The Student Room Group

Electric bicycles - any experience, tips or advice?

I'm thinking of buying an electric cycle and although I've done some research I would really appreciate the input from anyone who has experience of buying/riding one.
Many thanks in advance 😎
Loos like your sod out of luck. Try asking the question on a cyclist forum. Bikeridar.com is a popular one, would need to register tho.
Reply 2
Original post by Laomedeia
Loos like your sod out of luck. Try asking the question on a cyclist forum. Bikeridar.com is a popular one, would need to register tho.

Thanks. You never know - maybe all the ebike owners are out on a long ride! 😎
Original post by Drez999
Thanks. You never know - maybe all the ebike owners are out on a long ride! 😎

Or sitting in an equivalent chair.
Original post by Drez999
I'm thinking of buying an electric cycle and although I've done some research I would really appreciate the input from anyone who has experience of buying/riding one.
Many thanks in advance 😎

Anything specific you'd like to know? Might be able to help you out :holmes:
Original post by Laomedeia

You'd get lynched for cheating.
Reply 6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Anything specific you'd like to know? Might be able to help you out :holmes:

Hi Puddles. One thing I'm curious about is if all ebikes move along on their own under power without having to actually pedal? I've seen a few promo videos and some seem to whizz along on their own and other vids show people pedalling at the same time. I wouldn't want to spend more than £1k btw so if you've got any suggestions I would be grateful. Thanks 😎
Original post by Drez999
Hi Puddles. One thing I'm curious about is if all ebikes move along on their own under power without having to actually pedal? I've seen a few promo videos and some seem to whizz along on their own and other vids show people pedalling at the same time. I wouldn't want to spend more than £1k btw so if you've got any suggestions I would be grateful. Thanks 😎

Depends on the bike - there's two types, one with Pedal Assist Systems where there's a sensor which monitors how hard you're pedaling and then controls the amount of power based on how hard you're pedaling. You've got no manual/independent control over the power with this kind.

The other kind is where you have a throttle so you can control the amount of power independently. These face more difficulty in terms of getting legislated :beard:

There's a blog post explaining how they both work here.

A little bird told me that you might struggle to find an e-bike for 1k off the shelf. But apparently you can buy kits which will allow you modify a normal push-bike yourself. Although you do have to be a bit careful because above a certain power they won't be road legal.

Oh yeah, and Endless Sphere is a really helpful e-bike forum.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You'd get lynched for cheating.

Can't be as bad a pinkbike
Reply 9
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Depends on the bike - there's two types, one with Pedal Assist Systems where there's a sensor which monitors how hard you're pedaling and then controls the amount of power based on how hard you're pedaling. You've got no manual/independent control over the power with this kind.

The other kind is where you have a throttle so you can control the amount of power independently. These face more difficulty in terms of getting legislated :beard:

There's a blog post explaining how they both work here.

A little bird told me that you might struggle to find an e-bike for 1k off the shelf. But apparently you can buy kits which will allow you modify a normal push-bike yourself. Although you do have to be a bit careful because above a certain power they won't be road legal.

Oh yeah, and Endless Sphere is a really helpful e-bike forum.

Thanks Puddles.
Having read about the legal position in UK re the type of bike I wanted I've decided to abandon that idea now! Sometimes I wonder how long it will take our Nanny State to outlaw sneezing - if that comes in I'm completely stuffed!
I'm now gonna look into electric mopeds and see where that takes me 😎
Original post by Drez999
Thanks Puddles.
Having read about the legal position in UK re the type of bike I wanted I've decided to abandon that idea now! Sometimes I wonder how long it will take our Nanny State to outlaw sneezing - if that comes in I'm completely stuffed!

You want one with a throttle?

Aye, the legal grey areas are all a bit of a pain :console: You can get them legalised but it takes a fair amount of bureaucracy and hoop jumping. Lots of people get put off by that. Hopefully the EU will catch up and there will be a proper framework.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drez999
Many thanks in advance 😎

I've ridden one, don't own one, but think they are awesome. I'm buying my wife one this summer.

You get on, start pedaling and the bike immediately takes over. It's a weird but cool feeling. You can put in as much or as little effort as you want.

Each bike differs, you would be better off speaking to a local dealer to find the bike that's right for you.
Original post by Drez999
Thanks Puddles.

My ebike has a twist throttle and I've had no problem with legislation but then I bought it years ago. I've got insurance through https://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle/ (mainly because it's an expensive bike - I got it custom built as a folding bike too to take on trains - but it includes 3rd party cover).

The throttle will only go at about 10mph - if I want to go faster I have to pedal :smile: - but it's really good for getting away from the lights or dealing with hills....basically you end up without the effort at slow speeds

If you don't want to worry about the new laws around type approval then buying a second hand ebike would avoid any issues. Add a new battery and most bikes are good as new.
I'm really glad I found this e-bike topic. There is a lot of useful information here that will come in handy when choosing a transport. I found a thematic web resource that contains up-to-date information about modern electric bicycles.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending