The Student Room Group

Article: Students told us the truth about sex...and here are the results!

Students are renowned for being horny. But is this just a stereotype or are students really engaging in copious amounts of unprotected sex?

Recently, we asked you to tell us the truth about students and sex.

After surveying 1,200 students, we found out what's really going on under the sheets...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=22289-Students-told-us-the-truth-and-sex-and-here-are-the-results!

Scroll to see replies

There are window periods and so for example you're not clear for HIV if you have had sex in the last 3 months.

Also, what do you mean 50% have never bought a condom? Do you literally mean buying them? Why would students buy them when they can get them for free easily elsewhere? And you don't need both partners to have them for safe sex. It's a question that didn't really give you the evidence you're trying to get.

And the opening question was odd. Are you suggesting that being horny means having unprotected sex? You can be horny and have protected sex. You can be horny and not have sex.
I'd like to know how many students who haven't bought condoms are lesbians. Or virgins. Did you enquire about sexuality on the survey? And even in heterosexual couples only one person needs to buy the condoms, so 50% of people not buying them works out pretty well.
I just found that you said 53% of students surveyed have never gone tested. I can safely assume not 100% of the surveyed have actually had sex and so what does this figure really say?
Original post by mscaffrey
I'd like to know how many students who haven't bought condoms are lesbians. Or virgins. Did you enquire about sexuality on the survey? And even in heterosexual couples only one person needs to buy the condoms, so 50% of people not buying them works out pretty well.

Good call. Also keep in mind some of these who have never bought any might have gotten them for free. The figure practically means nothing.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
There are window periods and so for example you're not clear for HIV if you have had sex in the last 3 months.

Modern HIV blood tests are valid after a month,

Also, what do you mean 50% have never bought a condom? Do you literally mean buying them?

That's what I interpreted the question as meaning.

Also, what do you mean 50% have never bought a condom? Do you literally mean buying them? Why would students buy them when they can get them for free easily elsewhere? And you don't need both partners to have them for safe sex. It's a question that didn't really give you the evidence you're trying to get.

And the opening question was odd. Are you suggesting that being horny means having unprotected sex? You can be horny and have protected sex. You can be horny and not have sex.

That's ~90% of the male users of TSR.
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
Asking TSR people whether they have ever bought condoms is ridiculous.

Most people here are socially r******* virgins and the few who are not, are probably using a more long term method such as the pill or the contraceptive implant.

I think you'll find we're socially advanced virgins.

And even socially awkward people have sex. Have you seen how many sex threads there are on this site? And they're not all about one man and his hand.
Reply 8
I buy condoms online.
Original post by unprinted
That's what I interpreted the question as meaning.

Then it really doesn't mean what the author thinks it means. It basically mean nothing at all.
I did try and raise some of the issues as soon as I saw the questions, but...
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
Asking TSR people whether they have ever bought condoms is ridiculous.

Most people here are socially retarded virgins and the few who are not, are probably using a more long term method such as the pill or the contraceptive implant.

Not sure why you'd think this.
Without the full data, this information is pretty useless. There are plenty of virgins and lesbians on this website, all of whom would have never bought condoms. In my experience most straight women do not buy condoms either, they expect men to have them given that they are used by men.

Equally, virgins will not have been tested for STIs...
And if someone responded with only having slept with 1 person, their partner, who they know is STI-free, then they would not need to get tested either.

Always a risk of pregnancy? Don't think so given the number of gay/lesbian people there are. Not to mention people who are infertile.
50% haven't brought condoms....not surprising surely? For a start only one condom is needed when two people are having sex and a lot of women expect the bloke to have one, they may have some themselves, but not always. So lets say men are mostly buying condoms...which is logical tbh, you've reduced the percentage, then you have the guys who either get them free, too shortsighted to bother, are having unprotected sex by choice and finally are having no sex. So out of all that 50% doesn't act like some shocking figure.

Same with not getting tested, if you're having protected sex at all times and have no symptoms, although it would be wise to be tested at some point, it's not surprising most don't. Then there's those who aren't promiscuous and so only have sex in longer term relationships where one assumes testing wouldn't be needed (again it might be best to, but doesn't happen) and again there's those who haven't had sex.

Then was sex ed in school lacking? Yes? Well no ****.

So....fail poll fails.
Original post by joey11223
50% haven't brought condoms....not surprising surely? For a start only one condom is needed when two people are having sex and a lot of women expect the bloke to have one, they may have some themselves, but not always. So lets say men are mostly buying condoms...which is logical tbh, you've reduced the percentage, then you have the guys who either get them free, too shortsighted to bother, are having unprotected sex by choice and finally are having no sex. So out of all that 50% doesn't act like some shocking figure.

Indeed.

In fact, 50% probably is a very, very good result.

My poll done in the past showed that around 50% of TSR users are virgins. Assuming TSR has a 50-50 gender balance, this mean there could be a lot of people who actually bought a condom without having the need to. Not to mention the amount of people who get them for free.
I just found that you said 53% of students surveyed have never gone tested. I can safely assume not 100% of the surveyed have actually had sex and so what does this figure really say?

Probably also worth thinking that if you have protected sex then you probably don't need a blood test either. And like they said in the article, if you both know you can't have an STI (e.g. both virgins) do you really need a test?
Though actually having protected sex doesn't necessarily mean you're 100% protected. In fact, some STIs are 100% not protected by condoms or anything else. And of course there's the thing that most people won't use a condom in oral sex and some would opt for a pill, which would protect you only against, still not 100%, pregnancy.

You can still get an STI ever if you're both virgins - STIs could've been transmitted from birth or from having injections, for example. And then there's the thing that people may lie to you about being a virgin.

But to some people, indeed, testing is not usually necessary especially when they may go for a body check every once in a while (which may include STI testing that I guess people wouldn't disclose here).

This article would work a lot better without using these meaningless numbers, though it'd still be pretty crap.

True. Condoms can always get small tears which you don't recognize afterwards, and I think i once read the safety label where they said they were only 90% effective as a barrier. Better than 0% i guess.

From birth is an interesting point. I know in women that chlamydia can appear non-symptomatic, or no visible symptoms, while it slowly causes infertility. I'm sure a few others have similar effects under the right circumstances (well, the wrong circumstances in the end)

But the point still stands. Statistics, when obtained and quoted, should usually be very specific, otherwise, like you did, they can be picked apart easily to show that actually they don't represent anything meaningful. They may have asked only sexually active people and just misquoted, or they asked regardless of that and quoted as such.
Reply 17
If you buy condoms, you're doing it wrong. I haven't needed to get any in a while tho cus I am very single lol.
Original post by QuentinM
True. Condoms can always get small tears which you don't recognize afterwards, and I think i once read the safety label where they said they were only 90% effective as a barrier. Better than 0% i guess.

From birth is an interesting point. I know in women that chlamydia can appear non-symptomatic, or no visible symptoms, while it slowly causes infertility. I'm sure a few others have similar effects under the right circumstances (well, the wrong circumstances in the end)

But the point still stands. Statistics, when obtained and quoted, should usually be very specific, otherwise, like you did, they can be picked apart easily to show that actually they don't represent anything meaningful. They may have asked only sexually active people and just misquoted, or they asked regardless of that and quoted as such.

It's higher than 90%, but it depends on the item, ie whether it's about pregnancy or an STI, and which one.

Many STIs can go without symptoms.

They asked everyone. You can go and check their actual survey. They even said it didn't matter whether you're sexually active or not.

Original post by Tom78
If you buy condoms, you're doing it wrong. I haven't needed to get any in a while tho cus I am very single lol.

You'll need to start buying them once you get older.
Reply 19
It's higher than 90%, but it depends on the item, ie whether it's about pregnancy or an STI, and which one.

Many STIs can go without symptoms.

They asked everyone. You can go and check their actual survey. They even said it didn't matter whether you're sexually active or not.

You'll need to start buying them once you get older.

Just go to the gum clinic. I went to boots I think.

Quick Reply

Latest