The Student Room Group

German Cafes Stop Selling Pork Sausages to Spare Muslim Refugees' Feelings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheArtofProtest
Then please, if it offends you so much, then might I suggest that you do not frequent such establishments?

First of all, I do not normally patronise any establishment that sells only halal or kosher food.

Secondly, and importantly, many do not declare that they only sell halal food, which is insidious and unacceptable.

As someone who attempts to portray himself as a rational, you do descend into irrationality at times.

You have not hear about the so-called sharia patrols, several of whose perpetrators have been convicted and gaoled, then? They have cropped up in several parts of Europe, including several British towns and cities, Belgium and Germany, and have attempted to impose Islamic values on non-Moslems by intimidation.
Original post by Good bloke
Secondly, and importantly, many do not declare that they only sell halal food, which is insidious and unacceptable.

You have not hear about the so-called sharia patrols, several of whose perpetrators have been convicted and gaoled, then? They have cropped up in several parts of Europe, including several British towns and cities, Belgium and Germany, and have attempted to impose Islamic values on non-Moslems by intimidation.

What is so insidious and unacceptable about only selling halal food?

Sharia patrols are mostly harmless... and have little to do with this topic anyway
Nor should anyone feel the need to declare what type of meat they sell, unless specifically asked.

The law allows halal meat as an exception to the normal humane methods of killing as an exceptional concession to those with particular superstitious beliefs. It should not be or become the norm.
Nor should anyone feel the need to declare what type of meat they sell, unless specifically asked.

If one is so concerned, then you can ask the person that is serving you. If it is not to your taste, then simply exercise your right to leave.

I have no beef with them.

It looks like they have been unsuccessful and will continue to be unsuccessful.

or pork

:ahee:

I have no beef with them.

It looks like they have been unsuccessful and will continue to be unsuccessful.

I note that you don't mind people intimidating others, as long as they hold similar views to you. They are unsuccessful because they break the law and because they seek to go against our cultural norms in an aggressive manner, for which there will always be firm and vocal opposition.
Original post by Mathemagicien
What is so insidious and unacceptable about only selling halal food?

Sharia patrols are mostly harmless... and have little to do with this topic anyway

Se post 70.
The law allows halal meat as an exception to the normal humane methods of killing as an exceptional concession to those with particular superstitious beliefs. It should not be or become the norm.

Why not?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Why not?

Because it is not humane, and using it for general slaughter is illegal.
So does the increase in Nando's restaurant popularity mean that the Portuguese are taking over Britain?
Original post by Alcohonick
So does the increase in Nando's restaurant popularity mean that the Portuguese are taking over Britain?

Yes, there are halal Nandos too so its muslamic portugeeses.

Nando's is South African.
It's a businesses choice

But it's the customers who have the power all you have to do is simply don't become a patron of such places.
Original post by JordanL_
Business makes decision to cater to it's customers?

Shocking!!!!! What is Europe coming to!!!!!

A business should indeed be able to make its own decisions. However, we do not have to agree with those decisions.

If these cafes have indeed stopped selling pork products, it doesn't seem particularly fair on the locals. The refugees don't have to eat the pork in the first place, and it sets the precedent that the host population can and will sacrifice its cultural norms and culinary preferences in order to cater (or perhaps pander) to foreign residents' beliefs. If I was a refugee, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing my presence is restricting what foods they can buy.
Because it is not humane, and using it for general slaughter is illegal.

It's production also falls short regarding equality legislation

Some of us are campaigning to get it removed from all public institutions because of this fact.
Nando's is South African.

Joke, right? Nandos is Portuguese-style and was invented by a Portuguese man, it was inspired by a Portuguese takeaway (chickenland) and it uses ingredients originating from Portugal and Mozambique.

Just because it was first thought of in South Africa, it doesn't make it South African. Everything about it makes it Portuguese.

That's like saying the hundreds of Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, London, are English restaurants.

And even if your pointless comment was applicable, the statement can simply be changed to "So does the increase in Nando's restaurant popularity mean that the South African are taking over Britain?" - making your argument still at the standstill it has been for four pages.

It is poor business practice to not adapt and target likely customers.

The other issue being that buisnesses have to stop serving one type of food to gain another group as a customer.

In a similar way most places will add a vegetarian option to attract vegetarians, not stop serving meat all together.

And then there is finally the point that muslims refusal to eat pork, and therefore the reason cafes would have to make this choice, is based on ignorance, not of morality or anything else.
Reply 76
Original post by JordanL_
Business makes decision to cater to it's customers?

Shocking!!!!! What is Europe coming to!!!!!

Exactly, just another one of these non stories that some people love to be outraged over and make out that it's because of pressure from those darned evil Muslims, even though in reality it's just a business decision to cater to some of their customers, possibly even as a nice gesture, what's wrong with that? If the story was 'German Government forces cafes to stop selling pork sausages' then there'd be a problem, but that isn't the story, so I don't see the fuss over this.
(edited 8 years ago)
And the strongest way to not agree with those decisions is to not frequent such establishments.

Whether it is fair on the locals, who are affected, is largely irrelevant. Customers who eat pork have been weighed against an increase in people who would frequent the cafe.

If the cafe continued to serve pork and became unsustainable and had to close, the rhetoric that migrants are destroying our businesses will come to the fore.

It is poor business practice to not adapt and target likely customers.

I'm not questioning the cafes' logic; I'm questioning the ethics of the situation. It isn't right that these establishments should feel pressured into ceasing the sale of pork products to the locals because the refugees are uncomfortable with it. This is part of the reason why hostilities towards the refugees are growing.

EDIT: And presumably the cafes were able to sustain themselves before the arrival of the refugees. Why would they lose their existing clientele by continuing the sale of pork products? I can understand that they may want to increase revenue, but see again my first paragraph.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
I'm not questioning the cafes' logic; I'm questioning the ethics of the situation. It isn't right that these establishments should feel pressured into ceasing the sale of pork products to the locals because the refugees are uncomfortable with it. This is part of the reason why hostilities towards the refugees are growing.

EDIT: And presumably the cafes were able to sustain themselves before the arrival of the refugees. Why would they lose their existing clientele by continuing the sale of pork products? I can understand that they may want to increase revenue, but see again my first paragraph.

Supply and demand.

Deal with it, there's a high demand for non-pork products because of the Muslim refugee influx. So businesses aren't going to wither and die in a lack of sales, they adapt. Just as they have been for the last 21 centuries. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Pork is also considered by some experts to be one of the least healthy meats around, regardless.

Pork is also considered by some experts to be one of the least healthy meats around, regardless.

Which experts? I'd have thought chicken was far more dangerous.

http://www.livescience.com/28973-risky-meat-foodborne-illness.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending