The Student Room Group

White privilege?

Scroll to see replies

I suppose it's more majority/class privilege than 'white' privilege but I wouldn't know because I don't live in the west.

But OP you are being very naive if you think racism in the UK doesn't exist. Minority groups are still discriminated against. There are a few people here on TSR that feel they are superior to people with different skin tones than them. People still face discrimination for the colour of their skin. Whilst it's not as much as it was 50 years ago it's still there. It's the same way lgbts still face oppression today though society has progressed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
ffs, why is it so difficult for you to intellectulise what I am trying to come across. No, I do not want to send you countless of articles because I don't have to do that to justify what i am saying. What i am trying to say that is a lot of people (Not only whites) have this stigma that straight= kept, pressional and Afros are not so it is discrimination... how are you going to tell me that I am not disadvantaged in the UK? You are white so don't speak through a black person's experience. Just like how I am straight so I wouldn't speak throug a gay person's experience.

I'm a white girl with curly hair so do I not have privilege :') wow your logic on this made up hair privilege concept. More seriously I ask because I am white can I not observe black peoples lives and see that they literally do not get treated any different then myself. Also as your logic is something along the lines of you can't possibly know about something unless you've lived it (yer is called communicating with human beings and observation), how do you know there isn't black privilege ' your not a white girl how could you know what it's like for being discriminated for being white'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
Stereotypes do exist for a reason, and they can be used for positive purposes for example crimes can be broken down to be associated with different ethnicities (and the statistics do suggest that some crimes just are more common in certain ethnicities wether this be due to culture [certain crimes being seen as not that bad] or organised crime [often being ethnically based])

I think the colour thing is more just a descriptor, the same as long hair or blue eyes would be. If any big guy was following me I would feel a bit freaked, regardless of colour it's more him being big that's scary. I also think people tend to specific if someone isn't white because due to the % of white people in the population it's likely they are assumed to be white (statistically the guy your speaking about is more likely to be white because a bigger percentage of the population is). It's not that being a colour is a negative thing it's just it's a major factor in what someone looks like (it will help give you an idea of the shape of their facial features as well as just the colour of their skin) - to explain more simply in a eye witness testimony your not gonna miss out the ethnicity of a criminal or in a book you want to know what the character looks like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the descriptor is not necessary in that story as the black guy didn't do anything they just happened to be going the same way. Obviously describing a criminal, it makes sense but in general speech people always point out if someone is Asian (east asian) or black.

Stereotypes exist for a reason due to statistics but those statistics could just not apply to entire groups of people, it would be better if the stereotypes were just way more specific.

I am mixed race and from Africa, so are most of my family but we're generally seen as black or brown instead of mixed race. Most of the stereotypes of black people are unheard of in my country but a stranger would assume other wise.

I've had teachers not let me answer questions on Islam because they assumed I was Muslim and knew already.

There's like 192 countries in the world, just because the few countries that tend to be seen a lot in the media act a certain way which correlates to their skin colour doesn't mean it applies to the rest of us.
how are you going to tell me that I am not disadvantaged in the UK? You are white so don't speak through a black person's experience.

How are you going to tell me that I have "white privilege"? You are black so don't speak through a white person's experience.
Reply 44
White people are too awesome to discriminate against black people. If a white person does discriminate, they are the wrong kind of white person.
Original post by StrawbAri
I suppose it's more majority/class privilege than 'white' privilege but I wouldn't know because I don't live in the west.

But OP you are being very naive if you think racism in the UK doesn't exist. Minority groups are still discriminated against. There are a few people here on TSR that feel they are superior to people with different skin tones than them. People still face discrimination for the colour of their skin. Whilst it's not as much as it was 50 years ago it's still there. It's the same way lgbts still face oppression today though society has progressed.

Oh no racism exists but towards black people probably the same as towards white (British people). The majority of racism in the U.K. is towards those from sub-continental India (due to the who ISIS thing at the moment) and towards Eastern Europeans (because people are scared they are stealing jobs and aren't willing to do anything about it so are just racist). Discrimination however barely exists, it does yes but in very localised remote areas because people of colour are still a fairly new rare thing to them (such as the highlands of Scotland) or in communities that are heavily one ethnicity e.g. In some parts of Bradford being white you will get dirty looks and be avoided walking down the street due to such a low number of white people. But racism to the extent of discrimination and ethic privilege in the uk as a general rule (excluding anomalies) does not exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinasaurus
But the descriptor is not necessary in that story as the black guy didn't do anything they just happened to be going the same way. Obviously describing a criminal, it makes sense but in general speech people always point out if someone is Asian (east asian) or black.

Stereotypes exist for a reason due to statistics but those statistics could just not apply to entire groups of people, it would be better if the stereotypes were just way more specific.

I am mixed race and from Africa, so are most of my family but we're generally seen as black or brown instead of mixed race. Most of the stereotypes of black people are unheard of in my country but a stranger would assume other wise.

I've had teachers not let me answer questions on Islam because they assumed I was Muslim and knew already.

There's like 192 countries in the world, just because the few countries that tend to be seen a lot in the media act a certain way which correlates to their skin colour doesn't mean it applies to the rest of us.

Oh of course but it just makes life easier until you get to know someone. It's a useful social construct (unless it becomes extremely negative like assuming every Indian/Pakistani/ middle eastern looking person is a terrorist). If you hear a person who isn't white tell a story they will refer to one of the people as the 'white guy', it's just you hear 'black guy' and 'Asian guy' more often because there are more white people. But every ethnicity does it and it by no means does anything more then set a scene for the people in the conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a white girl with curly hair so do I not have privilege :':wink: wow your logic on this made up hair privilege concept. More seriously I ask because I am white can I not observe black peoples lives and see that they literally do not get treated any different then myself. Also as your logic is something along the lines of you can't possibly know about something unless you've lived it (yer is called communicating with human beings and observation), how do you know there isn't black privilege ' your not a white girl how could you know what it's like for being discriminated for being white'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure you are actually okay? Or are you just really stupid and find it hard to take in what I am trying to say? I never said anything about white curly hair people not having privilege. -Why did you just suddenly make that up? ran out of things to say? I just said blacks with Afros could face some type of discrimination regardless it from being whites or not. The fact that whites do not have to feel inferior because of their skin tone or hair itself is a privilege hence why it is called "white privilege" but because of your lack of comprehension skills you have failed to understand what I have said and turned this into some racial debate. Get over yourself and stop trying to deny that there are in matter of fact racist whites in the UK. You can observe black lives but please- As a white girl do not speak behalf on mines or any black people's experiences. It doesn't make any sense.
Original post by Greenlaner
How are you going to tell me that I have "white privilege"? You are black so don't speak through a white person's experience.

It is two different things. She is telling me that I have not experinced hair or skin tone discrimination which is clearly stupid to say. I am highlighting white privilege as a whole concept and not through one persons experience. I am not speaking through her experience alone.

...Nice try though. 1/10.
Oh of course but it just makes life easier until you get to know someone. It's a useful social construct (unless it becomes extremely negative like assuming every Indian/Pakistani/ middle eastern looking person is a terrorist). If you hear a person who isn't white tell a story they will refer to one of the people as the 'white guy', it's just you hear 'black guy' and 'Asian guy' more often because there are more white people. But every ethnicity does it and it by no means does anything more then set a scene for the people in the conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My country is quite mixed, I have a side of my family who is entirely white. Most stereotypes tend to be about nationalities rather than skin colour, like East Asian people who were born there would say something about Chinese people even though they are ethnically Chinese for example.
Are you sure you are actually okay? Or are you just really stupid and find it hard to take in what I am trying to say? I never said anything about white curly hair people not having privilege. -Why did you just suddenly make that up? ran out of things to say? I just said blacks with Afros could face some type of discrimination regardless it from being whites or not. The fact that whites do not have to feel inferior because of their skin tone or hair itself is a privilege hence why it is called "white privilege" but because of your lack of comprehension skills you have failed to understand what I have said and turned this into some racial debate. Get over yourself and stop trying to deny that there are in matter of fact racist whites in the UK. You can observe black lives but please- As a white girl do not speak behalf on mines or any black people's experiences. It doesn't make any sense.

Oh God. The irony is just too much. :rofl:
Original post by Greenlaner
Oh God. The irony is just too much. :rofl:

lol do not understand pointing out one concept as a whole and spekaing through MY own experience
I'm actually transracial, I identify as a black Arab

I was actually going to post this :rofl:
I've never come across that term outside of this forum. I think basically the reason blacks do less well is because culturally they gravitate towards a seedy lifestyle; naff clubs, cruising around in silly cars, gang culture, MTV, materialism....there is no institutional discrimination. It is simply because the Dwaynes and the Jamals of this world are not interested in purer academic pursuits. If anything you could argue Affirmative Action in the US is a form of privilege and not really relevent for modern times.

'People discriminate against me as a white girl, that black girl privilege and freedom of speech - I wish I had it. As a white person everything I say is racist but those black girls can say whatever they want and it's socially acceptable. I feel judged for my pale skin day in and day out. You don't know what it's like to feel inferior because of my white skin. And my curly hair, it's just seen as unmessy and employers discriminate against me because of it. As a black girl you can not speak on behalf of a white girl and tell her black privilege doesn't exist.' - that's your entire argument reversed, I hope you see how ridiculous it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
'People discriminate against me as a white girl, that black girl privilege and freedom of speech - I wish I had it. As a white person everything I say is racist but those black girls can say whatever they want and it's socially acceptable. I feel judged for my pale skin day in and day out. You don't know what it's like to feel inferior because of my white skin. And my curly hair, it's just seen as unmessy and employers discriminate against me because of it. As a black girl you can not speak on behalf of a white girl and tell her black privilege doesn't exist.' - that's your entire argument reversed, I hope you see how ridiculous it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao, you just sound as if you haven't got any else to say.
No, that is not what I said reversed.
Bye I am done, you sound so ignorant. No point in arguing with someone that denies racism.
(edited 8 years ago)
LOL I just got a 'reminder about our rules' for my earlier posts because apparently I was insulting and patronsing OP.

This is absolutely ridiculous. If mods actually had the ability to understand a satirical joke, they would realise that I wasn't insulting or patronsing anyone, least not for being an ethnic majority. I was simply TAKING THE PISS out of political correctness and 'social justice warriors' who feel they're able to denounce an argument because of someone being white/ straight etc, and who actually go out of their way to be offended.
lmao, you just sound as if you haven't got any else to say.
No, that is not what I said reversed.
Bye I am done, you sound so ignorant. No point in arguing with someone that denies racism.

I do not deny racism I deny white privilege

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
White privilege does exist. I personally think it is just overemphasised by more radical black people and underemphasised by some white people who are simply oblivious to it. Facts such as the under representation of black women in the beauty industry e.g. models, the disproportionate amount of black people being stopped and searched, driving while black, black people receiving longer sentences for similar crimes all point to a sense of white priviledge. One may argue that black people do commit a disproportionate amount of crime and that can justify my stop and search point, but that still does not give police a right to paint all of us with the same brush (ie criminals) due to the mindless actions of a minority of us.

That being said, I do believe that society in the UK is meritocratic overall. We do not live in a world where you are doomed to remain working class if you are not born white and where all white people are racist. Injustices do exist, but they should not diminish aspirations of the non white community. I am black and I'm doing pretty well (I'm a 1st year medic) so I believe that while white priviledge does still exist its overall influence on society is slowly diminishing.
Original post by Foo.mp3
*Checks privilege*

Spoiler

Tell me how 'white privilege' has detrimentally affected you, dear :curious:

It hasn't at all.

Quick Reply

Latest