The Student Room Group

Myth-Busting Mondays: Which STIs are curable?

Poll

Which STIs are curable?

Welcome to Myth-Busting Mondays, which aims to beat stereotypes and provoke discussion on perhaps often overlooked topics.

Many people know how STIs are transmitted and prevented (if
you don't and want to find out more, or think you may have an STI, take a look at the NHS website for STIs), but do you know which STIs are curable?

Do you think there is enough awareness of STIs and whether they are treatable or curable? If not, what do you think could be done about this?
If antibiotic resistance keeps up soon none of them will be curable :eek3:

Well.. mainly gonorrhea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_resistance_in_gonorrhea
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

That's a really scary thought :indiff:

To be honest, before researching it, I wasn't completely sure which were curable and which weren't, and I study a healthcare course so should know better!
Original post by BurstingBubbles
That's a really scary thought :indiff:

To be honest, before researching it, I wasn't completely sure which were curable and which weren't, and I study a healthcare course so should know better!

Some of it's a bit confusing. I said genital warts weren't curable because there's no cure for HPV I don't think, but you can get them treated :dontknow:
Some of it's a bit confusing. I said genital warts weren't curable because there's no cure for HPV I don't think, but you can get them treated :dontknow:

Yeah, I used the word "curable" for not being able to get rid of it. All of them are treatable, i.e to help the symptoms reduce or slow down in progression, but not all of them are curable!
Hahah this quiz was tough! Will you be sharing the results later? :tongue:
Original post by Queen Cersei
Hahah this quiz was tough! Will you be sharing the results later? :tongue:

Yep, I will do tomorrow :smile: It's interesting seeing the results of the poll so far :beard:
chlamydia or gonorrhea can leave you infertile (can't remember which), are they still classed as curable if they leave you like this, although you can get rid of symptoms?
Original post by chickenfoot
chlamydia or gonorrhea can leave you infertile (can't remember which), are they still classed as curable if they leave you like this, although you can get rid of symptoms?

The poll is based on catching it early and whether it is therefore curable (i.e to get rid of it) :smile:
Reply 9
I always wonder why there's so much stigma surrounding STIs. I think it's really counter-productive because it makes people afraid to speak to a doctor, and afraid to warn previous partners.

At the end of the day, we all have something down there, and all of them, by their nature and what we do with them, are susceptible to infections.

Take herpes - if you had a cold sore on your face, or if you tend to get cold sores, even though this is herpes, you wouldn't mind telling people. But try telling people (even friends) that you have genital herpes!!

It seems kind of unfair and damaging
Lol at people that think herpes & HIV are curable.

They're gonna be in for a nasty surprise.
Some interesting poll results :holmes:

So the answer, according to the NHS choices STIs page, is that HIV and genital herpes are not curable. There is also an argument that genital warts are not curable as they are able to reappear at any time. All the other STIs are curable, if caught early enough, but as mentioned above if left they can lead to incurable symptoms such as becoming infertile. So, if in doubt, get yourself checked at the GP, walk in centre, or GUM clinic - click here to find which clinic is nearest to you.

Thanks for taking part!
Reply 12

Well.. mainly gonorrhea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_resistance_in_gonorrhea

I remember when I first heard about antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea - I would say it's primarily it's down to the fact that patients are not following the guidelines to medication. If it's followed how it should be, the disease should clear up and so should any of the symptoms (if any). If properly eradicated, then whatever curable STI/STD you have will not survive and evolve to grow resistant to the treatment.

FOLLOW THE TREATMENT WHEN AND HOW YOU SHOULD!

Quick Reply

Latest