The Student Room Group

OCR S2 sampling. Need some help!

The random variable X has a B(40. 0.3) distribution. The mean of a random sample of n observations of X is denoted by x̄. Find(a) P(x̄≥13) when n is 49,(b) the smallest value of n for which P(x̄≥13)<0.001.
I got answer for part a which is 0.0084. However, I couldn't get answer for part b. Can someone help me? Thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by iceabbey
The random variable X has a B(40. 0.3) distribution. The mean of a random sample of n observations of X is denoted by x̄. Find(a) P(x̄≥13) when n is 49,(b) the smallest value of n for which P(x̄≥13)<0.001.
I got answer for part a which is 0.0084. However, I couldn't get answer for part b. Can someone help me? Thanks a lot.

What was your working out for part (b)? Badically, wherever you used 49 in part (a), use n instead and then work with that inequality. I'll only be able to help if you lay out your working for me.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
What was your working out for part (b)? Badically, wherever you used 49 in part (a), use n instead and then work with that inequality. I'll only be able to help if you lay out your working for me.

Thx a lot. This is my working.
image1.JPG
Reply 3
Thx a lot. This is my working.

I'm not sure why you've done P(Xˉ1312n)0.001P(\bar{X} \geq 13 - \frac{1}{2n}) \leq 0.001?

Remember that you can say XˉN(12,8.4n)\bar{X} \sim N(12, \frac{8.4}{n}), so what's P(Xˉ13)P(\bar{X} \geq 13) in standardised terms?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
I'm not sure why you've done P(Xˉ<1312n)0.001P(\bar{X} < 13 - \frac{1}{2n}) \leq 0.001?

1/2n is the continuity correction.
Reply 5
1/2n is the continuity correction.

But you don't need a continuity correction if you invoke the CLT, do you? At least that's what I've learnt from Edexcel?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
But you don't need a continuity correction if you invoke the CLT, do you? At least that's what I've learnt from Edexcel?

I'm afraid in OCR we have to and that is how I got the right answer in part a. I tried to use 13 instead of 13- 1/2n. However, it did not give me the right answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken

Binomial to normal. In Edexcel S3 we don't deal with explicitly converting discrete distributions to normal ones when using the CLT - at least, I've never seen it done!
I'm afraid in OCR we have to and that is how I got the right answer in part a. I tried to use 13 instead of 13- 1/2n. However, it did not give me the right answer.

P(X>=13) = P(X>=12.5) with cc, no?
Reply 9

Ah, okay. Fair enough. Let's work with the continuity correct then. Are you sure you need to be subtracting 12n\frac{1}{2n} and not just 12\frac{1}{2}?
Reply 10
Original post by tinkerbella~
P(X>=13) = P(X>=12.5) with cc, no?

I don't think so. Because there is a unknown sample size n and will affect the continuity correction.
Reply 11
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Binomial to normal. In Edexcel S3 we don't deal with explicitly converting discrete distributions to normal ones when using the CLT - at least, I've never seen it done!

Well, yes. But you're not really converting the binomial to a normal here, you're saying that XX has a whatever distribution (in this case binomial but we don't need to care) so the sample mean is normally distributed by the CLT. We deal with sample means being normally distributed from not knowing the original distribution at all and we do so without continuity corrections, which is why I figured it wasn't needed here. :dontknow:

Edit to add: some math.stack shows that continuity corrections are needed in certain scenarios and not in others. Apparently depends on the domain of the original distribution, I guess Edexcel just like to play nice with those. Oh well, good learning experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
Ah, okay. Fair enough. Let's work with the continuity correct then. Are you sure you need to be subtracting 12n\frac{1}{2n} and not just 12\frac{1}{2}?

pretty sure about it.
Reply 13
pretty sure about it.

Just looked up some university probability theory notes for this and I'm quite confident that you need only subtract 12\frac{1}{2} and not 12n\frac{1}{2n}. Try it.
Reply 14
Oh, and: Moved to maths.
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
Just looked up some university probability theory notes for this and I'm quite confident that you need only subtract 12\frac{1}{2} and not 12n\frac{1}{2n}. Try it.

The answer I got for that method is 302. the right answer should be 82. btw, I got part a right by using 13-1/2n therefore I don' t think it is 13-1/2.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
Well, yes. But you're not really converting the binomial to a normal here, you're saying that XX has a whatever distribution (in this case binomial but we don't need to care) so the sample mean is normally distributed by the CLT. We deal with sample means being normally distributed from not knowing the original distribution at all and we do so without continuity corrections, which is why I figured it wasn't needed here. :dontknow:

That bit doesn't make sense, you're right about that - as per CLT, the mean of any distribution with a large enough sample size can be modelled by a normal distribution. However, on further research (with no solid evidence as to why), I've found that OCR/CIE does a continuity correction for sample means with an adjustment of 1/(2n). :confused:
Reply 17
The answer I got for that method is 302. the right answer should be 82. btw, I got part a right by using 13-1/2n therefore I don' t think it is 13-1/2.

Oh well, working as to what you say, we have: 1312n128.4n>3.0902\displaystyle \frac{13 - \frac{1}{2n} - 12}{\frac{\sqrt{8.4}}{\sqrt{n}}} > 3.0902

But this gets me an answer around 320-ish again, just like it did when I used the non-continuity corrected version.

Using +1/(2n) (as per Ayman's PDF) gets me another answer around 320 again? :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken

Scroll down to sampling here. Do you believe it's incorrect?
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
I think your issue is doing 1312n13 - \frac{1}{2n} when you should be doing 13+12n13 +\frac{1}{2n}?

Sorry where does the 0.5n come from? I am confused.

Quick Reply

Latest