The Student Room Group

Peninsula foundation school advice

Hello :hi:

I've just been allocated to peninsula for F1/2 and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice about where to go?! All I know is that I would like to end up in Torbay for both years if possible but haven't been able to find out much about the pros/cons of the other hospitals/locations.

Any advice would be very appreciated! xx
Hi vanilla caramel. Welcome to Peninsula! It is a great place to be. I studied here and now work here, so know a bit.

Exeter: Royal Devon and Exeter is a very good large DGH/teaching hospital, well supported as an F1 in a hospital with a lot going on. Pros- university city, close to motorway, base of medical school, varied range of placements, hospital well thought of in community. Cons- some rotations are very stressful as an F1, relatively expensive rent and hospital accommodation is not great.

Torbay: South Devon District Hospital is again a good DGH and well supported. Pros- close to pleasant countryside and beaches, few rotations have night shifts for F1s, hospital again well thought of in community, hospital accommodation is good. Cons- no night shifts but twilights which can be just as stressful and tiring, Torquay is a bit naff and unfortunately quite run down, may need a car to get around easily.

Barnstaple: North Devon District Hospital is a small DGH with not many F1s but most F1s I know love it there. Pros- close to pleasant countryside and beaches but also Tiverton Parkway station(!), good hospital overall. Cons- can be very busy for juniors (but on the other hand lots of opportunity to get stuck in), not much to do in Barnstaple, probably need a car to get around easily.

Plymouth: Derriford Hospital is a massive behemoth of a tertiary hospital, so lots of opportunity and good training. Pros-near a big uni city, range of specialities not seen elsewhere (trauma centre and does cardiothoracic and neurosurgery). Cons- very busy, hospital isn't quite in centre of Plymouth, Plymouth is a bit run down, perhaps not so much of a friendly atmosphere as other hospitals in the region.

Truro: Treliske is a large DGH in a small city with quite a few F1s. Pros- beautiful location, very friendly hospital, range of rotations, near many beaches. Cons- hospital has financial problems (but not sure that impacts on F1s much), probably need a car to get around easily.

You may have to move trusts between F1 and F2 so do look at the available rotations carefully. Remember F1 is pretty much the same wherever you are. But what I would say is than when things get tough, you are well supported in Peninsula, and you will enjoy it overall!
Reply 2
Yay! Go to Torbay! My sister in law was in Torbay for both years of foundation and had a great time, would recommend. She also didnt have a hugely competitive ranking so I'm sure you've got a great chance :smile:

Strange to hear Torquay described as 'shabby', but the hospital itself is actually in a very nice part of town in Shiphay. Top tip: save yourself the trouble and don't ever go on a night out in Torquay. Unless you want to be vommed on by out of control hen parties in Venue.

Would also strongly recommend the RD&E in Exter, it's a lovely hospital and a great city. I am not so much a fan of Plymouth as a city as it's a bit big, doesn't have as nice of a town centre as Exeter, with the cathedral, canals, nice old buildings etc.
Original post by alicexelizabeth
Hi vanilla caramel. Welcome to Peninsula! It is a great place to be. I studied here and now work here, so know a bit.

Exeter: Royal Devon and Exeter is a very good large DGH/teaching hospital, well supported as an F1 in a hospital with a lot going on. Pros- university city, close to motorway, base of medical school, varied range of placements, hospital well thought of in community. Cons- some rotations are very stressful as an F1, relatively expensive rent and hospital accommodation is not great.

Torbay: South Devon District Hospital is again a good DGH and well supported. Pros- close to pleasant countryside and beaches, few rotations have night shifts for F1s, hospital again well thought of in community, hospital accommodation is good. Cons- no night shifts but twilights which can be just as stressful and tiring, Torquay is a bit naff and unfortunately quite run down, may need a car to get around easily.

Barnstaple: North Devon District Hospital is a small DGH with not many F1s but most F1s I know love it there. Pros- close to pleasant countryside and beaches but also Tiverton Parkway station(!), good hospital overall. Cons- can be very busy for juniors (but on the other hand lots of opportunity to get stuck in), not much to do in Barnstaple, probably need a car to get around easily.

Plymouth: Derriford Hospital is a massive behemoth of a tertiary hospital, so lots of opportunity and good training. Pros-near a big uni city, range of specialities not seen elsewhere (trauma centre and does cardiothoracic and neurosurgery). Cons- very busy, hospital isn't quite in centre of Plymouth, Plymouth is a bit run down, perhaps not so much of a friendly atmosphere as other hospitals in the region.

Truro: Treliske is a large DGH in a small city with quite a few F1s. Pros- beautiful location, very friendly hospital, range of rotations, near many beaches. Cons- hospital has financial problems (but not sure that impacts on F1s much), probably need a car to get around easily.

You may have to move trusts between F1 and F2 so do look at the available rotations carefully. Remember F1 is pretty much the same wherever you are. But what I would say is than when things get tough, you are well supported in Peninsula, and you will enjoy it overall!

Ah lovely! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such useful advice! Xx
Original post by Ghotay
Yay! Go to Torbay! My sister in law was in Torbay for both years of foundation and had a great time, would recommend. She also didnt have a hugely competitive ranking so I'm sure you've got a great chance :smile:

Strange to hear Torquay described as 'shabby', but the hospital itself is actually in a very nice part of town in Shiphay. Top tip: save yourself the trouble and don't ever go on a night out in Torquay. Unless you want to be vommed on by out of control hen parties in Venue.

Would also strongly recommend the RD&E in Exter, it's a lovely hospital and a great city. I am not so much a fan of Plymouth as a city as it's a bit big, doesn't have as nice of a town centre as Exeter, with the cathedral, canals, nice old buildings etc.

Thank you for your reply :smile: what a relief it is to hear that Torquay isn't too competitive. I might have to ignore your advice about nights out though.. I'm guessing it's a rite of passage when starting F1 there :tongue: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending