The Student Room Group

Islander Appreciation Society (British and Japanese welcome)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jay to the mill
I would love to visit Seychelles one day, I heard the views are more stunning than Mauritius?

Those are two islands I'd love to visit, Seychelles and Reunion.:tongue:

But I heard in La Reunion they speak more French?

Yeah I speak Creole, it took me time to speak fluently but I got the hang of it eventually.:biggrin:

Do you speak fluent Creole? I think the people in Seychelles are more Multi-Cultural, but I am not sure.:dontknow:

Yeah I think Seychelles is pretty multicultural, I am like part European/African/Indian and possibly Arab to name what I know and I have a cousin who's like half Chinese (the chinese side isn't related to me though). I claim to speak fluent Creole, I mean I understand most things and can read it but I can't write it and my grandparents will sometimes make fun of my accent.
Original post by Zacken
#IslandPower

Even though you guys are from Mauritius and not Seychelles, I'm so happy to see some other Indian Ocean islanders online. I was beginning to think I was the only Islander who has ever used the internet.
Reply 22
Original post by Dinasaurus
Even though you guys are from Mauritius and not Seychelles, I'm so happy to see some other Indian Ocean islanders online. I was beginning to think I was the only Islander who has ever used the internet.

I share your sentiments profoundly. :redface:
I'm from Mauritius! Curepipe specifically!
Yeah I think Seychelles is pretty multicultural, I am like part European/African/Indian and possibly Arab to name what I know and I have a cousin who's like half Chinese (the chinese side isn't related to me though). I claim to speak fluent Creole, I mean I understand most things and can read it but I can't write it and my grandparents will sometimes make fun of my accent.

Oh so you speak Creole, Qe position, tou biens?

And that's an interesting mix.

I am half Arab/Indian, so people instantly know I am not Mauritien when they see me, but my some of my mums family originate from Mauritius in Port Louis in a place called Plaine Verte, so I try to visit now and again.

It's so cool, I have a funny accent as well.:biggrin:

Do you go back often?
Reply 25
Original post by yoda123
I'm from Mauritius! Curepipe specifically!

More of us?! This is awesome. :biggrin:
Oh so you speak Creole, Qe position, tou biens?

And that's an interesting mix.

I am half Arab/Indian, so people instantly know I am not Mauritien when they see me, but my some of my mums family originate from Mauritius in Port Louis in a place called Plaine Verte, so I try to visit now and again.

It's so cool, I have a funny accent as well.:biggrin:

Do you go back often?

Mauritian creole must be written differently from Seychellois Creole because we don't have Qs in the language, I don't want to guess as to what that means to not embarrass myself.

I would've thought Mauritius would be really mixed like Seychelles but I guess not.

It's funny though because my cousin in Seychelles goes to an international school where they only learn English and not Creole (bit odd) but their English sounds more American. When I visited and spoke with my English accent, her and her friends were super envious of it.

Last time I went back was 2013, I might go back this year but not confirmed yet. I really want to go back, life is extremely different compared to the UK, it is almost like time stops whilst I'm there. I think I'd rather live in the UK long term though, I'm too invested into the culture.
Mo kozer creole lakaz tou les zour mais mon oublier beaucoup mot akoz mo ti vin langleterre kan mo ti ena 6 ans. Mo pas comprends dialog mauricien avec mo pa kapav danser sega :tongue:
Reply 28
Mauritian creole must be written differently from Seychellois Creole because we don't have Qs in the language, I don't want to guess as to what that means to not embarrass myself.

He meant to say "ki", we don't really have q's either.

Would you happen to know the name of the school? It might be my old school or it could be the competitor one.
Original post by yoda123
Mo kozer creole lakaz tou les zour mais mon oublier beaucoup mot akoz mo ti vin langleterre kan mo ti ena 6 ans. Mo pas comprends dialog mauricien avec mo pa kapav danser sega :tongue:

They have sega in mauritius as well damn! Same, I came to England when I was 6 as well.
Reply 30
They have sega in mauritius as well damn! Same, I came to England when I was 6 as well.

Yeaaah! Sega is the national dance!! :tongue:
Original post by Zacken

Would you happen to know the name of the school? It might be my old school or it could be the competitor one.

http://iss.sc/

Seychelles only has 3 non-state schools with really generic names, International School, Independent School and L'ecole Francais.
Reply 32
http://iss.sc/

Seychelles only has 3 non-state schools with really generic names, International School, Independent School and L'ecole Francais.

:favepalm: nevermind, I thought you meant international school in Mauritius, my bad :colondollar:
Original post by Zacken
:favepalm: nevermind, I thought you meant international school in Mauritius, my bad :colondollar:

I was wondering but I thought maybe you meant as if the International School had separate branches in different countries.

I would've thought Mauritius would be really mixed like Seychelles but I guess not.

It's funny though because my cousin in Seychelles goes to an international school where they only learn English and not Creole (bit odd) but their English sounds more American. When I visited and spoke with my English accent, her and her friends were super envious of it.

Last time I went back was 2013, I might go back this year but not confirmed yet. I really want to go back, life is extremely different compared to the UK, it is almost like time stops whilst I'm there. I think I'd rather live in the UK long term though, I'm too invested into the culture.

Yeah probably but I've never spoken Creole to someone from Seychelles before, so it might be different.
I am just asking how are you?

Yeah it's mixed in some parts, like in in Cure-Pipe is full of Nations(Africans), but in the capital it's full of lascars(Asians).:tongue:

In Mauritius everyone speaks to me in French, it's only when I start conversing in Creole that they instantly change to Creole. But the educational system is a lot more disciplined and firm than the UK.

Yeah I'll returning back soon, I think I am more adjusted to the UK than the culture of Mauritius, plus theres a lot of barriers since we don't have the same interests.

Anyway I need to get some sleep it's almost 5 o'clock in the morning over here.:ciao:
Original post by Zacken

Fam it don't matter man still gets the point.:hand:
Yeah probably but I've never spoken Creole to someone from Seychelles before, so it might be different.

Yeah it's mixed in some parts, like in in Cure-Pipe is full of Nations(Africans), but in the capital it's full of lascars(Asians).:tongue:

In Mauritius everyone speaks to me in French, it's only when I start conversing in Creole that they instantly change to Creole. But the educational system is a lot more disciplined and firm than the UK.

Yeah I'll returning back soon, I think I am more adjusted to the UK than the culture of Mauritius, plus theres a lot of barriers since we don't have the same interests.

Anyway I need to get some sleep it's almost 5 o'clock in the morning over here.:ciao:

Oh, is ki position like slang? Yeah I can see how that would mean that come to think of it.

Good night
Reply 37

Just by the way, don't call a stranger nation or lascar (it actually means muslim) because they're fairly deragatory! :tongue:

It's so late here I know I should sleep as well :rofl:
Bonjour salut
Original post by interact
Bonjour salut

Are you Mauritian as well? Nvm....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending