The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Soft penalty but I'm not complaining.

Why do we find it so hard to get a result against Palace?

As somebody on BBC Sport said, calling something a "soft penalty" is just admitting it's a penalty. Soft or not, lucky or not, if it's a penalty I don't see how people can argue over it.

In any case, this weekend has been a tale of 10 men sides doing things you wouldn't expect. Perhaps we didn't deserve it but at this stage of the season it's all about the result.

United down to 10 men and could well lose this (if they don't follow the trend of the weekend). If they lose we can go level with our game in hand.
Hats off to Emre Can and Dejan Lovren. Two match-winners today.

Also, fair play Christian Benteke. Much-maligned but he's won us points on his own this season. It was a dive, but the balls to take a penalty like that in the final minute are undeniable.

Got to feel for Palace. They deserved to be out of sight by half time and must be thinking their poor run won't ever end. Mignolet kept us in it and performed really well first half.

Flanagan and Moreno had a tough assignment. Palace like playing with pace and width, and while Flanno denied Adebayor, I thought they both struggled.

Lovren was great, aside from playing right back, and Can carried the midfield because Milner struggled and Henderson's game was obviously hindered by that early yellow.

Three league wins in a row. Roll on Thursday.

Lallana started well but faded and looks a little jaded. Not sure i'd start him in the week.
Can't wait for Thursday.

My first proper week off work since I started in November and we're playing European football against United for the first time.

We're on great form, at home against a United side who have performed poor of late (although still got the results).
LVG has a weird ability to make United play well in the big games. Klopp has a similar ability with us so it'll be an interesting contest.

They've beaten us twice in the league. Please don't let them knock us out of Europe too...
Wouldn't say it was a penalty. It's one of those that you only think it's a penalty if it goes in your favour, as beautifully demonstrated by Carragher.
Delighted we got that monkey off our back and beat Palace regardless of how. In some ways, a little more impressive that we did it back from 1-0 down and with 10 men!
First time ever we've come from behind to win in the PL with 10 men.
Really glad to get the win because that was absolutely essential. Yeah we were lucky and maybe didn't deserve it but we deserve a little luck like United have been getting.

Really need to build on this and produce a win on Thursday. We're clearly better than United and would roll them over if we turned up, but we're just so inconsistent that I'm worried we'll bottle it.

I can't see us winning at OT so if we don't win on Thursday, I'm not gonna be holding too much optimism for the 2nd leg. The good thing is that we barely used Coutinho so him and Sturridge should be fit to start. We'll really need to keep an eye on Memphis and Martial because those are the two players United have that can create a chance out of nothing.
Original post by Lúcio
Really glad to get the win because that was absolutely essential. Yeah we were lucky and maybe didn't deserve it but we deserve a little luck like United have been getting.

Really need to build on this and produce a win on Thursday. We're clearly better than United and would roll them over if we turned up, but we're just so inconsistent that I'm worried we'll bottle it.

I can't see us winning at OT so if we don't win on Thursday, I'm not gonna be holding too much optimism for the 2nd leg. The good thing is that we barely used Coutinho so him and Sturridge should be fit to start. We'll really need to keep an eye on Memphis and Martial because those are the two players United have that can create a chance out of nothing.

Funny to see us win with 10 men but Man Utd to lose with 10 men :biggrin:

Guess we don't have to worry about the league for another 2 weeks now. Really looking forward to Thursday now. Anyone managed to get tickets to the game?
Original post by Zerforax
Anyone managed to get tickets to the game?

Indeed :biggrin:

Presumably Mackay is going as well (we're both on ACS).
(edited 8 years ago)

Very very jealous. Should be a great atmosphere.
Original post by Lúcio
As somebody on BBC Sport said, calling something a "soft penalty" is just admitting it's a penalty. Soft or not, lucky or not, if it's a penalty I don't see how people can argue over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poverty logic. All "penalty" means in that context is it was literally a penalty, it was given, not that it actually deserved to be a penalty.
Original post by difeo
Posted from TSR Mobile

Poverty logic. All "penalty" means in that context is it was literally a penalty, it was given, not that it actually deserved to be a penalty.

Reported for making me cry :frown:

Well that depends how you see it.
A penalty is a penalty if the referee gives it. A challenge deserving of a penalty may not be given and vica-versa.

In this context - in this modern game - it was a penalty. It's sad that the most minimal of contacts results in a penalty kick nowadays but that is just how the game has transitioned.

From a rival fan perspective, I can agree it must be very annoying to see us win a game in that manner. However knowing how the rules are today, you can't argue against the fact that it was a "foul" and therefore a penalty. You can call us lucky (because we were) but the decision was not incorrect.
I can call you lucky for winning in the Watford game but I cannot say that an incorrect decision gave you the win.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Reported for making me cry :frown:

Well that depends how you see it.
A penalty is a penalty if the referee gives it. A challenge deserving of a penalty may not be given and vica-versa.

In this context - in this modern game - it was a penalty. It's sad that the most minimal of contacts results in a penalty kick nowadays but that is just how the game has transitioned.

From a rival fan perspective, I can agree it must be very annoying to see us win a game in that manner. However knowing how the rules are today, you can't argue against the fact that it was a "foul" and therefore a penalty. You can call us lucky (because we were) but the decision was not incorrect.
I can call you lucky for winning in the Watford game but I cannot say that an incorrect decision gave you the win.

Hadn't even seen the incident, I was arguing the logic rather than whether it was actually a pen.
Just watched it though and it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by difeo
Hadn't even seen the incident, I was arguing the logic rather than whether it was actually a pen.
Just watched it though and it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally don't even know what your argument is. My logic was that arguing something is a "soft" penalty makes no sense because you're just admitting it was a penalty. The way I see it is bitter people trying to argue about something they can't logically disagree with.

A foul is a foul whether it's a crunching slide or a tiny nudge. Yeah the contact wasn't huge but in today's game that's all that is needed.

Sure am, mate. Can't wait!
Original post by Lúcio
I literally don't even know what your argument is. My logic was that arguing something is a "soft" penalty makes no sense because you're just admitting it was a penalty. The way I see it is bitter people trying to argue about something they can't logically disagree with.

A foul is a foul whether it's a crunching slide or a tiny nudge. Yeah the contact wasn't huge but in today's game that's all that is needed.

My point is they're not admitting it was (as in deservedly was) a penalty, they're just saying a penalty was given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Balotelli running out of time to impress at Milan. He was poor against Sassuolo, according to reports, despite scoring in midweek the game previously.

He and Bacca have barely played together, and it showed.

Doubt they'll be making his loan move permanent. Hopefully somebody takes a point on him.
Original post by difeo
My point is they're not admitting it was (as in deservedly was) a penalty, they're just saying a penalty was given.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm, I see your point but it's a little ambiguous.
A lot of people say "soft penalty" to mean minimal contact or something that perhaps wouldn't have been given in an earlier generation.

If I didn't agree something was a penalty, I wouldn't call it "soft", I'd call it unjust or a poor decision.
Original post by Mackay
Balotelli running out of time to impress at Milan. He was poor against Sassuolo, according to reports, despite scoring in midweek the game previously.

He and Bacca have barely played together, and it showed.

Doubt they'll be making his loan move permanent. Hopefully somebody takes a point on him.

Quite a few papers reported at the time that he'd signed a 3 year contract with us. If that's the case, he'll only have a year left in the summer so perhaps we can sell him for a cut-price fee? We should try to offload at the start of the summer otherwise we'll just get loads of Italian clubs offering to take him on loan for the final year of his contract and then he's off on a free.

Maybe that's Mario's plan anyway? Could still get a hefty sign-on bonus for joining on a free..
Original post by Zerforax
Quite a few papers reported at the time that he'd signed a 3 year contract with us. If that's the case, he'll only have a year left in the summer so perhaps we can sell him for a cut-price fee? We should try to offload at the start of the summer otherwise we'll just get loads of Italian clubs offering to take him on loan for the final year of his contract and then he's off on a free.

Maybe that's Mario's plan anyway? Could still get a hefty sign-on bonus for joining on a free..

A report on the Milan defeat this weekend: "If the lack of cohesion was understandable, given the two players’ scant experience of playing together, then Balotelli’s indifferent body language and failure to impose himself on his own terms were harder to justify. He did not touch the ball once in Sassuolo’s penalty area, and was subbed off in the 55th minute."

Oh, Mario.

What are you doing?

Latest