The Student Room Group

Aiming for 90ums+

Just out of interest, is 2 months enough to achieve 90UMS+ in AS (for the sciences in particular)?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

To get those kinda marks, you've gotta learn everything... make sure you're consolidating notes on whatever you're unclear on as well as doing past papers. I'd say balance between the two - there's no point making notes on stuff you're going to remember anyway, but past papers aren't going to work if there's stuff you still need to learn :3
Original post by RoughER
Thanks for the response.
In your opinion do you still think there is sufficient time to do all this?

I'd say so, yeah :yep: 2 months is plenty of time.
More than enough if you start now.
AS levels are very easy.
Reply 4
Original post by RoughER
I'm hoping to achieve 90UMS+ in my AS level, given the time left is it more important to finish off notes for chapters still yet to be taught or just focus solely on past papers?
Just out of interest, is 2 months enough to achieve 90UMS+ in AS (for the sciences in particular)?

The reformed A levels and AS levels don't have UMS - I know that's not what you asked but you may want to know.
Original post by RoughER
Hi,

I'm hoping to achieve 90UMS+ in my AS level, given the time left is it more important to finish off notes for chapters still yet to be taught or just focus solely on past papers?

Thanks

Learn all of the content in great detail first, do papers once you have the content down just to refine your technique
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
The reformed A levels and AS levels don't have UMS - I know that's not what you asked but you may want to know.

Has this actually been confirmed? Our exam's officer says they haven't heard anything as of yet.
Reply 7
Original post by samb1234
Learn all of the content in great detail first, do papers once you have the content down just to refine your technique

Does it matter how late I leave the past papers till?
Original post by jamestg
Has this actually been confirmed? Our exam's officer says they haven't heard anything as of yet.

Wait no UMS? Argh this new system is so bloody pathetic! I hope we still have UMS points

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Wait no UMS? Argh this new system is so bloody pathetic! I hope we still have UMS points

Posted from TSR Mobile

In some ways it's good...
Reply 10
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/?a=10132 ouch
Reply 11
From my experience, you should print out every past paper and start NOW. If you get every past paper done there is no reason for you to get under 90 UMS. I started past papers in May, and I still managed over 80 UMS in quite a few modules got nearly full marks in some. Didn't perform as I should have because it took me too long to find my study technique. If you start now that shouldn't be a problem.

So it hasn't been finalised but theyre also saying theres no point in UMS points. But I don't understand how they'll grade then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
In some ways it's good...

How?

Posted from TSR Mobile

- less pressure as you can afford to scrape grades if applying to unis which look at UMS.

- you can get complacent with UMS, yeah you got 90/100 but did you really get that score? You could have gotten 40/75 mark wise, and as these A-levels are linear you will be revisiting content you thought you had got to the standard required when in actual fact there are multiple holes in what you know.
Original post by RoughER
Does it matter how late I leave the past papers till?

Well ideally you would want to give yourself enough time to do a decent number of papers fir each module, but if it was a choice between properly knowing the content or papers i would go for content every time. I probably started papers about 2-3 weeks after easter and got over 90 average
Reply 16
Original post by jamestg
- less pressure as you can afford to scrape grades if applying to unis which look at UMS.

- you can get complacent with UMS, yeah you got 90/100 but did you really get that score? You could have gotten 40/75 mark wise, and as these A-levels are linear you will be revisiting content you thought you had got to the standard required when in actual fact there are multiple holes in what you know.

If Cambridge don't have UMS to look at, then how do they distinguish between candidates?
Original post by RoughER
If Cambridge don't have UMS to look at, then how do they distinguish between candidates?

Entrance exams I guess
Original post by jamestg
Entrance exams I guess

Presumably more emphasis will also get put on the interviews, but tbh although UMS is not going to be present anymore it is likely that there will still be some kind of mark from your AS exams that essentially does a similar thing
Original post by RoughER

I think they're also bringing new entrance exams as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest