The Student Room Group

How do you break off a long distance relationship?

I don't see the point anymore, I can't spend time with her because one of us is caught up in something when the others free.
And seeing each other like once every so often kills me a little bit inside.

What do I say?
Say what you're feeling, that you really do care but the distance is making it too difficult and you can't carry on with it.

What kind of distance are you talking? I'd say face-face is the way to go, but obviously that might be difficult depending on how far it is.
Well she is in scotland and I am in portsmouth :frown: so yeah veryyy far and I have but it didn't work?

Original post by dean01234
Say what you're feeling, that you really do care but the distance is making it too difficult and you can't carry on with it.

What kind of distance are you talking? I'd say face-face is the way to go, but obviously that might be difficult depending on how far it is.
how long have you been together?
Original post by luminarychild
Well she is in scotland and I am in portsmouth :frown: so yeah veryyy far and I have but it didn't work?

I think maybe you need to be firmer with it, say that its not working for you in the same way that is used to and that as much as you want it to work, its just not right for you anymore.

Take away point: Be honest about what you're feeling and be clear about what you want rather than leaving her thinking that you might change your mind. (If that is actually what you want, I don't know much about LDR's but with some effort you might be able to get it to work)
(edited 8 years ago)
Talk to her about how you feel, that the distance is hurting you now.
If she feels the same way then you can go forward and end things there since it would be better for the both of you.
If she's still happy with how things are, still let her know that's hurting you and you two can talk about if from there
I hope you're both okay in the end, whatever you choose to do :smile: xxx
Ring her and tell her how you feel, at least try and break up over the phone rather than just a text.
Reply 7
I'd recommend clearing things with her before making your final decision. It would be best if both of you reach to this agreement. I was once in a long distance relationship (7,000 miles apart) and not trying to discourage you or anything, it ended unpleasant. Tell her the truth about what you feel. Eventually, the truth will set you free, man.
say this distance thing aint working out so bye bye
Well whatever you do... Do NOT break up with the person over text! That's probably the worst thing you could do. Assuming you've seen this person in some form, either call them up via the phone, or better, a VoIP program that allows you to talk, face to face e.g. Skype. As to going about the break up... Just get to the point, clearly tell this person how you feel.
Honestly, I think you're right to break up.
From my experience both having been in and seen long distance relationships unfold the majority of the time it ends in heartbreak. Especially if you're both at uni because like you say, you're always busy when the other one isn't, you're trying to fit into a new location, social group, etc. It's all too much. Not to mention most students can't afford to be in a LDR. (My LDR used to cost me £300 a month due to travel etc!!)
Uni is the best time to be experimenting and having fun, don't tie yourself to something that isn't really there.

In regards to doing the deed, explain to her what you've just told us and then say you've thought about it for a couple of day now and you've decided that you want to break up. Don't let her try to talk you out of it just do it and then try and get away as quickly as possible.

Keep busy and you'll soon be over her.

Trust!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't break up with me

ha im actually moving to portsmouth soon
but given out last convo, your r.sheep must be relatively new
Original post by shawtyb
ha im actually moving to portsmouth soon
but given out last convo, your r.sheep must be relatively new

:rofl:

Omg really? when are you moving down :smile: ?
:rofl:

Omg really? when are you moving down :smile: ?

not sure yet but it will be to thorney island
Original post by shawtyb
not sure yet but it will be to thorney island

That's west sussex? I will probably see you around if I decide to go to sussex uni :smile:

How come your moving though?
That's west sussex? I will probably see you around if I decide to go to sussex uni :smile:

How come your moving though?

meh, still in the area haha
moving with the boyf :smile: fresh start etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending