The Student Room Group

What to wear to a wedding?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to a wedding at the start of May, and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to wear. I'm completely clueless when it comes to fashion and what clothes are appropriate for which occasion, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out :colondollar:

For the wedding itself I'm planning to wear a dress, ideally one which doesn't have a low neckline, and which has long sleeves. Any ideas for what sort of dress styles I should consider? (I'm 5'3 and fairly slim if that helps).

Also, I'm not really sure what to wear for the evening do. At the moment I've got this top, but it doesn't fit me all that well, so it's more of a back-up. Again, any ideas on what would be suitable?

All ideas and suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance! :h:
Get one of these, and you'll be sorted I reckon.

Original post by Supersaps
Get one of these, and you'll be sorted I reckon.

Hmm, that's not quite what I had in mind :lol:
Reply 3
Most people normally wear the same outfit for the whole day.
Original post by Helenia
Most people normally wear the same outfit for the whole day.

Ahh okay, my mum said that we'd need to change into something else for the evening do. I'll mention that to her :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Leviathan1741
Ahh okay, my mum said that we'd need to change into something else for the evening do. I'll mention that to her :smile:

Depends a bit on what the structure of the day is - and I'm making the assumption that this is a standard British wedding, as other cultures may differ. If you are going to the ceremony, reception/meal and then evening party, most people will stay in the same outfit all day. If you're going to the ceremony then going away for a few hours until the evening, people might change, but at all the weddings I've been to they would be a minority. Worrying about/paying for two outfits for every wedding is way too much of a hassle!

I am older than the average TSRian so have been to quite a lot of weddings over the last few years and now have a stock of suitable dresses - not too short, colourful/floral, semi-formal type things. Think Coast/Phase Eight sort of thing - though be careful as both of those shops are popular choices for bridesmaid dresses!
On a slightly more serious note, I would suggest a dress. As it's close to a "summer" wedding, you can definitely opt for something bright and colourful, possibly somewhat short if that's your jam. Absolutely no wearing of the colour white or black unless it's just a splash. You don't want to upstage the bride with white and it's not a funeral or a dinner party so don't go with black.

I would also say this is your one opportunity - outside of Ladies Day at the races to wear an absolutely outrageous hat. I personally feel it's a small fashion crime - or at least a minor sin of opportunity to not wear a hat to a wedding. Unlike men, you don't have to remove them in Church either, if the wedding is inside a church.

My experience of weddings is that it's only really the men that change, possibly from a (morning) suit at the wedding to a tuxedo for am evening dinner reception. It's just that tuxedos are evening wear and morning suits are the formal daytime apparel for men. But this is by no means expected.

SS
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
Depends a bit on what the structure of the day is - and I'm making the assumption that this is a standard British wedding, as other cultures may differ. If you are going to the ceremony, reception/meal and then evening party, most people will stay in the same outfit all day. If you're going to the ceremony then going away for a few hours until the evening, people might change, but at all the weddings I've been to they would be a minority. Worrying about/paying for two outfits for every wedding is way too much of a hassle!

I am older than the average TSRian so have been to quite a lot of weddings over the last few years and now have a stock of suitable dresses - not too short, colourful/floral, semi-formal type things. Think Coast/Phase Eight sort of thing - though be careful as both of those shops are popular choices for bridesmaid dresses!

Yeah, I think it's going to be ceremony, meal then evening party. I will check though, thanks! :smile:
I personally like to wear long gowns that go all the way to my feet, as they're elegant and weddings are one of the very few occasions I can wear one :biggrin:. Any skirt length from that to just above knee length can work too, depending on your style preference. Not too short though cos you're not going clubbing, lol. Fancy jumpsuits are nice too if you prefer to wear trousers :smile:. I think you should try Google Images for wedding guest outfit ideas :yep:
Hi guys

I've had a look around at quite a few different dresses. Would something like this be appropriate? My mum thinks it might be too old fashioned for me (I'm 18), but I'd like your opinions too :smile:
You're just 18 and try not to look for something like business dress, there are so many choices for young lady like you. I think a mini dress for the ceremony and maxi dress for the evening dinner would be perfect.

product-hugerect-539941-144798-1436725623-27867cbe4385f7215a1b70c40eff1b3f.jpg I just simply pick some example for your review, long-sleeved and not low neck-line, at the same time, It shows elegant and young look on the person who wearing it.
http://www.luulla.com/product/449401/bow-long-sleeved-dress

For the evening gown, you may find long-sleeved lace maxi dress with simple design if you not so into sexy category. I found an example for you.
http://www.twinkledeals.com/maxi-dresses/simple-round-collar-3-4-sleeve/p_136046.html

And don't forget to search for the perfect and comfortable "Cinderella" shoes for your dress.:tongue:
Hi guys

I've had a look around at quite a few different dresses. Would something like this be appropriate? My mum thinks it might be too old fashioned for me (I'm 18), but I'd like your opinions too :smile:

It's nice, but I can see your mum's point that it might look a bit old on you.
Original post by Helenia
It's nice, but I can see your mum's point that it might look a bit old on you.

Okay thanks, we will keep looking :h:
I've also identified this one. I quite like it, but I'm worried it might be too short. What do you think? I apologise for asking so many questions, but I really have no idea :redface:
I've also identified this one. I quite like it, but I'm worried it might be too short. What do you think? I apologise for asking so many questions, but I really have no idea :redface:

Knee length should be fine!

I would strongly discourage you from wearing a long white dress like the one someone linked to above :wink:
Original post by Helenia
Knee length should be fine!

I would strongly discourage you from wearing a long white dress like the one someone linked to above :wink:

Thanks Helenia :h:
It's not your wedding so as long as you don't wear a white dress and a veil no one will care what you're wearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest