The Student Room Group

What does 'Context' mean ? English help ! ASAP

What does Context mean? In a paragraph (it's related to text) please could you give me a good definition and example quickly !
Like i think there are different types of context !
I'm doing my AS English language.
(edited 8 years ago)
Context - the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood.

E.g. based on the context(1960s) , same-sex couples were frowned upon and weren't treated with respect
For our course we have to take into account historical context. Consider the the significance of an action or event during the time the play/book is set in... Does it make it worse/better etc
Reply 3
Original post by Mayhem™
Context - the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood.

E.g. based on the context(1960s) , same-sex couples were frowned upon and weren't treated with respect

I'm still a bit confused here.. :/ does it mean the text or speech that comes immediately before and after a particular phrase or piece of text and helps to explain its meaning?
Reply 4
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
For our course we have to take into account historical context. Consider the the significance of an action or event during the time the play/book is set in... Does it make it worse/better etc

I just need to know the general meaning of context..like what is it in a paragraph?
Relate it to the real world..
Basically talk about the history of it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
its like the way in which something is meant.

EG. you cannot determine the context of how someone says something online
Original post by Hanna423
I just need to know the general meaning of context..like what is it in a paragraph?

Perhaps you should post the extract you're looking at - people could try and help you out that way.
Original post by Hanna423
I'm still a bit confused here.. :/ does it mean the text or speech that comes immediately before and after a particular phrase or piece of text and helps to explain its meaning?

It'd be this; think of it as background information which helps you understand a particular action or situation(like the one I gave previously).

Quick Reply

Latest