The Student Room Group

Dear females....

Have you ever had milk come out your boob when you weren't pregnant?

Milk had come out my boob but I've never been pregnant so I'm confused.
I do because of a medication I take.

Go to your GP, they'll probably test your prolactin levels and find out why. But in the mean time don't worry too much.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Have you ever had milk come out your boob when you weren't pregnant?

Milk had come out my boob but I've never been pregnant so I'm confused.

Some medication can have that side effect

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Noodlzzz
I do because of a medication I take.

Go to your GP, they'll probably test your prolactin levels and find out why. But in the mean time don't worry too much.

Is it bad to have high levels of prolactin when you're not pregnant?

Original post by Andy98
Some medication can have that side effect

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh okay, that's probably it.
No, that's weird.
Reply 5

I know my medication has it listed as a potential side effect (even for guys)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends why it's high. For me it was because of meds. Other reasons include thyroid issues or a tumour (not necessarily malignant)
No,not at all
Reply 8
Original post by Andy98
I know my medication has it listed as a potential side effect (even for guys)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guys can produce breast milk? :eek: I had no idea.
Reply 9
Guys can produce breast milk? :eek: I had no idea.

Yeah it's very rare though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noodlzzz
Depends why it's high. For me it was because of meds. Other reasons include thyroid issues or a tumour (not necessarily malignant)

My meds can cause that but I'm such a low dose, but I'll get this checked out as soon as possible.
This has never happened to me but I would suggest you to go to GP to consult issues. :smile:
Original post by BrokenLife
This has never happened to me but I would suggest you to go to GP to consult issues. :smile:

Definitely will, thanks.
My meds can cause that but I'm such a low dose, but I'll get this checked out as soon as possible.

I was on a stupidly small dose of the meds that caused the milk but it still happened.
This has never happened to me, but a medication I'm on resulted in high prolactin when I was on a higher dose which I was told could have resulted in this as a side effect, so it's definitely worth having your bloods done if you're on medication (high prolactin - from what I've told - can also result in more serious things long-term :redface:).

With me, all they did was lower the dose of the current medication, put me onto a higher dose of a different medication which didn't cause high prolactin as a side effect to make up the difference and it was a combination that actually ended up working much better for me, anyway.

Best of luck. :hugs:
(edited 8 years ago)
The medication I'm on causes it too. However, I had an MRI scan and it showed a small tumor on my pituitary gland. Not sure if the tumor is a result of being on the medication for quite a few years, or if it just happened itself.

Anyway, you should tell your doctor. High levels of prolactin can cause things like osteoporosis.
The medication I'm on causes it too. However, I had an MRI scan and it showed a small tumor on my pituitary gland. Not sure if the tumor is a result of being on the medication for quite a few years, or if it just happened itself.

Anyway, you should tell your doctor. High levels of prolactin can cause things like osteoporosis.

Sorry to hear that :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest