The Student Room Group

Getting a scholarship/summer placements or go traveling?

Hello

I cant decide if i should get a scholarship during my time at university as all of the ones ive found require you to do summer placements for years 1 and 2.

This is a problem because i want to do some traveling during this time as when i graduate i want to get straight into my career. The bonus of the scholarship for me would be extra cash while im at university and not needing to think about getting a job when i graduate.

This will come at the expense of having time to enjoy myself though and unwind after a year at university.

Anyone been in this position? if so, what did you do and if anyone would like to put in their thoughts i would appreciate it

Thanks
Original post by nomad992
Hello

I cant decide if i should get a scholarship during my time at university as all of the ones ive found require you to do summer placements for years 1 and 2.

This is a problem because i want to do some traveling during this time as when i graduate i want to get straight into my career. The bonus of the scholarship for me would be extra cash while im at university and not needing to think about getting a job when i graduate.

This will come at the expense of having time to enjoy myself though and unwind after a year at university.

Anyone been in this position? if so, what did you do and if anyone would like to put in their thoughts i would appreciate it

Thanks

If you want to get a job straight after university then you need the work experience. Coming out of uni having just travelled during your holidays won't help you unless you do some work placements abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
If you want to get a job straight after university then you need the work experience. Coming out of uni having just travelled during your holidays won't help you unless you do some work placements abroad.

I will be doing a placement year as part of my degree for relevant experience. Ive also worked in another career for 4 years so I will have experience in a professional working environment, just not in that field.
I will be doing a placement year as part of my degree for relevant experience. Ive also worked in another career for 4 years so I will have experience in a professional working environment, just not in that field.

Ah my apologies, in that case its really down to how much you'll need the money.
Hello

Thanks

I'd go travelling after first year. There's not much you can do at this stage formally, in order to gain experience so you're better off spending your time in a new locale, exploring and living life a bit.

You hands down should not even think about travelling in the summer of your penultimate year; that's when the majority of internships will take place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
I'd go travelling after first year. There's not much you can do at this stage formally, in order to gain experience so you're better off spending your time in a new locale, exploring and living life a bit.

You hands down should not even think about travelling in the summer of your penultimate year; that's when the majority of internships will take place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i hear what youre saying, its just that im going to university a little bit older as i have worked for a few years first and dont want to add an extra year onto the time it will take me to start my new career. I was also under the impression that while having summer internships were great, doing a placement year in industry was going to be more beneficial?
Yeah i hear what youre saying, its just that im going to university a little bit older as i have worked for a few years first and dont want to add an extra year onto the time it will take me to start my new career. I was also under the impression that while having summer internships were great, doing a placement year in industry was going to be more beneficial?

True, but I was more so advocating that you spend your first year summer doing something personally beneficial (travelling) rather than lock yourself into a conveyor belt, so to speak.

Ultimately, a summer internship/placement year should be used as a gateway to a return offer from whichever company you decide to undergo either at. Some industries, (namely IB/Law/Consulting/Accounting etc) rely heavily on prior interns in order to fill their graduate intake classes. I see them as a means to an end.

Although, I can see the argument for the year long placement affording you with a bit more experience in case you don't receive a return offer from that company - which, would come in handy when you apply for graduate schemes in your final year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending