The Student Room Group

Self Studying A Level Modules: FP1, FP2, M1, M2, D1

Hi all,

I would like to ask: how difficult is it to self study FP1, FP2, M1, M2 and D1 with guidance of examsolutions.net?

Many thanks to anyone who replies to this thread

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Schu98
Hi all,

I would like to ask: how difficult is it to self study FP1, FP2, M1, M2 and D1 with guidance of examsolutions.net?

I'm doing M1 and have relied pretty heavily on exam solutions and ukmathsteacher. Both are excellent resources.

There's no reason as to why the other modules would be any different - other than difficultly.
Original post by Schu98
Hi all,

M1 is one of the easiest modules. Seriously, compared to M2 its like going from mario kart to dark souls. D1 involves a lot of hard work and doing all the questions, but it is generally OK. The FPs are Furthers for a reason, especially FP2. I would say that studying FP2/M2 with 0 help would be pretty brutal.
Original post by Schu98
Hi all,

Perhaps look into the further maths support programme and speak to your teachers about it - they provide live lectures that go over the specification and a login with integral (that has a study plan and some practice questions). You'd be surprised how much it helps having someone talk the methods through, instead of just reading it out of the textbook.
Original post by Apolexian
M1 is one of the easiest modules. Seriously, compared to M2 its like going from mario kart to dark souls. D1 involves a lot of hard work and doing all the questions, but it is generally OK. The FPs are Furthers for a reason, especially FP2. I would say that studying FP2/M2 with 0 help would be pretty brutal.

I thought M2 was easier than M1. Did you mean to say M3?
Original post by Louisb19
I thought M2 was easier than M1. Did you mean to say M3?

Im not sure which exam board you are doing but M1 Edexcel is border easiest module with C1

M2 is literally M1 on major steroids, there is no way it is easier.
For example, moments taken at angles, actual components of horizontal and vertical speed not just "U" , ladders, suspension from points in centre of masses
(edited 8 years ago)
With focus, discipline and dedication, it'll all be really easy. I self taught C1-4 M1-2 FP1-2 and S1-2 using exam solutions and the textbook (and my results were great).

The way I did it was to watch a vid on the content of the next exercise and then to go through the examples+notes in the textbook and then to do every question in that exercise.

Good luck :smile:
Im not sure which exam board you are doing but M1 Edexcel is border easiest module with C1

M2 is literally M1 on major steroids, there is no way it is easier.
For example, moments taken at angles, actual components of horizontal and vertical speed not just "U" , ladders, suspension from points in centre of masses

I doubt you could find many people on this forum that agrees with you. M2 may be slightly harder content wise but at that point you already have basic intuition for mechanics so I think it is easier.
Original post by Louisb19
I doubt you could find many people on this forum that agrees with you. M2 may be slightly harder content wise but at that point you already have basic intuition for mechanics so I think it is easier.

If you did IGCSE physics you literally have about 80% of M1 figured out
(edited 8 years ago)
If you did IGCSE physics you literally have about 80% of M1 figured out

Going back to OPs question, FP2 will be your biggest problem
Reply 10
Original post by Schu98
Hi all,

It's not at all. I did that and more and it was fairly standard, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest