The Student Room Group

Do you believe modesty is a form of oppression?

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes
Original post by BrokenLife
Haha yeah agreed. That's because we live in a Western society where we have more help given if someone is to oppress us. However, many Muslim countries don't have that, especially Saudi Arabia who have ridiculously sexist and oppressive laws against women!

Yes I'm a Muslim. :smile:

Oh okay, then is it okay if I ask how you feel personally about modesty in your religion? Like wearing the hijab, or going all the way with modesty? :h:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I agree, it's about choices.

But how do you feel about the whole idea of "modesty". Do you see it as liberating (which is how many people see it), or not?

If a woman wears a hijab and is proud to wear it then that's the best. I like it when people love expressing their culture and heritage (as long as they want to) Take Iran for example, it is a law for all women to wear hijab, yet women are trying to get around the laws....

Spoiler

You see, some women being forced are hardly abiding by the laws. They try to express themselves and then get penalised for this.

I want women to dress how they like, modesty is beautiful, but at the same time the body is beautiful as well...
Original post by Serine Soul
It is definitely used for oppressive motives. Modesty itself, as in the idea of covering up simply for the sake of it (no influence of culture or religion etc) does make it sound like there's something shameful about a body if ygm?

I'd say modesty is also pretty subjective. What I see as modest might be seen as provocative to others :dontknow:

Yeah, especially if it's only applicable to women so it doesn't turn the other gender on or whatever, it makes it sound shameful. It also makes men sound like animals...

Yes modesty is subjective, definitely! Skinny jeans could be seen as provocative to some, but modest to others.
Of course, you can ask me! :smile:

Okay, so here's how I see it. I'm personally not very religious myself. I believe that although, there are certain passages of Quran where modesty is implied to men as well but many Asian Muslims use modesty as described in the Quran for women in a very sexist say to oppress women.

Many Muslims force or expect their daughters to wear hijab or abaya when actually if there is no compulsion in religion, then they shouldn't expect or force them.

As far as Islam and modesty is concerned, many religions like to give commandments and many are sexist too. This is what religious ideas are based on imo.

The kind of Muslim I am, I believe in God and that you are accountable to him for your actions and not others. I believe in freedom and live and let others live.

Do whatever you want to basically.

Oh okay, then is it okay if I ask how you feel personally about modesty in your religion? Like wearing the hijab, or going all the way with modesty? :h:
Modesty practiced with moderation nothing too extreme.
If thats true then people are ridiculous.

I agree, you should respect another country cultures when visiting. I don't directly see it as oppression when you're told to cover up to be respectful, I would never go to the temple unless I was completely covered, so it's the same thing. I don't see modesty as oppression, but if it only enforced on women for certain reasons then I can see how that is seen to be oppressive.

But I completely see how modesty can be liberating, just like women can feel sexually liberated here in the west.

My sister and mum dress the same in terms of modesty and clothing. Except my sister wears a hijab, she tends to get the dirty looks. (But you learn to ignore it :h:)

Exactly, if I visited a gurdwara, I'd have no problem covering my hair. It's just being respectful to another's customs.
I guess it depend on the reasoning you're given too. "Cover up so you don't look like a whore" wouldn't be acceptable for example.

It really depends on the individual. Maybe a woman wants to cover up and not feel objectified. Another may want to show her skin and feel liberated. Each to their own.
No, not really. I guess it depends on the context. If the girl is raised to believe her value will go down if she dresses modestly, that's oppression (I think). Some girls like not showing skin.

I could be consider a "modest" dresser. I wear skinny jeans or just regular jeans during school and when I'm going out. The last time I wore a skirt, and shorts was in Middle school a couple of times. I enjoy wearing hoods over my short sleeves, and cardigans. I just don't feel comfortable showing skin, and that's a preference. I even used to wear jeans during spring during my middle school years and earlier high school years. Some people just don't liking showing skin.
I've been doing my English work all day today( :yawn: ), and the idea of modesty being a form of oppression has come up in my work quite a lot.

Spoiler

So I just want to hear peoples perspective on this :smile:

Not really, i have the choice of their being not modest or modest, and i chose the latter simply because i chose to because of a variety of reasons, not because i was oppressed. but it varies in different cultures and countries as im sure you know
I've been doing my English work all day today( :yawn: ), and the idea of modesty being a form of oppression has come up in my work quite a lot.

Spoiler

Muslims cover their women because of their genetic high libido. Omg how could you be so ignorant!
Original post by DinduCoffin
Muslims cover their women because of their genetic high libido. Omg how could you be so ignorant!

:colonhash::colonhash:
Original post by Lord Samosa
My sister and mum dress the same in terms of modesty and clothing. Except my sister wears a hijab, she tends to get the dirty looks. (But you learn to ignore it :h:)

What, WHY?

Spoiler

What's wrong with you?
Original post by Jay to the mill
What's wrong with you?

Lol what??
Lol what??

I am a Hijabi and have never felt oppressed wearing the hijab, if anything I feel liberated in a hijab I do it for my rabb.:angry:

What religion are you?
I am a Hijabi and have never felt oppressed wearing the hijab, if anything I feel liberated in a hijab I do it for my rabb.:angry:

What religion are you?

:colonhash: You haven't read any of my other posts have you? :colonhash:

I said it was liberating! :colonhash:
:colonhash: You haven't read any of my other posts have you? :colonhash:

I said it was liberating! :colonhash:

Oh right:tongue:, yeah I am actually a part time Hijabi part time Hooters waitress, because exposing my two juggernauts pays my bills.

A sisters got to do what a sisters got to do.:dontknow:
What, WHY?

No idea, maybe they just view it negatively :dontknow: it's not too bad though, there's never been any verbal abuse or anything, so its fine I guess :lol:
@hxfsxh thank you for the like sister.:cry2:

We sisters need to stick together in the dunya, you feel me?
@hxfsxh thank you for the like sister.:cry2:

We sisters need to stick together in the dunya, you feel me?

Stop killing my thread! :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest