The Student Room Group

A level chocies: Is it worth doing triple science?

I know it's very last minute to ask this (I have to give in my choices on Monday) but I'm having second thoughts.

So far the choices I am certain of are double maths and biology. The other slots will probably be taken by 2 of the 3: Chemistry, Physics, Economics.

I want to do something either in the field of medicine on neuroscience and for these I need biology and chemistry. I do have interest in economics, however I'm not sure it's that relevant to my desired career paths. The problem is I have a mixed relationship with physics; some parts I naturally excel at, but my recent mock exam and topic test results have been B throughout this academic year. Chemistry I feel there are some areas that I find boring and I dont really understand which is why I've been getting As and Bs, however I think this is probably because I have a bad teacher who I dislike and this stops me from applying myself. Due to my natural flair in physics I think it would be a good idea to do it for AS, incase I have any second thoughts and want to go into a more physics driven field such as engineering, but this is less likely than the careers stated above.

This would lead me to wanting to take double maths, biology, chemistry and physics for AS. The problem is this is a huge workload and due to my doubts in my abilities in chemistry and physics I'm not sure whether I'll be able to handle it.

Has anyone had experience with taking triple science? If so, how confident were you when you started and how well did you manage?

Quick replies would be greatly appreciated.
That's fine I reckon you should take triple science I did triple science and maths at AS and carried them all through to A2. It's not a hard work and the work load isn't a lot at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Squishy™
That's fine I reckon you should take triple science I did triple science and maths at AS and carried them all through to A2. It's not a hard work and the work load isn't a lot at all.

That's a bit of a relief.

If you don't mind my asking, what grades did you get and how did they compare to your predicted grades?
Original post by throwaway20
That's a bit of a relief.

If you don't mind my asking, what grades did you get and how did they compare to your predicted grades?

I was predicted BCCC with B in math
I got AAAA with over 90% avg thank god
My A2 predictions are A*A*A*A* but my targets are BCC
Reply 4

clever clogs, hope you get them grades :smile:
Yeah I'm doing triple science and double maths at AS currently - it's doable if you work hard from day 1 and stay on top of your work (I've slacked a bit and regretting it a little). I'd recommend dropping at least one of your options for year 13 however, unless you are a genius or insanely dedicated to your subjects.
Reply 6

Impressive. Thanks for the reassurance.
Reply 7
Original post by h8skoooooool
Yeah I'm doing triple science and double maths at AS currently - it's doable if you work hard from day 1 and stay on top of your work (I've slacked a bit and regretting it a little). I'd recommend dropping at least one of your options for year 13 however, unless you are a genius or insanely dedicated to your subjects.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do my best to keep on top of things.
Original post by mkap
clever clogs, hope you get them grades :smile:

Lol I'm no better than you or anyone else, just work hard and anyone can get that.
I know it's very last minute to ask this (I have to give in my choices on Monday) but I'm having second thoughts.

So far the choices I am certain of are double maths and biology. The other slots will probably be taken by 2 of the 3: Chemistry, Physics, Economics.

I want to do something either in the field of medicine on neuroscience and for these I need biology and chemistry. I do have interest in economics, however I'm not sure it's that relevant to my desired career paths. The problem is I have a mixed relationship with physics; some parts I naturally excel at, but my recent mock exam and topic test results have been B throughout this academic year. Chemistry I feel there are some areas that I find boring and I dont really understand which is why I've been getting As and Bs, however I think this is probably because I have a bad teacher who I dislike and this stops me from applying myself. Due to my natural flair in physics I think it would be a good idea to do it for AS, incase I have any second thoughts and want to go into a more physics driven field such as engineering, but this is less likely than the careers stated above.

This would lead me to wanting to take double maths, biology, chemistry and physics for AS. The problem is this is a huge workload and due to my doubts in my abilities in chemistry and physics I'm not sure whether I'll be able to handle it.

Has anyone had experience with taking triple science? If so, how confident were you when you started and how well did you manage?

I'm currently studying medicine.

I picked those subjects, and more.

Inbox me if you'd like any help, I don't like publishing my subjects/grades in public :smile:

A-levels are a big step up from GCSE, so I would be inclined not to pick 5 A-levels if you are getting B's at GCSE. But presumably you can change your choices on results day, so your decision now doesn't matter too much.
I did maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

I got A*A*ABB respectively. If I had focused more on biology and chemistry and less on maths towards the end of my second year I could have gotten AAA in the sciences though. I was pretty confident when I started.

Bs at GCSE do seem low but it depends on the school etc.. It is a big workload. I know people who got As and Bs at GCSE and U-D at AS, just doing one or two maths and science A-levels. Also if you take 4 or 5 to A2 you'll have a lot of exams in second year.
I do A2 Economics so feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Thanks for all the replies, means a lot.

Despite its difficulties, I think I'll take double maths and triple science. I've always had a knack for maths and biology so as long as I work hard those should be fine. As for physics and chemistry, I've looked through everything we've done in the IGCSE syllabus and realised if I work very hard I know I'll be able to become confident even before the exams come round the corner; I'll just need to push myself very hard. Although I know A levels don't really compare to GCSEs, I think if I can get this confidence boost now I think I'll have the motivation to stay on top of everything.

I can't really change my choices on results day, since I'll be away and come back around 2 weeks after the results are released. I have been inconsistent with exams, even those that I've thought went really well. I think it will just take some serious dedication to reassess everything and make sure I'm fully prepared.
x

You can do this okay? Just believe in yourself and anything is possible. Don't be a minority and take the easy way out, be the best and make it happen, don't just go for double science or even core science (not that im saying the people who do those are unintelligent etc) but if you have the chance of doing triple science take it with both arms. I know it may seem tough at first but if you keep practicing there's no reason why you can not excel :smile:

But hey, I'm just the prince of britannia telling you my opinion...
Reply 15
Original post by Lelouch's Geass
You can do this okay? Just believe in yourself and anything is possible. Don't be a minority and take the easy way out, be the best and make it happen, don't just go for double science or even core science (not that im saying the people who do those are unintelligent etc) but if you have the chance of doing triple science take it with both arms. I know it may seem tough at first but if you keep practicing there's no reason why you can not excel :smile:

But hey, I'm just the prince of britannia telling you my opinion...

Thanks for the support. I have some pretty ridiculously high aspirations and if I want to make it a reality I need to start acting and putting in everything NOW.

Quick Reply

Latest