The Student Room Group

How hard is History?

Hello,

I'm in middle of choosing my AS/ A-level and i wanted to know :
How hard is history?
Is it interesting?
Is it more of theory?
i haven't done any gcse history so is that gonna affect me if i take it?
My board is EDEXCEL !
I like writing and memorising theories.
It's an essay subject so if your not very good at writing essays or analysing things in an essay then you will find it hard, History is a very interesting (at least I think so), what do you mean by theory? You have to memorise dates and facts obviously but you need to be able to use these to form an argument in an essay -- not sure if thats what you mean?
What other options are you planning on choosing?
Original post by Hanna423
x

Nothing is hard. Apart from avoiding death.
If you work hard then it will be a piece of cake, if not then may god bless you.
Reply 3
Original post by Wingsly
It's an essay subject so if your not very good at writing essays or analysing things in an essay then you will find it hard, History is a very interesting (at least I think so), what do you mean by theory? You have to memorise dates and facts obviously but you need to be able to use these to form an argument in an essay -- not sure if thats what you mean?
What other options are you planning on choosing?

I'm good in writing essays and analysing things, Oh yeah that's what i meant lol
My other options are Psychology, Maths and biology.
Well i actually wanted to do Law with business or natural science at Uni
Original post by Hanna423
I'm good in writing essays and analysing things, Oh yeah that's what i meant lol
My other options are Psychology, Maths and biology.
Well i actually wanted to do Law with business or natural science at Uni

sounds like history should be relatively straightforward for you then :smile:, obviously that doesn't mean its easy, but i doubt you will struggle with it
It's like everything - it's as difficult as you make it aside from how difficult your teachers make it for you. I personally don't find it hard as long as you get your head down, hit the books, and study early.
Reply 6
There's a lot of extra reading you need to be willing to put in the effort to do, I do the Edexcel board for history, and it's one of the main differences between A-levels and GCSE's. If you have already got some analytical and evaluative skills, then it shouldn't matter if you haven't done history at GCSE, as you learn the information throughout the course, so you wouldn't be missing anything

Quick Reply

Latest