The Student Room Group

Do you believe modesty is a form of oppression?

I've been doing my English work all day today( :yawn: ), and the idea of modesty being a form of oppression has come up in my work quite a lot.

Spoiler

So I just want to hear peoples perspective on this :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I've been doing my English work all day today( :yawn: ), and the idea of modesty being a form of oppression has come up in my work quite a lot.

Spoiler

Fair point, but the issue is that the woman on the right has no other choice!

Spoiler

Honestly, for me it's what the person wants to do...If they want to go out and wear form fitting clothes, so be it. If they want to cover their hair, face etc. so be it.
For me as long as the woman has made her own choice, I don't see the problem...
no
Oppression is when people feel compelled to act/dress in a certain way.

It's fine either way as long as you're making your own decisions :yep:
Original post by Bath_Student

Original post by homeland.lsw
Honestly, for me it's what the person wants to do...If they want to go out and wear form fitting clothes, so be it. If they want to cover their hair, face etc. so be it.
For me as long as the woman has made her own choice, I don't see the problem...

I agree, it's about choices.

But how do you feel about the whole idea of "modesty". Do you see it as liberating (which is how many people see it), or not?
Original post by Bath_Student

uh but they do?
Explanation?
Original post by Wingsly
uh but they do?

It depends
Being forced to dress/not allowed to dress a certain way is oppression.

but of course, we need to respect certain country's cultures when visiting them. If it's not acceptable for me to walk around topless in one country, I obviously won't do it and wouldn't see it as being oppressed. But I can't imagine you can offend people for being "too covered" (unless you're wearing a hijab, that just offends the xenophobes tbf)
Original post by Indeterminate
Oppression is when people feel compelled to act/dress in a certain way.

It's fine either way as long as you're making your own decisions :yep:

Okay, could you also answer the other question I asked? :tongue:

"But how do you feel about the whole idea of "modesty". Do you see it as liberating (which is how many people see it), or not?"
If a woman chooses to dress modestly by her own accord, she is not being oppressed.

If a woman is told to dress modestly and has no choice in the matter, she is being oppressed.

My two cents anyway :cute:
But how do you feel about the whole idea of "modesty". Do you see it as liberating (which is how many people see it), or not?

I don't think that either immodesty or modesty is liberating. To me, liberation is being able to wear whatever you want without people opposing it or not caring if they do, whether it's a full-length burka or your birthday suit
only if it's being forced
Reply 14
When the idea of modesty is applied solely to a women's appearance, than yes it is. I've always seen being modest as the opposite of being a egocentric, pretentious show-off. Things that are irrelevant to how the majority of this forum talks about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Absolutely not.
Original post by Lord Samosa
Being forced to dress/not allowed to dress a certain way is oppression.

but of course, we need to respect certain country's cultures when visiting them. If it's not acceptable for me to walk around topless in one country, I obviously won't do it and wouldn't see it as being oppressed. But I can't imagine you can offend people for being "too covered" (unless you're wearing a hijab, that just offends the xenophobes tbf)

If thats true then people are ridiculous.

I agree, you should respect another country cultures when visiting. I don't directly see it as oppression when you're told to cover up to be respectful, I would never go to the temple unless I was completely covered, so it's the same thing. I don't see modesty as oppression, but if it only enforced on women for certain reasons then I can see how that is seen to be oppressive.

But I completely see how modesty can be liberating, just like women can feel sexually liberated here in the west.
Okay, could you also answer the other question I asked? :tongue:

"But how do you feel about the whole idea of "modesty". Do you see it as liberating (which is how many people see it), or not?"

I know you haven't asked me this question but I really just wanted to share my opinion on this one.

The whole idea behind oppression is forcing someone to behave or act in a specific manner. That's oppression. Modesty on its own cannot be classified as oppression since those who dress in a modest way may have chosen to do so without anyone's oppression. Imo whether modesty is liberating or not is in itself oppression as people don't realise the main distinctive features between liberation and oppression.
Original post by sleepyspider
I don't think that either immodesty or modesty is liberating. To me, liberation is being able to wear whatever you want without people opposing it or not caring if they do, whether it's a full-length burka or your birthday suit

I think both can be liberating in their own ways, because of how people feel when dressing that way.

But you're right, liberation is the freedom to wear whatever you please :smile:
Reply 19
If thats true then people are ridiculous.

I agree, you should respect another country cultures when visiting. I don't directly see it as oppression when you're told to cover up to be respectful, I would never go to the temple unless I was completely covered, so it's the same thing. I don't see modesty as oppression, but if it only enforced on women for certain reasons then I can see how that is seen to be oppressive.

But I completely see how modesty can be liberating, just like women can feel sexually liberated here in the west.

Why does it matter whether it's happening in your own country or another? I fail to see how that has any bearing on whether something is oppression or not...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest