The Student Room Group

AS French AQA Speaking Exam - Help!

So I'm nearing my speaking exam date soon, and I'm beginning to panic. I'm doing the course mostly independently (only one hour a week one on one with my teacher) and while I'm doing pretty well on the written papers, I'm finding it difficult having a sustained spontaneous conversation. While on the first two topics which I plan for, I can just about hold my own, it all seems to fall to pieces when I have to wing it. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve in time for the speaking exam? Anything will help!
Original post by LordStark
So I'm nearing my speaking exam date soon, and I'm beginning to panic. I'm doing the course mostly independently (only one hour a week one on one with my teacher) and while I'm doing pretty well on the written papers, I'm finding it difficult having a sustained spontaneous conversation. While on the first two topics which I plan for, I can just about hold my own, it all seems to fall to pieces when I have to wing it. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve in time for the speaking exam? Anything will help!

Here's a tip that might work for you - if you're at school at lunchtimes, get together with other students doing AS or A level French and have a rule that you will chat in French for the duration of the meal. If you can get 15 minutes like that four or five times a week, that should help you all build your confidence and fluency.
Original post by Anna Schoon
Here's a tip that might work for you - if you're at school at lunchtimes, get together with other students doing AS or A level French and have a rule that you will chat in French for the duration of the meal. If you can get 15 minutes like that four or five times a week, that should help you all build your confidence and fluency.

You could also listen to native speakers with videos and podcasts and read more in French to immerse yourself in the language. Look online for material you're interested in and dive into that.
Reply 3
Speak as much french as you can especially on the topics you are studying by having people ask you questions that are focused on your topics. This will help with your confidence :smile:
If you have a pet, even if it's just a goldfish, practice speaking on one random topic (e.g, your music tastes or your views on the uses of advertising) with them; I find it's better than speaking to yourself even if it does sound a bit odd.

You can also try making up or asking your teacher to write a list of questions for each topic. Record yourself asking each of them separately on your phone/computer, then randomly play one to yourself and answer it. It can help a bit with spontaneity. You can always record your answers too and ask your teacher to mark them if accuracy is also an issue :h:

And finally (sorry for the essay) if gathering your thoughts and ideas is a problem, make mind maps on every topic and subtopic we study before attempting any of the above. Gathering ideas beforehand is really useful if that's the reason you can't be as spontaneous as you'd like in your speaking.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Thank you for the tips guys, I'll be sure to take them on board :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending