The Student Room Group

Dropping out of second year & getting some form of compensation

I've struggled with my course for the past 12 months (currently in the second year, so roughly half way through) in that it's just not got the breadth, nor the depth that I was expecting / would expect at this level. The pace is unbelievably slow, the content is very high level, and I'll come out of this with a hugely inferior certification compared to counterparts at other institutions.

I'm a mature student at 30, and I have worked in a the IT sector for the past 10 years. My expectations were very high, especially considering the price associated with the course.

Do I have any options to pursue some form of compensation? I could continue with the course, being as I am already half way there, but I am constantly at battle with the thought of shelling out more money for something that absolutely does not deliver in value. I feel like I should cut my losses with it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mcxo
I've struggled with my course for the past 12 months (currently in the second year, so roughly half way through) in that it's just not got the breadth, nor the depth that I was expecting / would expect at this level. The pace is unbelievably slow, the content is very high level, and I'll come out of this with a hugely inferior certification compared to counterparts at other institutions.

I'm a mature student at 30, and I have worked in a the IT sector for the past 10 years. My expectations were very high, especially considering the price associated with the course.

Do I have any options to pursue some form of compensation? I could continue with the course, being as I am already half way there, but I am constantly at battle with the thought of shelling out more money for something that absolutely does not deliver in value. I feel like I should cut my losses with it.

Should've researched the course and style of teaching more.

Don't see how you're trying to squeeze money out of someone for your own fault
Original post by RonnieRJ

Bit of an insensitive response. How do you ever really know the quality of a course (different people have different ideas of what quality is) until you get there?

op, what sort of compensation are you expecting to receive? Do you have a maintenance loan? How are you paying for tuition.
Reply 3
Original post by RonnieRJ

How you have managed to reach that conclusion with the limited information that I've provided so far is beyond me. Do me a favour and duck out of this thread, I was looking for intelligent discussion. Thanks.
Original post by mcxo

What course are you studying? I study ICT. I would stick it out at least then you will have a degree under your belt.
Have you raised your concerns with the lecturers? Student union? Class rep? What responses did you get? What degree are you studying (and why is it a "hugely inferior certification")?

As to compensation - no chance. You had the prospectus and course programme before you started. You could have visited. You could have asked questions. Presumably you were happy with what you were signing up to. Now if there's something materially different to what you were told then you may have a leg to stand on. In that case you should have raised the issues when you discovered them. Did you?
Reply 6
Original post by MountKimbie
Bit of an insensitive response. How do you ever really know the quality of a course (different people have different ideas of what quality is) until you get there?

op, what sort of compensation are you expecting to receive? Do you have a maintenance loan? How are you paying for tuition.

As you say, I don't think that I could have determined the quality of the course without actually taking the course.I would imagine that a significant proportion of tuition fees are attributed to academic delivery and administration, with some being apportioned to ancillary services and maintenance. So, in my mind, I would expect some partial compensation for the academic portion of the fees paid.Fees are paid via student financing.
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
Have you raised your concerns with the lecturers? Student union? Class rep? What responses did you get? What degree are you studying (and why is it a "hugely inferior certification":wink:?

As to compensation - no chance. You had the prospectus and course programme before you started. You could have visited. You could have asked questions. Presumably you were happy with what you were signing up to. Now if there's something materially different to what you were told then you may have a leg to stand on. In that case you should have raised the issues when you discovered them. Did you?

I haven't raised this with anyone at this point, I was looking to gain some impartial guidance / opinions before I pursue anything officially.
Original post by mcxo
As you say, I don't think that I could have determined the quality of the course without actually taking the course.I would imagine that a significant proportion of tuition fees are attributed to academic delivery and administration, with some being apportioned to ancillary services and maintenance. So, in my mind, I would expect some partial compensation for the academic portion of the fees paid.Fees are paid via student financing.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. My advice would be to finish the year and seek advice on if it is possible to transfer to another institution for the final year (the year, academically that matters most).

What university are you at?
Original post by mcxo

Unfortunately you started your course prior to the Competitions & Markets Authority announcing that higher education is covered by consumer law (March 2015) https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/higher-education-consumer-law-advice-for-providers-and-students

Even with that change in law reporting a breach to the CMA wouldn't make you eligible for automatic compensation as the CMA don't deal with individual cases: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/411695/How_to_report_a_potential_consumer_law_breach.pdf

I'd second the advice in post 6 to take this up with your tutor, course rep and Student Union. Depending on the course it might also be worth looking into what transfer options are available (if this is something you're considering then do not wait until the summer to start exploring your options - transfers into yr 3 are rare and often need extra time to arrange).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by MountKimbie
Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. My advice would be to finish the year and seek advice on if it is possible to transfer to another institution for the final year (the year, academically that matters most).

What university are you at?

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to name the university in this thread, I'd rather keep that private in order to protect myself and the name / reputation of the institution.

Transferring to another university could be an option. I'm not sure what the likelihood of this is in the final year, though. I'll have to investigate that.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Unfortunately you started your course prior to the Competitions & Markets Authority announcing that higher education is covered by consumer law (March 2015) https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/higher-education-consumer-law-advice-for-providers-and-students

Even with that change in law reporting a breach to the CMA wouldn't make you eligible for automatic compensation as the CMA don't deal with individual cases: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/411695/How_to_report_a_potential_consumer_law_breach.pdf

I'd second the advice in post 6 to take this up with your tutor, course rep and Student Union. Depending on the course it might also be worth looking into what transfer options are available (if this is something you're considering then do not wait until the summer to start exploring your options - transfers into yr 3 are rare and often need extra time to arrange).

Thanks for your advice and linking me to those documents. I'll check them out and give them a thorough read through.
Original post by mcxo
I haven't raised this with anyone at this point, I was looking to gain some impartial guidance / opinions before I pursue anything officially.

In that case may I suggest you talk to some people about how you're finding the course before you start talking about dropping out and expecting compensation. If your whole class feels the same as you do then there may be a genuine issue which the uni should look into.

You're only a couple of months away from 3rd year, where presumably you get to do a project or dissertation. You may be able to work on something more aligned to your interests/abilities so why not stick it out until then?
Reply 13
In that case may I suggest you talk to some people about how you're finding the course before you start talking about dropping out and expecting compensation. If your whole class feels the same as you do then there may be a genuine issue which the uni should look into.

You're only a couple of months away from 3rd year, where presumably you get to do a project or dissertation. You may be able to work on something more aligned to your interests/abilities so why not stick it out until then?

Obviously I can't appraise the opinion of the whole class, as it's about 100 students in total, but there is a consensus amongst friends who are taking the same course, that there are definite shortcomings in the level of breadth / depth, and pace.
Reply 14

I know that it would make sense to stick it out, I go back and forth with this all of the time, and so far, that school of thought has kept me going. However, it really worries me that I could be putting another £9k (accumulating 13k debt with maintenance loans) into a course that I feel isn't giving me an equal return on the investment.
Reply 15
I am lost ...
compensation for what?
Reply 16
Original post by TeeEm
I am lost ...
compensation for what?

Have you not read the thread?
Reply 17
Original post by mcxo
Have you not read the thread?

I did!
But it makes no sense ...

I go to a University (my choice)
The course does not fall to expectation (personal opinion)
Can I have my money back after one and half year ...

I am truly lost.
Original post by mcxo

Almost two years in and the fact that you've never raised or documented any concerns with the department or university about the course really weakens your case for complaint.
Compensation chances seem negligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by gdunne42
Almost two years in and the fact that you've never raised or documented any concerns with the department or university about the course really weakens your case for complaint.
Compensation chances seem negligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the first year I was giving it time, as everyone was of the opinion that "it's just the first year, it's about acclimating". During the second year, I've bounced between the two schools of thought - stick it out (I've come this far) or cut my losses. The former has always prevailed as the more sensible approach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending