The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS Enthalpy Change Question Help!!

Could anyone please give me some guidance on answering these CH1 questions please? Thank you so much :smile:

When ethanol burns in air, it produces oxygen and water.
C2H5OH+3O2-->2CO2+3H2O

1. Use the enthalpy change standard values below to calculate the standard enthalpy change for the combustion of ethanol.
C2H5OH = -278
CO2 = -394
H2O = -286
O2 = 0

2. The standard combustion enthalpy change for octane C8H18 is -5512kjmol-1.
By using this value and your answer to question 1, show that octane gives more energy for every gram of fuel burned than ethanol.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
Could anyone please give me some guidance on answering these CH1 questions please? Thank you so much :smile:

When ethanol burns in air, it produces oxygen and water.
C2H5OH+3O2-->2CO2+3H2O

1. Use the enthalpy change standard values below to calculate the standard enthalpy change for the combustion of ethanol.
C2H5OH = -278
CO2 = -394
H2O = -286
O2 = 0

2. The standard combustion enthalpy change for octane C8H18 is -5512kjmol-1.
By using this value and your answer to question 1, show that octane gives more energy for every gram of fuel burned than ethanol.

Are those enthalpy of formation values you are given? You have to construct a Hess cycle, or use the formula 'sum of products - sum of reactants'.
Original post by EricPiphany
Are those enthalpy of formation values you are given? You have to construct a Hess cycle, or use the formula 'sum of products - sum of reactants'.

Yes they are enthalpy of formation values, thank you! Could you tell me roughly how to do Q2 please? Thanks :smile:
Yes they are enthalpy of formation values, thank you! Could you tell me roughly how to do Q2 please? Thanks :smile:

Start by calculating how many moles of octane there is in a gram, using the molar mass. Do the same for ethanol.
If you need help with that I'll go into more detail.

is the answer for part a 1368?
Original post by rumana101

Combustion, so it has to be exothermic :wink:
Original post by rumana101

I got -958 :s-smilie:
Products - reactants
(-394)+(286) - 278
= -680 - 278 = -958kj ???
I got -958 :s-smilie:
Products - reactants
(-394)+(286) - 278
= -680 - 278 = -958kj ???

Multiply each by the balancing numbers in the equation.
For each mole of ethanol, two mole of carbon dioxide and three mole of water are formed.
Also be careful with the signs of the enthalpy changes.
3(-286)+2(-394)-(-278)
(edited 8 years ago)
Start by calculating how many moles of octane there is in a gram, using the molar mass. Do the same for ethanol.

Thanks, I'll try it :wink:

So to find the number of moles of octane in a gram do I divide 1 gram with the molar mass (114)?
(I got something like 0.0087719... so I think that this is probably wrong :s-smilie:)
So to find the number of moles of octane in a gram do I divide 1 gram with the molar mass (114)?
(I got something like 0.0087719... so I think that this is probably wrong :s-smilie:)

That is correct. That is the moles of octane in one gram. Multiplying this by the energy released per mole (kJ per mole) gives us the energy released (kJ) for octane (for each gram). This is what we need to compare with the kJ per gram for ethanol.
(edited 8 years ago)
That is correct. That is the moles of octane in one gram. Multiplying this by the energy released per mole (kJ per mole) gives us the energy released (kJ) for octane (for each gram). This is what we need to compare with the kJ per gram for ethanol.

Does -48.35 for octane and -29.7391 for ethanol seem right? (octane- I multiplied 0.008771 by -5512 = -48.35)
Does -48.35 for octane and -29.7391 for ethanol seem right? (octane- I multiplied 0.008771 by -5512 = -48.35)

Yes, looks right. So octane releases more energy per gram. :smile:
Reply 13

Yeah I got that when I went through it ! ^-^ :smile:
Yes, looks right. So octane releases more energy per gram. :smile:

Thank you :smile:
image.jpg

Here is how I worked it out. Made notes in red to help you understand! 1 is -1398 and 2 is octane more exothermic by 18kJg-1
Original post by RME11
image.jpg

Here is how I worked it out. Made notes in red to help you understand! 1 is -1398 and 2 is octane more exothermic by 18kJg-1

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 17
Thank you so much! :smile:

Hey, Could you please go through how you got 2C+ 3H2 + 2O2
Original post by yorobun
Hey, Could you please go through how you got 2C+ 3H2 + 2O2

That's the intermediate - the constituent elements of each of the reactants in their standard form. This is where the value of enthalpy of formation comes from by definition.
Reply 19
Original post by RME11
That's the intermediate - the constituent elements of each of the reactants in their standard form. This is where the value of enthalpy of formation comes from by definition.

Thankyou! i remember my teacher saying it doesn't matter if you cant do it but I just saw a question on forming the cycle :s-smilie: so I will have to talk to him tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest