The Student Room Group

Best A levels for a maths degree?

My school have asked us to choose our A level options for the sixth form. I would like to study maths at university after I leave school and would really like to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I have already decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Spanish but I can choose one more and I can't decide between French and Chemistry. Does it really matter what I pick? I think Chemistry might be slightly easier but I also know that choosing French would probably make me stand out more. I got A*s in my mocks so that didn't help much. Do you have any advice?

Scroll to see replies

There really isn't any need to do 5 A-levels, and doing so would probably kill off all your remaining 'free' time.
Original post by Mayhem™
There really isn't any need to do 5 A-levels, and doing so would probably kill off all your remaining 'free' time.

If we do Further Maths, they make us do 5.
Original post by Matt_Barber00
My school have asked us to choose our A level options for the sixth form. I would like to study maths at university after I leave school and would really like to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I have already decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Spanish but I can choose one more and I can't decide between French and Chemistry. Does it really matter what I pick? I think Chemistry might be slightly easier but I also know that choosing French would probably make me stand out more. I got A*s in my mocks so that didn't help much. Do you have any advice?

My advice is to not take more A-levels than you need. :h: those 4 seem fine.

I would suggest trying to sort out something with your school about that Further Maths rule - it sounds silly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM

If we choose Further Maths, they make us do 5 at AS.
Original post by SeanFM

I would suggest trying to sort out something with your school about that Further Maths rule - it sounds silly.

OK, thank you.
Reply 6

Why you taking so many? Taking 4 might be a better idea, since you like maths why not say physics, maths, f maths and add f maths? Just do all the units available in the maths a levels

Also how does French make you stand out more as a maths applicant to Oxbridge? I don't think they'd honestly care so don't worry :wink:
If we choose Further Maths, they make us do 5 at AS.

I thought AS levels were being 'scrapped'? The only AS(which will lead to A2) i'll be doing is Maths.
Original post by Mayhem™
I thought AS levels were being 'scrapped'? The only AS(which will lead to A2) i'll be doing is Maths.

I'm not sure. They definitely make us do them in Year 12.
Reply 9
I agree with everyone above, 4 AS is plenty for me!

If you want to do 5 AS, doing two languages could be confusing and lots of work. Out of the two you've chosen I would say Chem but have you never thought of somethings like Business, Accounting or Economics?? It's something new and everyone I know loves the subjects
We're being made to do 3 A levels and an EPQ (with the exception of further maths), so I'm guessing those 4 should be fine and that you won't need a fifth.
Reply 11
Yh chemistry or economics because that is very maths related I would drop Spanish and do maths further maths physics chemistry and economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure. They definitely make us do them in Year 12.

You don't sit your actual AS exams for the linear courses anymore (eg physics you will do both AS and A2 exams at the end of year 13). They might make you sit mocks but that's about it. Maths remains modular until 2017

Yeah we have to do 5 with further too. Chemistrys probably slightly more relevant to doing a science degree and is slightly more impressive (is meant to be one of the hardest) because you're already doing 1 language which will look impressive enough.
Original post by Mayhem™

They're not being scrapped, they just don't count towards a full A-level grade anymore.

Think of it as retaking all of your AS units as well as doing A2 stuff.
Hmmm... Definitely choose Maths as one.
Original post by RonnieRJ
You don't sit your actual AS exams for the linear courses anymore (eg physics you will do both AS and A2 exams at the end of year 13). They might make you sit mocks but that's about it. Maths remains modular until 2017

Thank god
Original post by jamestg
They're not being scrapped, they just don't count towards a full A-level grade anymore.

Think of it as retaking all of your AS units as well as doing A2 stuff.

oh I see, thanks for clarifying :smile:
Maths, FM are the obvious ones. Physics/Economics/Chemistry/Business/Computing would be fine. I'm probably missing out a few too
Original post by jamestg
Thank god

Lol good luck 2018 year 13s doing maths and FM, 12 maths exams

Quick Reply

Latest