The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics (new spec) Praticals?

Hi guys so I’m currently doing AQA new spec AS Physics and I was just wondering how all the practical work as I am confused as to how the practical contribute to my AS grade?

Before reading on, can I emphasise that I strongly plan on dropping physics and keeping the AS grade I get, so the stuff related to A2 doesn’t concern me.

Anyway, so one of my physics teacher told us by the end of the 2 year course we need to have done 12 practical (or 6 in my case) and that we need to record them in our lab book as AQA people will come and assess them to give us marks and stuff.

However another teacher told me that the practical considered a separate qualification. That we only need to do them as in the exam they may ask questions relating to the practical.

So when looking at the AS specification it shows that the grade is given by 2 papers each worth 50% each, so I’m wondering where do these practical come in ? Are the practicals only important for the people who will do the full A2?
(edited 8 years ago)
First you practical work does not contribute in any way to your final grade however they will be in the exam so basically you will have to prepare for them like just like the other materials such as electricity or waves that are in the course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by helpMehRevise
First you practical work does not contribute in any way to your final grade however they will be in the exam so basically you will have to prepare for them like just like the other materials such as electricity or waves that are in the course.

Okay so the actual practicals wont be part of my grade. How will it appear in the exam? Will they ask me for my method and stuff like that? Or are the questions similar?
Original post by GarlicBread01
Okay so the actual practicals wont be part of my grade. How will it appear in the exam? Will they ask me for my method and stuff like that? Or are the questions similar?

Yes there will be Practical Questions in the Exam about 15% of the exams will more or less be practical questions so the more you familiarise with your self about the 6 practicals the more you will hopefully do better!
Original post by helpMehRevise
Yes there will be Practical Questions in the Exam about 15% of the exams will more or less be practical questions so the more you familiarise with your self about the 6 practicals the more you will hopefully do better!

Okay thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest