The Student Room Group

Wish upon A*...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ara8311a
Ah now I understand what PD means,. :smile: Maybe I should have read the thread a bit more carefully!
Duo lingo is fun. I found that it was hard to get to the level of French that I needed, :smile:

I've actually neglected my Duolingo for quite a few months, so all the progress bars have gone down. It takes so much time to build them up again!
Original post by glassriver
I've actually neglected my Duolingo for quite a few months, so all the progress bars have gone down. It takes so much time to build them up again!

I've not been on there for ages. Maybe I should though if the progress goes down!
Reply 22
I've not been on there for ages. Maybe I should though if the progress goes down!

They've changed the skill tree since I last went on, now they've got some additional skills and some things are in a different order. Nearly all of my French skills have fallen to 1 bar - I'd better get some practice in!
Reply 23
Thursday 25.02.16

days until first exam: 68
days until PD hand-in: 15
niceness of my sandwich: 100

Today is a kind of motivated day, I think. By the end of it, I hope to have done a short Latin translation that my teacher gave me earlier this week along. I also want to think of some arguments and counter-arguments for my English orals (!!!) which are coming up soon (18th of March?) and do a bit of French vocab learning on Duolingo! I'm not very up-to-date on it though... have to get through 'Le chat est noir' again. Oh well.

I'm trying to improve on the cornet - still a bit rubbish though. Got a training weekend with cadets so I might not have much time to play - Sunday afternoon perhaps? I'm probably going to have to make time to revise though!
Thursday 25.02.16

days until first exam: 68
days until PD hand-in: 15
niceness of my sandwich: 100

Today is a kind of motivated day, I think. By the end of it, I hope to have done a short Latin translation that my teacher gave me earlier this week along. I also want to think of some arguments and counter-arguments for my English orals (!!!) which are coming up soon (18th of March?) and do a bit of French vocab learning on Duolingo! I'm not very up-to-date on it though... have to get through 'Le chat est noir' again. Oh well.

I'm trying to improve on the cornet - still a bit rubbish though. Got a training weekend with cadets so I might not have much time to play - Sunday afternoon perhaps? I'm probably going to have to make time to revise though!

The cornet? That sounds interesting. How long have you been playing it for and what motivated you to try it out?
Reply 25
The cornet? That sounds interesting. How long have you been playing it for and what motivated you to try it out?

Well, I used to play violin and piano but that petered out when I came to secondary school so decided to try something else and the cornet made a pretty noise (obviously not when I first tried it out though.) I'm only a beginner but think I'm improving!
Reply 26
Wednesday 02.03.16

days until first exam: 62
days until PD hand-in: 9
panic mode: 96

Came back from the training weekend tired, blistered and late, so not much revision got done.

Being reminded how soon my PD has to be handed in is scary and I'm not sure what to do except really sort it out this weekend before the next-Friday deadline. I have a lesson tomorrow but I'm in a semi-stressed position still. Tomorrow I'm going to try to start 3D-printing my final pieces. I know it's late to be finishing off the actual product and I should have done it before but I haven't so I'm a bit stuck now to be honest. I'm also worried that I didn't design enough possibles for the initial ideas section so I think I'll draw some more out and colour them as best I can. Thinking '2 months until my first exam' is also quite stressful, and on top of that my English language orals are a fortnight on Friday!

I really thought I'd gotten my stuff together as well - planned some past papers to do and printed them out. I'm currently sitting in front of a past B1 (biology) paper and trying to learn the carbon cycle so that's something that'll be good for the future, even though it might seem a bit of a waste at the moment. I've already done a C1 (chemistry) paper and have a physics one, a German one and a French one lined up as well as a physical geography paper (yay).

I'm also going to try to mind-map the development topic in geography ready for my test on Friday on a piece of A3, if I have time. It took quite a while for the population topic so if it takes longer than normal for the past papers, I might just do practice questions instead.

Ordinarily I would be going to learn cornet today, but as it takes up so much of the evening, it's getting skipped today. I know this doesn't fit in with my original 'revise with fun stuff too' philosophy but I guess at the moment there are other things I have to put above learning the cornet. Including going to cadets, I spend 3 evenings out of 5 school nights without the extra revision time, so I'm considering stopping with one of the evenings. It's a hard decision though
Reply 27
Haha love the name of this thread! It's awesome! And woah, your predicted grades are amazing (ALL A*S), hopefully you get those grades! I also have a GYG blog, which you can check out if you want to... I talk about how I stay motivated and my revision tips :smile:
(http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3902507)
Reply 28
Original post by khatx
Haha love the name of this thread! It's awesome! And woah, your predicted grades are amazing (ALL A*S), hopefully you get those grades! I also have a GYG blog, which you can check out if you want to... I talk about how I stay motivated and my revision tips :smile:
(http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3902507)

Wow, you must be really organised! The condensing method also works well for me and your tips are great. Maybe you should write a book about revision techniques :smile:
Reply 29
Friday 04.03.16

days until first exam: 60
days until PD hand-in: 7
so hungry, have not had dinner yet/10: 9.5

Had my geography test on development - revised by condensing all my case studies and looking through all of my class notes. I think it went OK but I nearly ran out of time so I either need to write faster or plan faster! We're onto our final geography topic now, which means we should be finished on time.

7 days until my PD hand-in date... what will I do? Work over the weekend, it seems. My product itself hasn't actually been assembled and I STILL have stuff going on the 3D printer. When I set off one of my pieces at about lunchtime today it kept not working and the plastic trail out of the moving nozzle kept stopping so I hope it'll be okay when I go to pick it up on Monday. If the 3D printer has broken down I'm pretty much dead and will have to use my working model parts to put it together. They won't look as good but hopefully they'll pass muster. I still have lots of folder-based work to do (probably got about 25ish pages left to go out of the ones I have planned) so cracking on is required!

My Latin grammar is actually horrific, I realise this every time we do an unseen translation text. I frequently get similar words (e.g. cogito, cognosco, cogo) mixed up and other vocabulary (e.g. connectives) is also rubbish. This means I'll have to start learning the vocab again - will use Quizlet as it seemed to work last time I tried learning them. I'm also going to look into nouns and adjective forms because this is something I'm tripping up on from time to time, as well as different verbs that we've learnt more recently.

All I want to do right now is watch catch-up TV and eat the chocolate croissant that I saw in the kitchen earlier but I have work to do and I can smell noodles and it's going to be OK.
Reply 30
Wow, you must be really organised! The condensing method also works well for me and your tips are great. Maybe you should write a book about revision techniques :smile:

Oh wow, thank you! And I should, shouldn't I? :biggrin: I can impart my revision wisdom on many others, but for the time being, I'll just share them on this site haha.
Reply 31
Original post by khatx
Oh wow, thank you! And I should, shouldn't I? :biggrin: I can impart my revision wisdom on many others, but for the time being, I'll just share them on this site haha.

Thanks for that :smile: I think a lot of us are benefiting from it.
Reply 32
Saturday 12.03.16

days until first exam: 52
relief: 25

I haven't updated this since last week since I've been busy finishing off my Product Design coursework. It got handed in on Friday and I've got to say I'm so relieved. It took up so much time and I was so worried but my product has been handed in, as has my portfolio, so that's over and done with.

Next Friday I will have my English orals and there's a French controlled assessment Tuesday week so it's time to prepare for those instead. I've also been doing some past papers since I want to start with revision properly, so I did a maths paper, a Latin paper and a German one yesterday and I have 2 physics ones and a French one lined up already, besides others.

Onwards and upwards!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Tuesday 15.03.16

days until first exam: 49
days until english orals: 3
procrastination: maybe later

We have poetry which we're finishing going over for English. Trouble is, I didn't make any good notes in year 10 on the poems we did then so I don't really have anything to revise from, so I will have to write some notes on those at some point (maybe today). The English orals are pretty close now so I'm going to do a rough write-up of what I basically want to say and then try to learn that. I did a practice run with someone in my class and tried to do it spontaneously (because I didn't know what to say) and it was terrible, so drafting is probably the way to go at the moment.

I think there's something wrong with the way I'm going over past papers as well (maybe it's my spreadsheet which I've got to list the ones I've done) but I've come across the GCSE Latin unseen paper about Claudius going to heaven twice. I did that paper as one of my mocks as well so I'm really confused as to why I keep printing it out. Past papers for papers 3 and 4 are mainly about texts that I haven't studied so I can't really do them, so I'm stuck with the 1s and 2s.

I tried doing some past UKMT Olympiad questions in maths (Y9 level lol because I'm feeble at maths) and realised that I have a serious problem with not reading questions. After looking at a question for a really long time and being completely stumped by it, someone suggested I read the question, and I realised that I'd been trying to prove the wrong thing all along. Clearly I have amazing skills at it since it's something that I've been able to transfer to all subjects. Maybe I need to start underlining things?
Haha, funny title. :biggrin: Good luck, hope you get A*** in everything!
Reply 35
Original post by Egirl127
Haha, funny title. :biggrin: Good luck, hope you get A*** in everything!

Thank you so much! :h:
I love your attitude - the thread title, sense of humour in the posts. You sound awesome
Reply 37
Original post by Student403
I love your attitude - the thread title, sense of humour in the posts. You sound awesome

:cry2: Awww <3
Reply 39
Wednesday 16.03.16

days until first exam: 48
days until english orals: 2
new faith in self: 304

Cornet today and it's quite late so this will be short.

I have a French CA next week on Monday, which I thought was on Tuesday but isn't. This means I'm in a bit of a mess and have to do a LOT of work over the weekend, mainly frantically writing French and saying it over and over again in a French-ish accent. Someone in my class told me that my French accent makes me sound like a suspicious 50-year-old. But she said it was a French suspicious 50-year-old, so that's good enough for me.

I have English on Friday, argh! I've heard that the teacher who I'm going to do my orals with will making things really difficult to me, but I can ask them if I can do it again if I mess up the first time round. I want to get it right in one (mainly because I'm tired of the stress over it) but we'll see what happens with that.

I'm so tired right now. Can't wait for the weekend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending