The Student Room Group

Aiming for 90ums+

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Compost
The reformed A levels and AS levels don't have UMS - I know that's not what you asked but you may want to know.

I though you said in a previous thread that marks will be made available on request?

I this now not happening?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=62232733#post62232733
Original post by jneill
I though you said in a previous thread that marks will be made available on request?

I this now not happening?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=62232733#post62232733

On their post is says linear qualifications don't have UMS. All my GCSEs were linear yet I still got UMS...
Reply 22
Original post by jamestg
On their post is says linear qualifications don't have UMS. All my GCSEs were linear yet I still got UMS...

@Compost is a school Exams Officer so should be able to confirm. Seems daft that students won't get marks of some kind.
Original post by jamestg
- less pressure as you can afford to scrape grades if applying to unis which look at UMS.

- you can get complacent with UMS, yeah you got 90/100 but did you really get that score? You could have gotten 40/75 mark wise, and as these A-levels are linear you will be revisiting content you thought you had got to the standard required when in actual fact there are multiple holes in what you know.

I actually would say the opposite about UMS in some ways. Yes it made my exams a bit more stressful but it gave me something to work towards, and personally knowing that UMS would play a role helped me to remember that interview was only a part of the process, whereas if it was more on the interview I think I would have been even more stressed than I was. Regarding UMS making you complacent, yes there is the risk that you might think that you already know all of the content you covered at AS, but firstly UMS is never that extreme and that risk also is present even if you just know that you got say an A in physics.
Original post by samb1234
I actually would say the opposite about UMS in some ways. Yes it made my exams a bit more stressful but it gave me something to work towards, and personally knowing that UMS would play a role helped me to remember that interview was only a part of the process, whereas if it was more on the interview I think I would have been even more stressed than I was. Regarding UMS making you complacent, yes there is the risk that you might think that you already know all of the content you covered at AS, but firstly UMS is never that extreme and that risk also is present even if you just know that you got say an A in physics.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I was just giving the cons of UMS :smile:

I would really like to have UMS for the reasons you stated

I agree with this. Also if there are no UMS points awarded and interviews are likely to be more important then would people who aren't amazing at interviews but have really good extra curriculars, Personal Statement and grades have less of a chance of getting into the uni than if they did have UMS points?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
- less pressure as you can afford to scrape grades if applying to unis which look at UMS.

- you can get complacent with UMS, yeah you got 90/100 but did you really get that score? You could have gotten 40/75 mark wise, and as these A-levels are linear you will be revisiting content you thought you had got to the standard required when in actual fact there are multiple holes in what you know.

Oh okk I didn't think of that loool. But if someone got 90/100 UMS how is it possible that they got 40/75? Wouldn't the mark be higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Oh okk I didn't think of that loool. But if someone got 90/100 UMS how is it possible that they got 40/75? Wouldn't the mark be higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends entirely on the exam grade boundaries. The examiners might have set a very difficult paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Depends entirely on the exam grade boundaries. The examiners might have set a very difficult paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

40/75 is severely exaggerated, the most I have ever seen is 15 marks dropped (maths fm physics chem) for full, so if they designed a paper where 40/75 was 100 the chief examiner would come under serious scrutiny most likely
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
I agree with this. Also if there are no UMS points awarded and interviews are likely to be more important then would people who aren't amazing at interviews but have really good extra curriculars, Personal Statement and grades have less of a chance of getting into the uni than if they did have UMS points?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard to tell, I mean it is a human process so some ATs might put more emphasis on the test, some on previous grades etc etc so it's not like there is a definite answer
40/75 is severely exaggerated, the most I have ever seen is 15 marks dropped (maths fm physics chem) for full, so if they designed a paper where 40/75 was 100 the chief examiner would come under serious scrutiny most likely

Oh okk lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hard to tell, I mean it is a human process so some ATs might put more emphasis on the test, some on previous grades etc etc so it's not like there is a definite answer

Thats true :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

Yes yes, but It was someone elses what if... and for 90 UMS not 100.
Original post by jneill
Yes yes, but It was someone elses what if... and for 90 UMS not 100.

True i should have read it more carefully, still no way 90 would ever be that low unless whoever was writing the paper wanted revenge for something haha.

I wouldn't say severely exaggerated, exaggerated yes.

My point still stands though.
Reply 35
True i should have read it more carefully, still no way 90 would ever be that low unless whoever was writing the paper wanted revenge for something haha.

:smile:

Although a quick google finds me Jun-12 Edexcel Maths M5 was 53/75 for 90%. Not 45 but pretty low...

Arsey's file of all maths past boundaries (up to 2013)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1313284
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Although a quick google finds me Jun-12 Edexcel Maths M5 was 53/75 for 90%. Not 45 but pretty low...

You just love your stats don't you... in all seriousness thanks a lot for the link the edexcel converter is nowhere near as easy to use as that so thank you very much
Original post by RoughER
Just out of interest, is 2 months enough to achieve 90UMS+ in AS (for the sciences in particular)?

Thanks

Definitely worked for me at A2. Just make sure you learn everything on the syllabus inside out and practice applying your knowledge on as many questions as possible.
Original post by jneill

cray cray:bban:
Reply 39
You just love your stats don't you... in all seriousness thanks a lot for the link the edexcel converter is nowhere near as easy to use as that so thank you very much

We just need to get @Arsey to update it :wink:

Original post by Duke Glacia
cray cray

I see what you did there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest