The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neuronerd
Havent had an offer yet! Just sorting my student loan ( you can change the uni after applying)

Do you have a link for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
Do you have a link for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its just the normal student finance page. Type it in on google and its the top hit (on my phone so cant link)
Original post by neuronerd
Its just the normal student finance page. Type it in on google and its the top hit (on my phone so cant link)

No that's fine thanks. Just didn't know if there was a specific link for a gem page

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
No that's fine thanks. Just didn't know if there was a specific link for a gem page

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just apply as normal, when you select the course the fees change
Original post by Foaly09
As someone who is aiming for GEM and are working on applying for an undergraduate course, is there any advice you guys can give?

Be realistic!

The competition for each GEM place is far more intense than for any of the 5 year courses. And you are up against high achieving people who will all have stonker levels of work experience and are confident at interview - some are practising dentists or have years of other relevant clinical professional experience. So, yes - be realistic about the competition and your chances.
Reply 5005
Original post by returnmigrant
Be realistic!

The competition for each GEM place is far more intense than for any of the 5 year courses. And you are up against high achieving people who will all have stonker levels of work experience and are confident at interview - some are practising dentists or have years of other relevant clinical professional experience. So, yes - be realistic about the competition and your chances.

Whilst I think your advice isn't too far wrong, I do think the competition is blown out of proportion. O
If you meet the cut off for gamsat/ukcat (the hardest part I feel) as long as you do 'sufficient' interview/selection day prep, you'll get a place. Without blowing my own trumpet, I've just gone through my first cycle of applications and got 3 offers. Very doable people, don't be put off 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5006
Original post by B1525
Whilst I think your advice isn't too far wrong, I do think the competition is blown out of proportion. O
If you meet the cut off for gamsat/ukcat (the hardest part I feel) as long as you do 'sufficient' interview/selection day prep, you'll get a place. Without blowing my own trumpet, I've just gone through my first cycle of applications and got 3 offers. Very doable people, don't be put off 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. There are so many different things that can make you stand out. I have 2 offers from my first cycle too and I wouldn't say I'm anything special! Don't let competition put you off just give it your best shot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^
well done on your offers. Where have you been accepted?
thanks
On being realistic...

I have poor A-levels (BCC) Bio, Chem and ICT. I am on pace on getting 2:1 and can get a 1:1 (currently on second year).
I have been a SJA volunteer for a year (85 Hours for the first year), a lung-function ward volunteer since December 2015 (3-4 hours a week), currently scheduled to shadow doctors in a hospital for atleast a week and looking for for a HCA job (VERY challenging). If I am being realistic, are these work experience sufficient enough for my 2017-entry application?

Very scared about the coming application, but everyone here is so supportive and I can't thank you guys enough. Such a positive and encouraging thread. Hope I get to where most of you offer holders are, Congratulations!
Original post by aspiringmedic123
On being realistic...

I have poor A-levels (BCC) Bio, Chem and ICT. I am on pace on getting 2:1 and can get a 1:1 (currently on second year).
I have been a SJA volunteer for a year (85 Hours for the first year), a lung-function ward volunteer since December 2015 (3-4 hours a week), currently scheduled to shadow doctors in a hospital for atleast a week and looking for for a HCA job (VERY challenging). If I am being realistic, are these work experience sufficient enough for my 2017-entry application?

Very scared about the coming application, but everyone here is so supportive and I can't thank you guys enough. Such a positive and encouraging thread. Hope I get to where most of you offer holders are, Congratulations!

That sort of background will be fine for Warwick :smile: Good luck! Focus on getting that 2:1 and preparing for any admissions tests -- they're the single biggest factor in getting an interview.
Reply 5010
On being realistic...

Mate I don't have any a-levels. Don't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJK91
That sort of background will be fine for Warwick :smile: Good luck! Focus on getting that 2:1 and preparing for any admissions tests -- they're the single biggest factor in getting an interview.

Thanks! Are you a Warwick offer holder? How was your application? :biggrin:

Original post by B1525
Mate I don't have any a-levels. Don't worry about it

Thanks I'll try not worry till the admissions tests get here D:
Thanks! Are you a Warwick offer holder? How was your application? :biggrin:

I'm a current student (1st year) but had 3 rejections. Shite A-levels and missed out on the UKCAT cut-off for 2 years :P So work hard for the UKCAT!
Reply 5013
Has anyone heard from St. George's? I think the last date for (graduate) interviews was 26 February so am wondering when we should expect to hear one way or the other.... Thanks!
Original post by dj263
Has anyone heard from St. George's? I think the last date for (graduate) interviews was 26 February so am wondering when we should expect to hear one way or the other.... Thanks!

No I haven't heard yet... I'm wondering how long it will be too, last year they heard a week after the last interview date but it seems to be taking longer this year...
I had my interview on 25th. The dude said then "we have a meeting in 2.5 weeks and you will hear after that, so about 3 weeks from now". Though it wasn't explicit, my assumption was that they would be agreeing on all the offers in said meeting, so everyone would hear around the same time.

So I reckon we're looking at 2nd half of next week. More than happy to be proved wrong though!
Reply 5016
Oh my goodness, I was told it would be much earlier than that (I had my interview the first week). I guess I should stop constantly refreshing my emails then ...
Original post by rosalita
I had my interview on 25th. The dude said then "we have a meeting in 2.5 weeks and you will hear after that, so about 3 weeks from now". Though it wasn't explicit, my assumption was that they would be agreeing on all the offers in said meeting, so everyone would hear around the same time.

So I reckon we're looking at 2nd half of next week. More than happy to be proved wrong though!

I think you're right, thanks for the update!
For those who had SGUL interviews, they ask you to bring 'all original examination certificates' which to me means, A-levels, GCSE's and additional extra curricular's (which I did bring) but in hindsight I didn't bring my degree certificate.... Has this screwed me or will they get in contact if they want it?
Original post by Cuts92
For those who had SGUL interviews, they ask you to bring 'all original examination certificates' which to me means, A-levels, GCSE's and additional extra curricular's (which I did bring) but in hindsight I didn't bring my degree certificate.... Has this screwed me or will they get in contact if they want it?

I'm surprised they didn't mention it on the day! Not everyone has their degree certificates, as some applicants may still be in their 2nd year, so it won't have screwed you! Best thing to do is just ring the admissions and see what they want rather than waiting for them to contact you!

Quick Reply

Latest