The Student Room Group

Best degree for IB?

What is the best degree for investment banking? My A level choices are: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.

Thanks.
Preferably gender or media studies - those grads are notoriously known to fill all the spring weeks and summer interships for FO roles

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP. I'll tell you this: forget maths, forget top unis. Go become a stripper.

Once you've made enough money, you can probably co-invest in a sophisticated hedge fund that deals with pizza to burger arbitrage strategies. It's the only way to make money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
OP. I'll tell you this: forget maths, forget top unis. Go become a stripper.

Once you've made enough money, you can probably co-invest in a sophisticated hedge fund that deals with pizza to burger arbitrage strategies. It's the only way to make money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although one can assume there might be some tomato sauce liquidity risks associated with making all that dough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Metrododo
Although one can assume there might be some tomato sauce liquidity risks associated with making all that dough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh of course! You'd have to hedge against any tomato sauce liquidity risks with dual payoff mozeralla-cheddar swaptions. Can't forget those.
Original post by theconfusedman
What is the best degree for investment banking? My A level choices are: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.

Thanks.

Do anything thats reasonable, maths or physics for example :smile:
Don't listen to the Princepieman, I don't know whether he woke up on the wrong side of the bed or attempting to be a comedian.
Original post by Metrododo
Preferably gender or media studies - those grads are notoriously known to fill all the spring weeks and summer interships for FO roles

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd go for a PhD in contemporary women's studies personally.
Original post by Lelouch's Geass
Do anything thats reasonable, maths or physics for example :smile:
Don't listen to the Princepieman, I don't know whether he woke up on the wrong side of the bed or attempting to be a comedian.

It's very serious business here.. I don't think you're cut out for my alternative food strategies hedge fund :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's very serious business here.. I don't think you're cut out for my alternative food strategies hedge fund :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think you understand the context im speaking in, as well as the fact that the business you are on about is merely fantasized.
But hey, who gives a f*** about your hedge fund :h:
Original post by theconfusedman

Thanks.

But seriously OP, do whatever you like (within reason - no football studies pls) but make sure to get the best grades possible this year. Aim to get into one of the targets (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Imperial) or semi-targets (Notts, Durham, Bristol, Bath, Cass B-School etc).

In terms of importance:
Uni attended > Uni course

If you want to do something quantitative (i.e. exotic derivatives, algo trading) I'd stick to the Mathsy courses: Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering etc

Otherwise, whatever tickles your fancy. Could be History, Econ, Finance, Psychology, Languages - any old, traditional uni subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Now that is a post :smile: well done
But seriously OP, do whatever you like (within reason - no football studies pls) but make sure to get the best grades possible this year. Aim to get into one of the targets (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Imperial) or semi-targets (Notts, Durham, Bristol, Bath, Cass B-School etc).

In terms of importance:

If you want to do something quantitative (i.e. exotic derivatives, algo trading) I'd stick to the Mathsy courses: Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering etc

Otherwise, whatever tickles your fancy. Could be History, Econ, Finance, Psychology, Languages - any old, traditional uni subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
I'm not the guy whose question you just answered but I was wondering whether a joint honours maths and economics/economics and statistics degree would be fine if I wanted to go into exotic derivatives trading. Or should I do a more quantitative degree like pure maths? Personally, I would enjoy doing maths and econ more but I'm worried about whether IBs won't look favourably towards it.
Original post by Ladbants
Hi,
I'm not the guy whose question you just answered but I was wondering whether a joint honours maths and economics/economics and statistics degree would be fine if I wanted to go into exotic derivatives trading. Or should I do a more quantitative degree like pure maths? Personally, I would enjoy doing maths and econ more but I'm worried about whether IBs won't look favourably towards it.

Sounds fine to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hedge Fondues are the new thing on the street

In terms of importance:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome thanks, im thinking of maths or economics

Quick Reply

Latest