The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry

I am in year 11 and I took GCSE chemistry in year 10. I am going to take A-level chemistry but since i haven't done any chemistry for close to a year, I naturally would have forgotten some of the GCSE content. So I'm wondering if it would be worth going over my chemistry notes in preparation for A-level. Would it give me a solid foundation which would help me understand A-level topics better? Or is the GCSE content completely useless when studying A-level? I still remember the large majority of the chemistry content but it is some of the minute detail and more difficult topics that I am unable to recall with ease.
If you did triple science, you might want to take a look at organic chemistry and quantitative chemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by Samii123
I am in year 11 and I took GCSE chemistry in year 10. I am going to take A-level chemistry but since i haven't done any chemistry for close to a year, I naturally would have forgotten some of the GCSE content. So I'm wondering if it would be worth going over my chemistry notes in preparation for A-level. Would it give me a solid foundation which would help me understand A-level topics better? Or is the GCSE content completely useless when studying A-level? I still remember the large majority of the chemistry content but it is some of the minute detail and more difficult topics that I am unable to recall with ease.

GCSE Chemistry is mostly a lie anyway - vastly oversimplified, and really won't be of much help for A-level. You will require the absolute basics like mole calculations, state symbols, how to use the periodic table and such.
To be fair I think I've forgotten everything I learnt from GCSE and I am doing fine.
But seeing as you done it in year 10 its worth looking over though :smile:

I am planning to go over all my GCSE stuff right before my exams for completeness even though it really isn't needed at all, and probably even do a few past papers to see if I have improved at all :colondollar:
Ive just had a look at my GCSE revision guide and I'd say around 51 out of the 75 pages are relevant to A level chemistry, but only on a very basic level. Chemistry is definitely one of the most difficult and demanding A levels and is a huge step up from GCSE so you may struggle if you haven't done chemistry for a year. Also depends if you did triple science - the triple science modules are probably the most relevant to a level chemistry. Honestly wouldn't think you'd need to go over be GCSE content though as you'll find yourself remembering stuff from GCSE as you are learning the new harder a level stuff. Things such as electron configurations, different types of bonding, rate of reactions, alcohols/esters/carboxylic acids etc get a lot more in depth so definitely make sure you understand those. While it might be one of the difficult a levels it's my favourite a level and is very enjoyable and am going on to study it at uni so very wise choice and if you wanna know anything else about the course just let me know :smile:
Reply 5
Hey
Having done both courses myself, I suggest that you go over the GCSE material. There is a lot of information that you will need to remember from 10th grade to understand the A Level chemistry concepts as these minute points are not restated. For ex. the concept of water is a polar covalent compound is used a lot in A Level chemistry but why it is so is not mentioned. The student is expected to know this from their previous years of study.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest