with him like that and skipped the "awkward geek" phase.

Nahhhhh!!! i loved ever bit of it!!!!! I guess everyone has thier preferances!! aha

If course, people like what they like :h: For me, they all just grate on me too much!
Yay, finally someone to talk to about all this jazz!!! :jumphug:

How far are you in Arrow?! How are you finding it?! I'm only on season 2 episode 4 so no spoilers okay!! haha

Do you watch Legends of tomorrow?:colondollar:

Flash is absolutely amazing!!! I'm up to date with so we can discuss that in depth!! haha, depending on how many you've seen too that is!!
I'm a big fan of DC TV shows! Honestly i've never read the comics, but i love the shows!! I didn't get that hooked to the Marvel shows, for example, no offence but I found Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. quite boring-I'm not sure why, actually I think it's because I started off with DC first,but I can talk about DC for days on end!!!!:biggrin:

I haven't even gotten to season 2 of Arrow yet LOL I only started two weeks ago!! I'm almost caught up with Flash though. We probably wouldn't be able to discuss the shows much because you'd probably spoil it for me XD I don't really know how to watch the episodes of Flash though (for season2) because it's not on Netflix so I guess I have to wait until August :frown:

I started marvel shows first (Jessica Jones) and whilst I love JJ, it was kind of a bit slow...it definitely has a very dark and suspenseful tone to it, but it didn't get me interested the way I got interested in Arrow! Have you watched JJ yet? I don't know AOS and Agent Carter look like fine shows, but just judging from the trailers, they don't appeal to me very much. Don't know why. And I feel I would get bored of AOS pretty quickly. I'm not sure why but maybe just the way Marvel shows are filmed lack appeal to me.

On the other hand, I think I prefer Marvel movies over DC movies for sure, and I am really excited for Civil War :biggrin: (also batman vs superman as well though!!!)

I think I will eventually start on Legends, it's just that my main goal is definitely to catch up on both Flash and Arrow first

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't even gotten to season 2 of Arrow yet LOL I only started two weeks ago!! I'm almost caught up with Flash though. We probably wouldn't be able to discuss the shows much because you'd probably spoil it for me XD I don't really know how to watch the episodes of Flash though (for season2) because it's not on Netflix so I guess I have to wait until August :frown:

I started marvel shows first (Jessica Jones) and whilst I love JJ, it was kind of a bit slow...it definitely has a very dark and suspenseful tone to it, but it didn't get me interested the way I got interested in Arrow! Have you watched JJ yet? I don't know AOS and Agent Carter look like fine shows, but just judging from the trailers, they don't appeal to me very much. Don't know why. And I feel I would get bored of AOS pretty quickly. I'm not sure why but maybe just the way Marvel shows are filmed lack appeal to me.

On the other hand, I think I prefer Marvel movies over DC movies for sure, and I am really excited for Civil War :biggrin: (also batman vs superman as well though!!!)

I think I will eventually start on Legends, it's just that my main goal is definitely to catch up on both Flash and Arrow first

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay!! I'm not that far off to be honest!! but yeah probably shouldn't say much-It's too good:biggrin:

I haven't actually watched JJ, I've heard its good, but i guess i'll start that in the summer holidays when i don't have exams to revise for hehe

Honestly I got really bored of AOS, within the first few episodes of it, i gave up and started watching The Flash!!! Yeah i find most of them quite boring:colondollar:

OMGEEE I'M SO LOOKING FOR FORWARD TO CIVIL WAR!!!!! I have no one to go with because no-one i know is into this stuff!!! Batman vs Superman will be very very interesting don't you think? I'm not really sure how i feel about the whole mix, but i guess we'll have to wait and see!!!

Yes!! do that first!! and start Legends when you have time, because i promise you, you will not regret it at all!!!
Okay again, fair point made, i got quite annoyed with Will Smiths wife too at certain points! she was probably the worst thing about the show. Probably even more so than than the not so subtle villain references. The scene with Falcone (who was ******* awesome) showed just how weak she is when faced against an incredibly good actor, and then after where she meets with Jim and Harvey was just so cringe!

Okay, so her accent is awful, but she's perfect for showing us that Penguin's quirks come from how he was raised and wanting to please her, Even though he was annoying AF. But She is also perfect to be killed off and send Penguin into full-on villain mode (the Kringle girl is also perfect for this, for Riddler).

Good!!!!! Yes i just found out a few days ago!! I fangirled for wayyy to long about this!!
I found out half way through a lesson and was smiling crazily like a weirdo and my teacher asked what had happened, so I told him and we both fangirled together (my teachers like a 28 guy-it was amazing!!!
Daredevils such a good show, plus add a Shane to the mix- it's going to be PERFECT. Isn't Jon Bernthal casted to play Frank Castle i think?!- it's going to be amazing!!!!!!

Yes!!!! Again I agree with you here, Nigma was hands down one of my favourite villains (you can have favourites okay-hehe) I loved the way they had gone around doing that actually, first annoying and then interesting, I think it was great the way it was done!! I think it was a way to keep audiences interested!- it worked for me haha

yeahhh i guess soo I'm like that with Marvel
Ahh okay!! I'm not that far off to be honest!! but yeah probably shouldn't say much-It's too good:biggrin:

I haven't actually watched JJ, I've heard its good, but i guess i'll start that in the summer holidays when i don't have exams to revise for hehe

Honestly I got really bored of AOS, within the first few episodes of it, i gave up and started watching The Flash!!! Yeah i find most of them quite boring:colondollar:

OMGEEE I'M SO LOOKING FOR FORWARD TO CIVIL WAR!!!!! I have no one to go with because no-one i know is into this stuff!!! Batman vs Superman will be very very interesting don't you think? I'm not really sure how i feel about the whole mix, but i guess we'll have to wait and see!!!

Yes!! do that first!! and start Legends when you have time, because i promise you, you will not regret it at all!!!

Omg yes I'm so excited to start Legends and that's also partly because of Captain Cold!! I love him as a villain

I love Flash so much but occasionally some people will spoil it on Twitter or something and be like OMFG CAITLIN AS KILLER FROST WHAT?? and I'm just sitting there like WHAT IS KILLER FROST OMG NO HAS SHE TURNED BAD?? and I know right LOOL I have no one to go with to watch civil war (even deadpool) either and probably will end up watching superman vs batman by myself ahha. I wasn't really sure how I felt about B vs S because I didn't like Man of Steel very much (I thought it was so poorly written), but then I saw the second trailer for B vs S and they made it look sooo good and suspenseful. I love the dark theme and the music goes so well with it.

Are you excited for Suicide squad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg yes I'm so excited to start Legends and that's also partly because of Captain Cold!! I love him as a villain

I love Flash so much but occasionally some people will spoil it on Twitter or something and be like OMFG CAITLIN AS KILLER FROST WHAT?? and I'm just sitting there like WHAT IS KILLER FROST OMG NO HAS SHE TURNED BAD?? and I know right LOOL I have no one to go with to watch civil war (even deadpool) either and probably will end up watching superman vs batman by myself ahha. I wasn't really sure how I felt about B vs S because I didn't like Man of Steel very much (I thought it was so poorly written), but then I saw the second trailer for B vs S and they made it look sooo good and suspenseful. I love the dark theme and the music goes so well with it.

Are you excited for Suicide squad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are so right for being excited for Legends!!! Soooooooo good :wink: i wont' tell you much but it's soo worth it!!

Yeah luckily i don't have twitter and not many friends either- so I don't have any noobs spoiling it for me:colondollar: Yeah i would dwell more onto that, but am i right thinking you probably don't want anymore spoilers!! haha

Yeah I haven't seen Deadpool yet either!! I don't want to go on my own to watch it either- i hate going on my own!!
Completely agree with you there, i was quite disappointed with Man of Steel, they could have soo much better than that!
But yeah, it took me 4 replays of the trailers to get interested about it, i wasn't sure at first and now I'm getting a tad exited to go and watch it!! The trailers well made, and yes, I agree again the music choice and theme are just the definition of perfect!!!!

Am i exciting for suicide squad? Hmmmm I'M SO FREAKING OUT FOR IT!!!
A) the casting is just AMAZING! (Will Smith, Jared Leto,Viola Davis ect)
B) I've seen the trailer soo many times, I think I know it off by heart now!!
C) All my favourite Villains jam packed into one film, all played by the best fitting actors is going to be sooo good!!!
C) DC expanding out on films like this is something i've been waiting for, for a very long time!!!
You are so right for being excited for Legends!!! Soooooooo good :wink: i wont' tell you much but it's soo worth it!!

Yeah luckily i don't have twitter and not many friends either- so I don't have any noobs spoiling it for me:colondollar: Yeah i would dwell more onto that, but am i right thinking you probably don't want anymore spoilers!! haha

Yeah I haven't seen Deadpool yet either!! I don't want to go on my own to watch it either- i hate going on my own!!
Completely agree with you there, i was quite disappointed with Man of Steel, they could have soo much better than that!
But yeah, it took me 4 replays of the trailers to get interested about it, i wasn't sure at first and now I'm getting a tad exited to go and watch it!! The trailers well made, and yes, I agree again the music choice and theme are just the definition of perfect!!!!

Am i exciting for suicide squad? Hmmmm I'M SO FREAKING OUT FOR IT!!!
A) the casting is just AMAZING! (Will Smith, Jared Leto,Viola Davis ect)
B) I've seen the trailer soo many times, I think I know it off by heart now!!
C) All my favourite Villains jam packed into one film, all played by the best fitting actors is going to be sooo good!!!
C) DC expanding out on films like this is something i've been waiting for, for a very long time!!!

Do you usually watch Flash on sky? I really want to get started on season 2, but they don't show the reruns and the CW TV website only shows the most recent five episodes :frown: so bummed over it! (At least I have arrow to entertain me for now at least though :biggrin:)

And I know right I'm most excited for suicide squad! So much more than B vs S actually lol. I wasn't so sure how I felt about Cara Delevingne being a part of the movie at first but since then I've gotten over it, and I'm thinking she just might be a good addition. Who knows! I love Will and Margot too. Just the whole cast is perfect and I totally became obsessed with Viola after I started watching How to get away with murder hehe

What would you say is your favourite Marvel film so far/ the one you're looking forward to the most! :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you usually watch Flash on sky? I really want to get started on season 2, but they don't show the reruns and the CW TV website only shows the most recent five episodes :frown: so bummed over it! (At least I have arrow to entertain me for now at least though :biggrin:)

And I know right I'm most excited for suicide squad! So much more than B vs S actually lol. I wasn't so sure how I felt about Cara Delevingne being a part of the movie at first but since then I've gotten over it, and I'm thinking she just might be a good addition. Who knows! I love Will and Margot too. Just the whole cast is perfect and I totally became obsessed with Viola after I started watching How to get away with murder hehe

What would you say is your favourite Marvel film so far/ the one you're looking forward to the most! :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! watch it on sky!! I've got it on series link, so if i do miss an episode, it'll be recorded!! If it doesn't then I watch it on watch series-it's all on there!!
Try watchseries because it will even have the episodes that haven't been aired!!!
Arrows soo good!!!! I re-watched the entire season 1!! hence why i'm so behind-haha
Yeah i wasn't too happy when they announced that Cara will be part of the movie, i'm still not happy about it! As an actor i don't think she's strong enough to be part of the crew, but i guess we'll see how it goes!!I
I'm mostly looking forward to Will and Margot too. How to get away with murder is an amazing show!!!

Hmm i don't think i can pick tbh!!!! I absolutely loved Iron man, though the second one was soo crap!!
The Avengers was soo good too, but like I said, I prefer DC so loved Dark Knight and Man of Steel, they've got to be my favs!!! I think you can tell but i'm looking soooooooooooo forward to Suicide Squad:biggrin:

What about you?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah! watch it on sky!! I've got it on series link, so if i do miss an episode, it'll be recorded!! If it doesn't then I watch it on watch series-it's all on there!!
Try watchseries because it will even have the episodes that haven't been aired!!!
Arrows soo good!!!! I re-watched the entire season 1!! hence why i'm so behind-haha
Yeah i wasn't too happy when they announced that Cara will be part of the movie, i'm still not happy about it! As an actor i don't think she's strong enough to be part of the crew, but i guess we'll see how it goes!!I
I'm mostly looking forward to Will and Margot too. How to get away with murder is an amazing show!!!

Hmm i don't think i can pick tbh!!!! I absolutely loved Iron man, though the second one was soo crap!!
The Avengers was soo good too, but like I said, I prefer DC so loved Dark Knight and Man of Steel, they've got to be my favs!!! I think you can tell but i'm looking soooooooooooo forward to Suicide Squad:biggrin:

What about you?!

Ah ok thanks for the advice @ the watch series thing :smile: haha I wish we could discuss more about these shows but I'm so far behind oh well LOL.

And I absolutely loved Dark Knight and the third one was sooo good in my opinion and so intense. I thought Bald made the perfect Batman but now I think Affleck fits Batman even better?!

Yeah I think I've always seen Cara as a fashion model so it's still so hard to adjust seeing her as an actress meh

I'm definitely looking forward to suicide squad the most and hm I think I'm most looking forward to Civil War :biggrin: Captain America has always been my favourite of them all so that's probably why ahha I'm just excited to see more of Bucky Barnes XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok thanks for the advice @ the watch series thing :smile: haha I wish we could discuss more about these shows but I'm so far behind oh well LOL.

And I absolutely loved Dark Knight and the third one was sooo good in my opinion and so intense. I thought Bald made the perfect Batman but now I think Affleck fits Batman even better?!

Yeah I think I've always seen Cara as a fashion model so it's still so hard to adjust seeing her as an actress meh

I'm definitely looking forward to suicide squad the most and hm I think I'm most looking forward to Civil War :biggrin: Captain America has always been my favourite of them all so that's probably why ahha I'm just excited to see more of Bucky Barnes XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha no probs :smile: Me too, i'm quite behind on a few shows!!! Don't worry, when you do catch up PM me, then we could talk more about it!! :smile:

Yeah Dark Knight was amazing!! The key performance in the movie is by the late heath ledger- he played the joker soooo well!!!!
I reckon Bald made alright-ish Batman, personally i thought he could have done much better but I totally agree with on Affleck as Batman! He's beautiful and plays Batman perfectly!!

Cara will always be a model in my head so seeing her acting might just annoy me-haha who knows, I'll wait until the movie comes out to see!!

ahh yeah!! Captain America was really good too, also yeah it does explain that-haha XD
Suicide Squad comes out in August right?! I can't wait that long!!!! It seems to far :/
Civil War will be good! i honestly can't wait for the release of these!!! And soo much tension between Iron Man and Captain America, I really want to know how well it will be done, and if the film lives up to my expectations!! The trailers soo good:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
I've watched a fair few of the superhero shows, The flash & daredevil are my favourite. I'm re watching daredevil in preparation for the new series it's awesome haha
Original post by Loca45
I've watched a fair few of the superhero shows, The flash & daredevil are my favourite. I'm re watching daredevil in preparation for the new series it's awesome haha

I've yet to try daredevil as well haha! Too many good shows...not enough time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I've yet to try daredevil as well haha! Too many good shows...not enough time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clear your schedule, it's definitely worth it haha. The fight scenes are outrageously good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending