The Student Room Group

RAF Medic

Hi all,

I'm currently awaiting dates for my PRTC and RTC at halton. Been waiting since early December. As of the title, the role I am applying for is fairly self explanatory.

Its been quite a bumpy and long ride for me to get to where I am now. Just wondering how many other potential medics / any role recruits are sat in a pending status as well, or where other people are up to. My application has been pending for almost three months now, any help / advice on this would be good.

NorthFace :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm currently in the application process at the moment as I'm applying to the RAF to join up in Intelligence. I know you may have already probably done this but have you chased it up with your AFCO ? It just seems slightly odd that you've been pending for a while as the AFCO dealing with my application are really swift at getting the next step of the process done so if you haven't already done this then maybe it's worth contacting them.
Reply 2
Hi SouthernAirman,

the simple answer is yes, it has got to the point where the majority of the Cpl's recognise me by voice alone :biggrin: I am literally checking in every week. The AFCO team have been great though out the process, but on this I feel it is very much out of their hands. I keep getting responses which are very vague. Some vary from, mid Feb to post march, to it can be at any day from now; and short notice.

The time period now is obviously the most frustrating part, I would like a date nailed down to work towards.

What stage in the application are you at?

NorthFace
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi NorthFace,

I know that feeling when the Cpl's recognise you by voice aswell...:biggrin: I am currently in the latter stages of the application process and currently have dates for PRTC and BRTC confirmed so I am looking forward to the closing stages of the process. Obviously when you're keen to get into a job and want to get down to work it can be frustrating but I can't really suggest much more than what you seem to be currently doing which is just to keep in regular contact with your AFCO and hope for the best. Sorry if I haven't really been that much help.

SouthernAirman
Reply 4
Haha! you will also know the feeling you get when you think you are pestering the AFCO guys then!

All the best for PRTC and RTC!

If you do get a second once you have been on PRTC, drop me a direct message / post on here how it went and what to expect! Obviously I have a tirelessly surfed forums online so have a good idea, but first hand experience would be nice :smile:

NorthFace
Cheers for that I'm really looking forward to both of them 👍 I will make sure to post some info about PRTC when I've completed it as I know what a pain it is when you want more information about the process and can't find anything 😤 Anyway all the best for your application and hopefully it'll sort itself out soon enough 🙏

SouthernAirman
Reply 6
Awesome mate cheers! :cheers:

Any other people applying for medic / similar position awaiting dates?

NorthFace
Reply 7
Original post by NorthFace
Awesome mate cheers! :cheers:

Any other people applying for medic / similar position awaiting dates?

NorthFace

I am in exactly the same boat as you. Passed PJFT end of Nov/start of Dec
Reply 8
Original post by rhysowen
I am in exactly the same boat as you. Passed PJFT end of Nov/start of Dec

Right ok i see, what role are you applying for mate?

NorthFace
Reply 9
Right ok i see, what role are you applying for mate?

NorthFace

Medic as well mate
Reply 10
Medic as well mate

Ahhhh right ok, at least im not alone then! :smile:

I can imagine you'll be feeling the similar frustration as me! Let me know if anything changes on your side, as i will do for mine :smile:

NorthFace
Ahhhh right ok, at least im not alone then! :smile:

I can imagine you'll be feeling the similar frustration as me! Let me know if anything changes on your side, as i will do for mine :smile:

NorthFace

The waiting is the worst bit! It's killing me haha. Hows the training going?
Reply 12
Ye waiting sucks! You can not plan your life!

Training is going good, at the gym literally every day! Got my 1.5 mile run down a fair bit! What about yours?

NorthFace
Ye waiting sucks! You can not plan your life!

Training is going good, at the gym literally every day! Got my 1.5 mile run down a fair bit! What about yours?

NorthFace

I'm in the gym every other day. I've been running 5ks to try and improve general fitness, endurance, etc.
I'm gonna give the AFCO on Friday but I doubt we'll see much movement until late March. I'm kinda half expecting the June intake
Reply 14
I'm in the gym every other day. I've been running 5ks to try and improve general fitness, endurance, etc.
I'm gonna give the AFCO on Friday but I doubt we'll see much movement until late March. I'm kinda half expecting the June intake

Ye i have been doing a few 5k runs, im not sure about you but they just bore me on a treadmill! Haha! Much prefer to run them distances outside but the weather is a bit crappy lateley!

Ye my AFCO staff have been hinting towards a june intake, which i do not particularly mind! However give me the exact dates already! Haha!

NorthFace
Ye i have been doing a few 5k runs, im not sure about you but they just bore me on a treadmill! Haha! Much prefer to run them distances outside but the weather is a bit crappy lateley!

Ye my AFCO staff have been hinting towards a june intake, which i do not particularly mind! However give me the exact dates already! Haha!

NorthFace

I've been doing the organised local ParkRun every saturday which keeps my mind occupied. I worked pretty hard at overcoming the mental battle that is 5k on a treadmill haha.
Yeaa can't wait for that phonecall. Will put everything into perspective.
Hey guys!
Ive applied to be a medic however i have already got my PRTC and basic training dates.. I got them two months ago so perhaps try and give your AFCO a call.
Hope this helps
Reply 17
Hello!
I've also applied as a medic and am currently waiting for my PRTC date. When I spoke to the AFCO last week, they told me that the role has been closed for a while now and that everyone who is at our stage is currently being issued with their dates. The said that the PRTC will fall between the 13th June to the 13th July with the earliest I'd start training as the end of August. I don't know if this is just me or if it applies to us all but I thought it might help!
Original post by Slay_maker
Ive got my prtc in 3 weeks and my basic training at the end of June! How strange, usually they like to put the same trades at similar dates

Which for the medical assistant trade will reflect the dates of phase 2 training , to minimise the waitign period between passing out basic and your Defence medic course starting ...
Original post by zippyRN
Which for the medical assistant trade will reflect the dates of phase 2 training , to minimise the waitign period between passing out basic and your Defence medic course starting ...

Exactly therefore its strange that no one else has heard anything about their dates

Quick Reply

Latest